What The Actual F# Is Wrong With This Team?

Tnetennba

19 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Serious question.  

This is what is wrong with this team:

Veeck was forced to sell the team, rejecting offers from ownership groups intent on moving the club to Denver and eventually agreeing to sell it to Ed DeBartolo, the only prospective owner who promised to keep the White Sox in Chicago. However, DeBartolo was rejected by the owners, and the club was then sold to a group headed by Jerry Reinsdorf and Eddie Einhorn.

Everything else was caused by this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, ptatc said:

I've always disagreed with this take. Baseball is the only game where the coach can't choose the player in an important situation

In football when it's at the end of the game and they need a touchdown, they pick the WR or RB for the game winning play. In basketball, get the ball to the best shooter for the last second shot.

In baseball, with 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth down one run who does the manager pick to hit.....whoevers turn it us in the lineup. Its the only sport where the team needs to rely on the non-star players in important situations.

From my perspective everything you said reinforces my opinion. The fate of an entire team comes down to the individual performance of a single player, against another player. How can a sport be LESS about the team???

49 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

From my perspective everything you said reinforces my opinion. The fate of an entire team comes down to the individual performance of a single player, against another player. How can a sport be LESS about the team???

The fielders don't have an impact against a batted ball?

What you're saying is true. However I just look at it as the team must depend more on non-star players than they do in other sports.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The fielders don't have an impact against a batted ball?

What you're saying is true. However I just look at it as the team must depend more on non-star players than they do in other sports.

No, not really. That's why stats such as XBA exist. The majority of all balls hit are going to either be a hit, or an out, as soon as they leave the bat. That's just the game as it exists today. 

7 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

No, not really. That's why stats such as XBA exist. The majority of all balls hit are going to either be a hit, or an out, as soon as they leave the bat. That's just the game as it exists today. 

Whether a ball is hit in the air vs. on the ground or not hit at all often relies on a pitchers ability to induce a certain outcome. For instance, some pitchers are better than others at inducing ground balls and when that happens, there is now a reliance on the fielder or fielders to perform their part, which might include several players touching the ball. In order to facilitate the desired outcome, the Catcher signals for a certain pitch to be thrown to a certain location. Based upon the pitchers approach and a particular hitters tendencies, the infielders might shift to defend certain areas (same w/OF). At the end of the day, of course, as in any sport, there is a need to perform your role better than the person lined up across from you but to suggest 'the fate of an entire team comes down to the individual performance of a single player',  way oversimplifies the subtle aspects of the game that are the very definition of a team sport.     

• Like 1

In Order

1. Larussa

2. Reinsdorf

3. Horrendous offseason signings that were horrendous from the start (Garcia, Harrison, Velasquez, no Rodon QO). Can blame this on Hahn/Reinsdoft 

4.  Bad Defense

5. Too redundant of an offensive team (we knew these and didn't address it)..

6. Injuries

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin
  • Like 1

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

4.  Bad Defense

Cold weather and deadened ball have led to low scoring games.  You can't have bad defense if you aren't hanging crooked numbers.

No Moncada and Tim not performing anywhere near his career average has been a death sentence but Hahn is ultimately to blame.  DHs all over the diamond.  

• Like 1

Mediocre stretch of ten games? There are injuries but we always knew there would be.

It’s April 25th and they’re a game and half back. I don’t like TLR either but you’re going to see this stretch at least a couple more times no matter WHAT the batting order is, even if the team wins it all this year.

5 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Mediocre stretch of ten games? There are injuries but we always knew there would be.

It’s April 25th and they’re a game and half back. I don’t like TLR either but you’re going to see this stretch at least a couple more times no matter WHAT the batting order is, even if the team wins it all this year.

Just twice in MLB history though for WS winning teams.  83-79 Cardinals lost eight consecutive games TWICE...1953 Yankees lost nine in a row in early July, that's the record.

So historical odds not in their favor despite how weak or vulnerable the entire division looks, overall.

Edited by caulfield12