How Concerned Should We Be?

Chicago White Sox

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, but it doesn't matter. 

Everything could be fine and dandy in 4 weeks, but the vibe given off is one of a team about to massively disappoint. There's an aura of complacency and indifference. They think they're just going to coast to the playoffs. 

But but but not in first place alone until May 7th last year....

Edited by caulfield12

I am really just not worried about this division. I think if the Sox play 10 games under their potential, they probably still easily win the division by 4 games with 86-88 wins. Worst case scenario is probably three teams bunched at 80-82 including the Sox til the end.

They aren’t really playing close to well outside of the bullpen and Cease, and we are really, really injured with the top two starting pitchers out, with Moncada and Pollack, and Jimenez and Robert down. Somehow we are still somehow 6-6. I look at that as a miracle. 

Trying to see the positive moving forward, I am hoping La Russa is just using April as a time to see what players can do in different roles while managing injuries, and that he will settle on a basic lineup when everyone’s back. My hope is that the roster clarifies itself significantly by May 1. 

Please, please get everyone healthy by June 1. A completely healthy lineup and rotation in hot summer weather should crush the ball and destroy competition. I could see us having a 2000ish June at like 20-6.

Edited by Greg Hibbard
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I am really just not worried about this division. I think if the Sox play 10 games under their potential, they probably still easily win the division by 4 games with 86-88 wins. Worst case scenario is probably three teams bunched at 80-82 including the Sox til the end.

They aren’t really playing close to well outside of the bullpen and Cease, and we are really, really injured with the top two starting pitchers out, with Moncada and Pollack, and Jimenez and Robert down. Somehow we are still somehow 6-6. I look at that as a miracle. 

Trying to see the positive moving forward, I am hoping La Russa is just using April as a time to see what players can do in different roles while managing injuries, and that he will settle on a basic lineup when everyone’s back. My hope is that the roster clarifies itself significantly by May 1. 

Please, please get everyone healthy by June 1. A completely healthy lineup and rotation in hot summer weather should crush the ball and destroy competition. I could see us having a 2000ish June at like 20-6.

This might be the wrong thread to make this comment, but the mediocrity of 6-6 made me once again wonder if playing the same teams in the division 19 times will pretty much doom the Sox to mediocrity. These teams know each other so well that I would think the Sox will get boatraced in a ton of road games vs. division teams. Sox will win a ton of the home games unless they are so bored by divisional matchups. Yeah yeah, Cleveland, KC, Detroit, Minnie, ho hum. Problem is Sox can lose to anybody in that division on a given night on the road. With attendance down in baseball according to reports I heard on the radio today which may or may not be true, it got me to wondering again if our Sox get bored playing these lousy AL Central teams so often.

I still think Sox will win the division handily UNLESS injuries persist all season. Sox scrubs are not very good (bullpen is nothing special and when top two starters are out the rotation blows) and so far I'm not a fan of our new second baseman starter and new backup catcher. What was wrong with Collins?

Edited by greg775

42 minutes ago, greg775 said:

This might be the wrong thread to make this comment, but the mediocrity of 6-6 made me once again wonder if playing the same teams in the division 19 times will pretty much doom the Sox to mediocrity. These teams know each other so well that I would think the Sox will get boatraced in a ton of road games vs. division teams. Sox will win a ton of the home games unless they are so bored by divisional matchups. Yeah yeah, Cleveland, KC, Detroit, Minnie, ho hum. Problem is Sox can lose to anybody in that division on a given night on the road. With attendance down in baseball according to reports I heard on the radio today which may or may not be true, it got me to wondering again if our Sox get bored playing these lousy AL Central teams so often.

I still think Sox will win the division handily UNLESS injuries persist all season. Sox scrubs are not very good (bullpen is nothing special and when top two starters are out the rotation blows) and so far I'm not a fan of our new second baseman starter and new backup catcher. What was wrong with Collins?

Collins could neither hit not catch well with the White Sox. Like Grandal, he could take a walk.  He's actually doing much better in Toronto and getting some playing time.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Has anyone in the media questioned Tony on his reasoning to hit Leury 3rd?  Seems like something James Fegan would be all over.  The rest of the media not so much.

This was before the game yesterday:

Ironically of course Leury had a base running blunder yesterday after taking a walk.

4 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

very little

we've won every series except this one and it was under strange circumstances

Wouldn’t it be nice if getting into the playoffs and deciding seeds was based on series wins instead of games won?  We’re still 6-6, series wins doesn’t mean anything.  

• Thanks 1

One thing is that the baseball season is very long, but regardless it sucks when the sox play suck.

The checkbox of things of sox to improve to help vs. elite pitching are basically all contained within AJ pollock in terms of where that was actually addressed. Harrison is our latest 30 year old + vet signing after a terrible second half that was a sign of imminent collapse that Hahn boxed himself into.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Series wins sounds more like the qualifying for the BCS Power 5 beauty pageant.

Irrelevant.

Not who you play.  It's when you play 'em.

Lol, winning series in baseball is extremely relevant. 

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

One thing is that the baseball season is very long, but regardless it sucks when the sox play suck.

The checkbox of things of sox to improve to help vs. elite pitching are basically all contained within AJ pollock in terms of where that was actually addressed. Harrison is our latest 30 year old + vet signing after a terrible second half that was a sign of imminent collapse that Hahn boxed himself into.

Or was it LaRussa?  Inquiring minds want to know.  Because all you had to do was look at his age and fWAR in 2018, 2019 and 2020.  A complete roll of the dice for what should have been the easiest 2-2.5 fWAR complementary piece of the puzzle.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Or was it LaRussa?  Inquiring minds want to know.  Because all you had to do was look at his age and fWAR in 2018, 2019 and 2020.  A complete roll of the dice for what should have been the easiest 2-2.5 fWAR complementary piece of the puzzle.

Completely bored by this.

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Just like the fans are completely bored with Harrison and Leury...we have become a team that went from dynamic last summer to whatever this is now.  Listless.

I can feel my brain turning into a black hole that will consume all mass around me as I read this post.

• Like 2

Eloy has a LA of 4.5 this season. He is closer to Madrigals than anyone this season. The White Sox philosophy of "just put the bat on the ball" isnt working with Eloy. Hopefully Pollock can teach him something that he learned from a real organization 

Starting to wonder if hes a bust, maybe not his fault 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I can feel my brain turning into a black hole that will consume all mass around me as I read this post.

Don’t fret too much.  Two-Gun Pete will soon take my place doubling down.  Perhaps Thad Bosley with a reappearance?

Let’s not edge towards that abyss that was WSI, please.  The mods here are generally solid, but it doesn’t improve the board when they are mean-spirited or bullying.  I don’t ever recall saying anything to deliberately insult you in a decade plus of posting.   You are better than that, I hope.   At least Southsider2k5 keeps his attacks more generically directed at the Sox fanbase at-large, which is fair enough.  

This thing of attacking posters like rabid wolf packs is kind of a strange phenomenon.  Then others start to feed off that and it slowly starts to evolve into the general tenor of board conversation.  

Edited by caulfield12