Would you rather . . .

CentralChamps21

Would you rather . . .  

82 members have voted

1. 1. If these were your only two options for the outcome of the 2022 season, which would you prefer?

• Sox win AL Central but fail to reach ALCS, Tony LaRussa returns for 2023
    • Sox miss playoffs entirely, Tony LaRussa does not return for 2023

What exactly are the circumstances of Tony's exit?

I'd like to think I'd choose the playoff appearance but if you told me that Tony would get drilled in the dugout by an errant Leury Garcia throw leading to him hanging 'em up... I definitely could be swayed. 

I feel like people aren't understanding the question here. 

Yes, making the playoffs is always better than not making the playoffs. But the question specifically states the Sox lose in the first round (for the 3rd year in a row.) The question is worded specifically so there is no "Well if you make the playoffs, you never know what will happen!" We do know what will happen, and that's them going out in the first round again. 

And as @flavum said, at that point it's the same as not making the postseason at all, so if means TLR gets canned.....the option seems easy.

• Like 6

Playoffs are cool and as a fan the White Sox have been on the outside looking in for too damn much of my life.  I will take seeing this team in the playoffs 3 years in a row.  I will deal with them being bounced from the playoffs when that happens.

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

I feel like people aren't understanding the question here. 

Yes, making the playoffs is always better than not making the playoffs. But the question specifically states the Sox lose in the first round (for the 3rd year in a row.) The question is worded specifically so there is no "Well if you make the playoffs, you never know what will happen!" We do know what will happen, and that's them going out in the first round again. 

And as @flavum said, at that point it's the same as not making the postseason at all, so if means TLR gets canned.....the option seems easy.

I am not convinced that Tony leaving wouldn't trigger a bigger sell off if we failed to make the playoffs.  It would be easy cover.

This is such a tough question. I would really like to see the Sox make the playoffs for three straight seasons, but I would REALLY LIKE to see Tony gone for good.
I guess I'd have to go with the capital letters and sacrifice this season if it meant TLR goes bye-bye.

31 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Please vote. If you chose option 1, please explain why you chose the wrong option.

I honestly do not believe the Sox will win it all with TLR as the manager.  In the above binary choice, I would rather miss the playoffs entirely this season if it ensured that he would be gone.  There is still time inside the potential window, with the right moves, to make this core into a legit contender with a good manager leading the way. That is not TLR.

12 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I honestly do not believe the Sox will win it all with TLR as the manager.  In the above binary choice, I would rather miss the playoffs entirely this season if it ensured that he would be gone.  There is still time inside the potential window, with the right moves, to make this core into a legit contender with a good manager leading the way. That is not TLR.

But isn't this next FA class universally derided?  A playoff miss means a significant fall off in attendance.  Is it more likely they cut payroll or double down with their spending behind a new manager?  I think most Sox fans would go with the former rather than the latter.

My only concern...if they don't make the playoffs this season...that JR kills payroll and the window is officially closed. IF they get the excitement of a big second half run, revenue surely will be great and give more flexibility for 2023 and beyond.   That being said, i hate TLR. 

34 minutes ago, wegner said:

Playoffs are cool and as a fan the White Sox have been on the outside looking in for too damn much of my life.  I will take seeing this team in the playoffs 3 years in a row.  I will deal with them being bounced from the playoffs when that happens.

Ding ding ding. 

Playoff games are fun. We got knocked out last year but game 3 is still probably the 2nd best sporting event I've ever been too. More of those opportunities. The more chances to create some fun memories the better. My dad and uncles arent getting any younger. 

I'm not a fan of this poll. Anything can happen when you make the playoffs. Guaranteeing a first round exit seems silly. The goal is to make the playoffs and hope your team gets hot. I'm taking the playoffs option 8 days a week. 

Edited by ron883

6 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I'm not a fan of this poll. Anything can happen when you make the playoffs. Guaranteeing a first round exit seems silly. The goal is to make the playoffs and hope your team gets hot. I'm taking the playoffs option 8 days a week. 

It's just a hypothetical scenario so the question specifies an either/or where they get to playoffs and knocked out and LaRussa returns or we miss the playoffs but LaRussa is gone.

I voted to make the playoffs though.

7 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I think the realization on the poll is as currently managed...this team ISN'T winning a series. Sure seems fair seeing results. 

The two choices offered in this poll represent what I hate most about Soxtalk. I check in here because this site generally has Sox information first. But the negativity and incivility make what's supposed to be a fun part of life too often just caustic and mean-spirited. It's really a shame.

• Like 2