What The Actual F# Is Wrong With This Team?

Tnetennba

I think the Sox are going to have a 5th starter problem the whole season. When VV is your best option for that role, you have problems. 

Shit I think it's time to give Lambert a look. He might suck but at least he's cheaper than the others. At this point I think Cueto gets released from his MiLB contract. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

No doubt that injuries have hurt but I have bigger issues with TLR.

The man should have never been hired, I was against the signing from the get go. I'm not sure at his age if he man can relate to our guys, I'd love to see a younger guy at the helm.

I'm also wondering if at 86 years old J.R might be losing it and running a baseball franchise is too much for him. What his thought process was in the hiring TLR would be interesing. 

The team since the mid point of 2021 is basically a .500 team and was a flop in the Playoffs as we watched TLR make a lot of bungling moves which had all of us scratching our heads.

Living in Florida I watch a lot of Rays and Marlins games along with the Sox and to me when I watch the Sox there is something missing, I see a lot of bad fundamentals, I see dumb baseball and I see a team with no sense of urgency, I'm not sure these guys are as good as everyone and themselves think.  A team  just doesn't start playing winning baseball at the flip of a switch, you have to work at it and sometimes I wonder if the work ethic is there with them.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

No doubt that injuries have hurt but I have bigger issues with TLR.

The man should have never been hired, I was against the signing from the get go. I'm not sure at his age if he man can relate to our guys, I'd love to see a younger guy at the helm.

I'm also wondering if at 86 years old J.R might be losing it and running a baseball franchise is too much for him. What his thought process was in the hiring TLR would be interesing. 

The team since the mid point of 2021 is basically a .500 team and was a flop in the Playoffs as we watched TLR make a lot of bungling moves which had all of us scratching our heads.

Living in Florida I watch a lot of Rays and Marlins games along with the Sox and to me when I watch the Sox there is something missing, I see a lot of bad fundamentals, I see dumb baseball and I see a team with no sense of urgency, I'm not sure these guys are as good as everyone and themselves think.  A team  just doesn't start playing winning baseball at the flip of a switch, you have to work at it and simetimes I wonder if the work ethic is there with them.

Modern baseball is all about youth and fundamentals, this team is haunted by 1980s mentality and decrepit mgmt.

JR has been an absolute abortion of an owner who has consistently make awful mgmt decisions. Lucked into MJ with the Bulls, lucked into lightening in a bottle in 2005. None of that team's amazing vibe exists in the current team, they're not going anywhere. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

Good quotes from Menechino: 

“But the thing is, that approach works against everybody,” hitting coach Frank Menechino said, referencing how the Sox resisted their pull-happy nature to jump on the pitches they could more easily trust weren’t sliders. He wants his offense to be content to pepper the opposite field with singles; not because he thinks it’s the platonic ideal of offense, but he believes it will help coax the inner-half heaters that this team crushes.

“Especially the way they want to pitch us,” he said. “They know we can hit fastballs so you know when it’s time to make an adjustment.”

“We’re getting slider’d to death, we’re getting offspeed to death,” Menechino said. “We’ve been more aggressive, especially on the fastball, and teams have recognized that and now they’re going to try to make us have patience, they’re going to tease us in and out of the zone, especially with offspeed. If you’re not taking your walks, you’re falling into their plan.”

“If you’re going to go out there and put 0-0 pitches weakly into play that’s not it,” Menechino said. “You can’t lose your approach after an 0-1 count. You can’t lose your approach up there. And if you have a good two-strike approach you don’t mind waiting that pitcher out, fouling balls off and not chasing, changing your location the way you’re looking. All that stuff plays into it. So you have to execute a two-strike approach and pass the baton because you can have a 13-pitch at-bat and set up the guy behind you to get a mistake. It all has to come together and everybody has to be focused on what they want to do.

“What I’ve seen a lot is guys are altering their swings, altering their paths. A lot of guys, when it’s cold out, they don’t want to get jammed, they don’t want to hit it off the end of the bat. So now they’re altering their swings. You can’t do that.”

Full article: https://theathletic.com/3269157/2022/04/25/white-sox-seek-patience-to-reverse-offensive-slump-if-youre-not-taking-your-walks-youre-falling-into-their-plan/?source=emp_shared_article

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

I feel like Menechino and Katz are both smart, intelligent coaches.

So the flaws must come from somewhere else 🤔🤔🤔

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tony said:

Sounds like a pretty smart guy. I have to wonder what Lau and Hriniak would think of all this.

22 minutes ago, Quin said:

I've pretty much always believed it comes down to 95% player execution. Tim has made like 1000 errors to start the season. That's on Tim. He is a professional, he's been here before...make the play. Even if you were to hate your manager or something along those lines, you can still field your position. 

Coaches, both hitting and pitching, at least provide you with a gameplan and what they want you to execute on. It's on the player to actually execute. 

The issue I have with TLR, like many us of do, is the items he actually is responsible for, the items that do fall on him.....he seems to fail at. 

The whole "having his team ready to play" I think is mostly nonsense. There is probably some impact here and there but mostly I don't really buy into that line of thinking, again the players need to execute. 

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

I've pretty much always believed it comes down to 95% player execution. Tim has made like 1000 errors to start the season. That's on Tim. He is a professional, he's been here before...make the play. Even if you were to hate your manager or something along those lines, you can still field your position. 

Coaches, both hitting and pitching, at least provide you with a gameplan and what they want you to execute on. It's on the player to actually execute. 

The issue I have with TLR, like many us of do, is the items he actually is responsible for, the items that do fall on him.....he seems to fail at. 

The whole "having his team ready to play" I think is mostly nonsense. There is probably some impact here and there but mostly I don't really buy into that line of thinking, again the players need to execute. 

Agree. I think it comes down to  what impact does the manager (including coaches) have on a team's success, what impact does the FO have (i.e roster) and what impact do the players have.   I would say the players are at least 75% of the success/failure unless a FO has assembled a non-competitive team. 

30 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Agree. I think it comes down to  what impact does the manager (including coaches) have on a team's success, what impact does the FO have (i.e roster) and what impact do the players have.   I would say the players are at least 75% of the success/failure unless a FO has assembled a non-competitive team. 

75% might be fair. If you took the 2021 Giants roster and gave them the coaches/FO of the White Sox I bet you they finish at .500 last year or worse. I would say the same thing about the Rays. 

• Love 1
  • Fire 1

On 4/26/2022 at 11:36 AM, shago said:

Modern baseball is all about youth and fundamentals, this team is haunted by 1980s mentality and decrepit mgmt.

JR has been an absolute abortion of an owner who has consistently make awful mgmt decisions. Lucked into MJ with the Bulls, lucked into lightening in a bottle in 2005. None of that team's amazing vibe exists in the current team, they're not going anywhere. 

You hit the nail right on the head with JR, some give him a pass for 2005 and if the Sox hadn't won the World Series, JR would go down as the worst owner in the teams history. The man has alienated Sox fans on so many different occasions it's amazing that so many of us stuck have with the team.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

You hit the nail right on the head with JR, some give him a pass for 2005 and if the Sox hadn't won the World Series, JR would go down as the worst owner in the teams history. The man has alienated Sox fans on so many different occasions it's amazing that so many of us stuck with the team.

Depressingly, it's still a low hurdle.

- Charles Comiskey paid the players so poorly they got in with the mob.

- The other Comiskeys oversaw medocrity.

- The Allyns were ... eh? Didn't Arthur want to sell to Selig, who would move the the team to Milwaukee?

Veeck is basically the GOAT Sox owner, with a large gap between him and pick whoever you want for second place - which is either Jerry for winning in 2005 or Charles Comiskey for bringing the team here from St. Paul.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

75% might be fair. If you took the 2021 Giants roster and gave them the coaches/FO of the White Sox I bet you they finish at .500 last year or worse. I would say the same thing about the Rays. 

FO is a way different discussion. That has a huge impact, from the lower levels on up, in my opinion. 

I was only talking about a major league coaching staff, but I know the poster you were quoting mentioned FO. 

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

abdd4a6xpvv81.jpg

Yeah, this makes sense.  I actually think that this is one of those "normal-bad" 3-4 type stretches that a few bad decisions (fielding a AAA lineup to punt a doubleheader, pitching to Buxton, etc.) and bad ball-luck turned into a "really bad" 0-7 slide.  Unfortunate, but it will soon be forgotten and we'll be back on track.

4 hours ago, Quin said:

Katz said on the Score yesterday that he isn't involved with defensive positioning, which I found odd.

One would assume that the pitching coach would want to be able to communicate to the defense how [in general] a pitcher would approach an opponent, so that they can be best-placed to make plays. Either this is TLR's ego keeping Katz from being involved, or this is Katz being incompetent.

I can't decide which is worse.