Petition for New Banner

Chicago White Sox

As has become clear in recent days, the Soxtalk banner is cursed and is quickly taking out all our key players.  Changes are needed ASAP to save Jose & Tim from certain injury.  

However, as @CaliSoxFanViaSWside alluded to, perhaps we can use it’s immense power for good by replacing the current six players with various guys across the organization who have contributed to this rough stretch.  As such, I see six clear favorites to be sacrificed to the banner:

• Uncle Jerry - The primary culprit.  He forced a manager on his GM and may have created chaos within the organization.  Additionally, his insane aversion to risk may have prevented Hahn from procuring true impact talent this offseason.
  • Rick Hahn - While likely handcuffed by Jerry & Tony to some extent, Rick still failed in many areas this offseason.  Most notably, he failed to add a much needed SP and did nothing improve our weakness against tough RHP.  Much of this rests on him.
  • La Russa - An aging, old-school manager stuck in his ways.  It’s clear his best days are behind him and his  poor decision-making is quickly becoming more & more costly.  His recent lineup decisions have pointed at conflict between him and the front office.
  • Leury Legend - A very average, but versatile player, Legend is the victim of a manager all too fond of him.  Being overused and recently high in the lineup has sparked much outrage and has added credibility to conspiracy theories of organizational in-fighting..
  • Velesquez - He was the “pitching depth” that Hahn mentioned prioritizing coming out of the lockout.  His struggles are not surprising in the least given his track record and fact he was DFAed last season.  If he survives the All-Star break color me surprised.
  • Keuchel - Last is the “crafty” lefty.  Two years removed from a strong season, Dallas has watched his stuff regress and become cannon fodder.  With an $18M salary and habit of blaming teammates, Keuchel is one of the more unliable guys on the roster.

Who would you like to see sacrificed to the banner?  Am I missing anyone of note?  Post your ideas below and please voice your support for this petition!  Time is of the essence.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I said it half jokingly and never thought that the banner would actually be changed. However since we seem to be a superstitious lot I would suggest our strength and conditioning guy and throw KW in there for good measure. Also might want to put the coaching staff in it, Super Joe, Katz and Boston and whoever the hell is the bench coach.

Leury is going to play no matter what with all the injuries. After all that's why he's here but putting players in the banner is not my recommendation since at this point we need every player available and having the upper management and coaches in the banner will undoubtedly make the players better. ;)

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I said it half jokingly and never thought that the banner would actually be changed. However since we seem to be a superstitious lot I would suggest our strength and conditioning guy and throw KW in there for good measure. Also might want to put the coaching staff in it, Super Joe, Katz and Boston and whoever the hell is the bench coach.

Leury is going to play no matter what with all the injuries. After all that's why he's here but putting players in the banner is not my recommendation since at this point we need every player available and having the upper management and coaches in the banner will undoubtedly make the players better. ;)

Katz is doing a good job with he’s got and shouldn’t be subject to the banner.  I could see arguments for some of those other guys though.  The invisible bench coach makes some sense, although no one would know who he is if his face was part of the banner.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Katz is doing a good job with he’s got and shouldn’t be subject to the banner.  I could see arguments for some of those other guys though.  The invisible bench coach makes some sense, although no one would know who he is if his face was part of the banner.

I included Katz because no one from management should be excluded. Besides that since I have always been among the more vocal re: everything Rodon, Katz should have had some input last year about how they were abusing him. I realize that when you are pitching so well that the temptation is great to let him just keep pitching. However he and the rest of whoever else they use to keep players healthy was not applied to Rodon last year and I have my doubts when the same people are handling Kopech .

33 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Miguel Cairo is the bench coach.  He works along with Jerry Narron, who was bench coach for the Red Sox in 2020.

On 4/24/2022 at 9:28 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The list from Chicago White Sox was spot on. However I would include:

- Bench Coach - Miquel Cairo

- Director Of Strength and Conditioning - Goldy Simmons

- Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach - Ibrahim Rivera

Cairo was with TLR at St Louis and obviously is a "yes man" for him, or else he is just as clueless as TLR with game decisions and strategy. 

The two strength and conditioning coaches are new this year and were brought in to make a significant change from last year's debacle of injuries. Seems like nothing has changed.  

• Like 1