Yolbert Promoted to Charlotte

DirtySox

Well deserved promotion for Yolbert. Good for him. It's very encouraging to see the strides he's made the last 2 years with his bat.

I know projections aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I find it interesting that Steamer and THE BAT projections on Fangraphs both already think Yolbert is a better hitter (somewhat significantly so, too) than Leury

Great to see . After his AA and AZ league performances I got on the Yolbert train. I always have preferred a good glove and hoping the bat comes around rather than an all hit, no glove type. If you can develop the hit or on base tool you become much more valuable than a guy you can't count on to improve his fielding.

Why would his walk rate decline in AAA? AA is the league where the young stud pitchers are at. AAA is where all the washed up barely hanging on guys are at.

he’s put up great numbers everywhere and has a great glove. Sounds like he’s almost ready. 

this is why top 100 player ready stuff is a joke. He’s not top 100 but the guy has played like a stud.

I remembered when Marcus semien was at Birmingham. I don’t remember whether he was top 100 or not. I do remember him being a Southern league MVP which said a lot.

My point is that the guys that rate the prospects are usually off.

2 minutes ago, runtheballdown said:

Why would his walk rate decline in AAA? AA is the league where the young stud pitchers are at. AAA is where all the washed up barely hanging on guys are at.

he’s put up great numbers everywhere and has a great glove. Sounds like he’s almost ready. 

this is why top 100 player ready stuff is a joke. He’s not top 100 but the guy has played like a stud.

I remembered when Marcus semien was at Birmingham. I don’t remember whether he was top 100 or not. I do remember him being a Southern league MVP which said a lot.

My point is that the guys that rate the prospects are usually off.

The level of competition is still going to be higher in AAA and there's almost no one at any level of AAA or the majors who sustains a walk rate that high. Particularly when they don't hit for power. A 19.4% BB rate is also a huge outlier for Yolbert's career so far. I think Yolbert's bat should play well in AAA and potentially the majors, but I would be shocked if he keeps posting Mike Trout level walk rates going forward for a variety of reasons. Settling in close to 10% would be great for someone with his profile.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

The level of competition is still going to be higher in AAA and there's almost no one at any level of AAA or the majors who sustains a walk rate that high. Particularly when they don't hit for power. A 19.4% BB rate is also a huge outlier for Yolbert's career so far. I think Yolbert's bat should play well in AAA and potentially the majors, but I would be shocked if he keeps posting Mike Trout level walk rates going forward for a variety of reasons. Settling in close to 10% would be great for someone with his profile.

This is a great way of putting it. It's a 14 game sample with amazing results, but Yolbert had a single digit walk rate last season and for MLB comparisons, only 4 players had a walk rate above 15% last year - Soto, Gallo, Harper, and Ohtani (Moncada was the highest White Sock with 13.6). 

If Yolbert is walking 15%+ of the time with an OPS around .850 and good defense - suddenly we're looking at All-Star Yolbert, which would be an unexpected (but very welcome) leap.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

how much 2nd base is he playing? is he superior to TA7 at SS? just interested in helping him succeed wherever he can at the major league level. Also, sick of Tim with the yips

He played a bit more 2B than SS in 2021. (53 games to 40). But hasn't played SS at all this season. Jose Rodriguez and Sosa have been playing it instead in Birmingham. Yolbert has played a few games at 3B though.

Edited by DirtySox

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

He played a bit more 2B than SS in 2021. (53 games to 40). But hasn't played SS at all this season. Jose Rodriguez and Sosa have been playing it instead in Birmingham. Yolbert has played a few games at 3B though.

thanks. grooming him for 2nd meets the need, so good to hear. hope he can keep the great contact rates up in AAA with more off-speed variety headed his way. 

• 2 weeks later...

If Harrison and Garcia continue to underperform, I have no issue them testing this kid out this year. If it happens at all, I guess we’d be looking after the AS Break. 

Also, it’s nice knowing we also have 2b Lenyn Sosa raking in AA behind him (soon to be promoted to AAA I assume sometime). Also, Jose Rodriguez played very well through five levels of minor league ball. Obviously, he’s struggling at his newest stop in AA, but I’m hoping he will come around. And this doesn’t even mention Romy as a possibility. 

Lots of (cheaper) solutions for 2b in the minors that may help us in MLB very soon. I think they may even make up for the Madrigal trade… maybe.  

Edited by SouthSideGeorgia

3 hours ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

If Harrison and Garcia continue to underperform, I have no issue them testing this kid out this year. If it happens at all, I guess we’d be looking after the AS Break. 

Also, it’s nice knowing we also have 2b Lenyn Sosa raking in AA behind him (soon to be promoted to AAA I assume sometime). Also, Jose Rodriguez played very well through five levels of minor league ball. Obviously, he’s struggling at his newest stop in AA, but I’m hoping he will come around. And this doesn’t even mention Romy as a possibility. 

Lots of (cheaper) solutions for 2b in the minors that may help us in MLB very soon. I think they may even make up for the Madrigal trade… maybe.  

I suspect we'll see Yolbert sooner than the ASB assuming he continues to hit in AAA and we don't see substantial improvement from Harrison.  

• Like 1