4/26 Games

DirtySox

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

You’ve seen Yolbert way more than just about anyone on here.  Does he have any power or is he the Cuban Madrigal?  Not complaining, just haven’t really followed him as much as most prospects we’ve had over the last decade.

I actually haven't really paid much attention to him until this season when I noticed the absurd walk rate. I haven't seen much pop at all though. He's not hitting gappers, but seems to spray plenty of line drive singles.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bmags said:

I'll always have a complicated view of the sanchez signing (however, if he is actually a starter then he was a slam dunk signing, there is no doubt).

But Sanchez definitely reminds you to give a lot of deference to the guys Paddy does sign. It was hard to look at a 21 year old coming out of cuba who had slash lines of .255/.299/.328 and believe his bat could ever hang in the big leagues. 

Yet here he is on the verge and largely based on the skill of his bat,  not his glove. And you could say the same of Yoelkis power. He muscled up, but did not hit homers in Cuba, a league we were told was so watered down it was worth taking stats with a grain of salt. Yet he hit more homers last year than his entire Cuban career.

The guy can look at these guys in workouts and project, man. 

Marco Paddy is well respected but the strategy is often poor as we've both noted numerous times. I think the White Sox will do an awesome job once there's an international draft. What do you think about that? 

• Like 1

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This would be an ideal outcome imo. 

Unless you’re certain he’ll have to move to 1B, I think we’d regret it.  He was quite good last year offensively for his age with a bum shoulder and is starting to really show his offensive ceiling now healthy.  I really think the bat can be special.  The bat speed and raw power are legit IMO.  All comes down can he stick at 3B and based on my brief time watching him and scouting reports it feels greater than 50% he can.  To me he’s a hold because I see his prospect status exponentially increasing with a promotion to AA and any sort of success.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Unless you’re certain he’ll have to move to 1B, I think we’d regret it.  He was quite good last year offensively for his age with a bum shoulder and is starting to really show his offensive ceiling now healthy.  I really think the bat can be special.  The bat speed and raw power are legit IMO.  All comes down can he stick at 3B and based on my brief time watching him and scouting reports it feels greater than 50% he can.  To me he’s a hold because I see his prospect status exponentially increasing with a promotion to AA and any sort of success.

I'm guessing Jimmy doesn't see him sticking at 3B. His bat looks absolutely special so far, though. We haven't had many guys destroy this much while being young for the league. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Marco Paddy is well respected but the strategy is often poor as we've both noted numerous times. I think the White Sox will do an awesome job once there's an international draft. What do you think about that? 

If this rumored set-up happens: https://www.mlb.com/news/international-draft-cba-negotiations?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage I think that would definitely fix it, to me. Biggest issue has been volume and they'd be in a 20 round draft.

OTOH, that's 2026 from the March proposal...so hard to get too excited when we are talking about something that likely doesn't kick in for the sox until the 30s in terms of impact.

Paddy may even retire before then.