Eloy Out 6-8 Weeks

Chick Mercedes

10 hours ago, tray said:

I don't really care what some think of Eloy or his injuries.. Without him in the line-up, this team is less interesting to some fans (including those who go to a lot of games, like me) , and more importantly, Eloy  will be missed by  certain WSox players including Abreu,  Moncada, and Robert.

Did anyone actually say otherwise? I have yet to see that on any page in any thread since the injury.

I don't think anyone here is saying "Yes! Now Adam Haseley can play every day! Leury Garcia, now he's guaranteed to continue playing every day!"

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

Did anyone actually say otherwise? I have yet to see that on any page in any thread since the injury.

I agree with Tray about almost nothing but do agree this team is less interesting without Eloy. His offensive talent is so tantalizing. But he certainly wasn’t interesting in his short samples in 21 and 22. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I agree with Tray about almost nothing but do agree this team is less interesting without Eloy. His offensive talent is so tantalizing. But he certainly wasn’t interesting in his short samples in 21 and 22. 

I know and I agree with him too. Just wondering if anyone actually said otherwise the past 2 days as his post seems to imply.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

58 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I don't think anyone here is saying "Yes! Now Adam Haseley can play every day! Leury Garcia, now he's guaranteed to continue playing every day!"

NO one did.

Let's go all in here.

There isn't a person who calls themselves a Sox fan who doesn't want Eloy's bat in the line up.  The idea for a while now has been putting Eloy in a position to protect himself from himself so that he can stay healthy enough to get towards his potential.  We have seen him hurt himself multiple times in LF, so the idea was to save him by DHing him a lot more.  Now we see him hurt himself running to 1B.  Not sure how you get in between his ears to stop that little voice in his head in this case, but someone needs to figure it out.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

That and concern he will get hurt. I am concerned when I see a ball hit to left, when I see him run the bases, and when he takes a swing. 

14 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

That and concern he will get hurt. I am concerned when I see a ball hit to left, when I see him run the bases, and when he takes a swing. 

Yep.  Unfortunately that is kind of the case for all three of the elite offensive prospects from the rebuild.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, chw42 said:

How is the injury similar at all to Grandal and Lynn's injuries? Those were knee injuries, this is a hamstring.

The hamstrings crosses behind the knee to attach to either the tibia or fibula.

Edited by ptatc

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Hahn explains the surgery here. When you have 3 guys go down to the same type of injury, we're clearly doing something wrong in the strength and conditioning department. 

This seems so bizarre.  I still can't fathom the hamstring tendon repair that would take only 6-8 weeks from which to recuperate. It must just be a partial teat and they are going in and cleaning it up.

It's not technically the knee but the hamstrings cross behind the knee to attach to either the tibia or fibula depending on if uts the medial or lateral hamstrings.

They do remove part of the semitendonosis to use as a graft fir certain ACL reconstructions. Maybe it's like that and they are just using it to augment the tendon.

5 minutes ago, pcq said:

Not  worried about Goofy out of the lineup.

Eloy was my guy, but I think I am just about ready to move on.  Truthfully, we're damn close to the point that anything meaningful we get from Eloy moving forward is gravy.  He's never going to stay healthy for extended stretches, and while he hasn't been able to actually play much, he just really hasn't been that good since 2020.  And even then he was a deeply flawed player.  

When I say move on, I don't mean literally.  He's not going anywhere.  You simply cannot trade him at this point, but I just don't really expect much at all from him moving forward. Makes me sad. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Eloy was my guy, but I think I am just about ready to move on.  Truthfully, we're damn close to the point that anything meaningful we get from Eloy moving forward is gravy.  He's never going to stay healthy for extended stretches, and while he hasn't been able to actually play much, he just really hasn't been that good since 2020.  And even then he was a deeply flawed player.  

When I say move on, I don't mean literally.  He's not going anywhere.  You simply cannot trade him at this point, but I just don't really expect much at all from him moving forward. Makes me sad. 

At this point EJ is more of a depth piece. Open field now for AV. 

On 4/23/2022 at 11:33 PM, chw42 said:

He's not gonna have a lot of trade value since he starts making a decent amount of money stating next year. 

I've moved on (mentally) from Eloy. He's no longer a great prospect. He gets hurt a lot and that's that. He's not going to stay healthy period. Maybe if he changes his body. Actually lose so much weight he looks like Claudell Washington rather than the current adonis figure, Eloy. Big Hurt was a big guy. Maybe Eloy should meet with Hurt and ask him his secret to staying healthy. But I'm mentally done with Eloy. In "my mind" he'll never be healthy for more than a very short period of time. Not with the sudden movements u need to make in LF as well as racing back into the wall; and the sudden bursts it takes to hustle out ground balls.

Next man up. Eloy is injury prone, folks, and it ain't changing (IMO).

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

This seems so bizarre.  I still can't fathom the hamstring tendon repair that would take only 6-8 weeks from which to recuperate. It must just be a partial teat and they are going in and cleaning it up.

It's not technically the knee but the hamstrings cross behind the knee to attach to either the tibia or fibula depending on if uts the medial or lateral hamstrings.

They do remove part of the semitendonosis to use as a graft fir certain ACL reconstructions. Maybe it's like that and they are just using it to augment the tendon.

Thanks for your posts ptatc. Let's see how long Eloy is out ... I'll go 12 weeks if Sox are lucky. He won't be back from surgery in 8 weeks IMO. They'll have to be cautious with him for obvious reasons. That said, best of luck to Eloy. Has to suck being out.

From Rick Hahn:

"Jiménez suffered what was originally termed a right hamstring strain during the second inning of Saturday’s loss to the Twins while running hard out of the batter’s box to beat an infield grounder to third in the second inning. If this particular procedure sounds familiar, it’s because catcher Yasmani Grandal had the same one done last season, and right-handed starter Lance Lynn went through a similar process before the start of the 2022 campaign.

Hahn understands there’s a certain level of depression that sets in for any player who deals with a season-altering setback, something Jiménez discussed last year concerning his time away, but he isn’t worried about Jiménez with the knowledge of the 25-year old’s tremendous makeup.*

Hahn was not happy with Jiménez being characterized as injury prone, which he caught wind of at some point prior to Tuesday’s media session. He referred to such a statement as “some lazy analysis.”

“Couldn’t be further from the truth in terms of the fact he’s missing significant time this year and last year, that’s the extent of you can call the guy injury prone,” Hahn said. “He made a bad decision last year trying to make a play. This year, trying to get to a level he barely accessed all year, that’s more a guy trying to do everything he can to help his team to win, even if it’s perhaps not the right decision at the time.

“That’s not a guy who is injury prone. That’s just a moniker that, again, people try to besmirch a guy’s ability with an unfair label to put on someone like that. Whether they’re spouting stuff told them by others, it’s just unfair.”

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/rick-hahn-talks-about-eloy-jimenez-white-sox

* Note on the approximate age....Stone said he recalls way way back when Eloy (appx 25 years old) was a young player , blah-blah.. but then refers to Vaughn  (appx 24 years old) as a young player with unlimited potential and would not trade him for anyone short of Ohtani.  Stone is also the  one that has spouted off about  Eloy about being injury prone and besmirched him on numerous occasions. That has been spouted here  and regurgitated like vomit in peoples mouths.

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2022 at 4:09 PM, caulfield12 said:

Jimenez might have gained a little weight but it's not the primary reason for all of his injuries. He's just not well coordinated and always manages to get himself in awkward positions.

Landed with his heel on top of the bag and his toes on the ground.  He never learned that the fastest and safest way to first is to land on the front part of the bag.  He's still my favorite Sox of the moment and it could have been worse than 6-8 weeks.