AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

16 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Yeah, he does not project as a second baseman at all. Good post. He will be an unmitigated disaster at 2B. Now Moncada is different. He could play 2B. I wonder if he'd take one for the team. He's a fantastic third baseman but it'd be nice to have Burger's bat in the lineup instead of the lousy current options for 2B slot. Are there any second basemen out there the Sox could pick up off waivers soon? Anybody but Harrison at 2B is my motto right now, even Leury.

With how bad the Sox defense has been, I'm not sure making it worse is the right direction. I think Yolbert Sanchez might be an internal option this summer.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

At this point with what we've seen from the likes of Harrison, Leury, and Mendick at the plate, you could almost justify putting Burger at 2B a lot just to keep his bat in the lineup (once Moncada returns).  Harrison is probably the best defensive 2B on the team, but unless his hitting improves, you'd be hard pressed to keep his bat in the lineup over Burger's.

If one of Harrison, Mendick, or Leury was a consistently better hitter, Burger becomes a trade candidate.  And maybe he still will by the deadline.

5 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

At this point with what we've seen from the likes of Harrison, Leury, and Mendick at the plate, you could almost justify putting Burger at 2B a lot just to keep his bat in the lineup (once Moncada returns).  Harrison is probably the best defensive 2B on the team, but unless his hitting improves, you'd be hard pressed to keep his bat in the lineup over Burger's.

If one of Harrison, Mendick, or Leury was a consistently better hitter, Burger becomes a trade candidate.  And maybe he still will by the deadline.

Other than Max Muncy and Moustakas, there's not been a 2B that size in the majors playing on a regular basis in recent years.

Without looking, I would guess their DRS and fielding ratings aren't all that stellar, either.

28 minutes ago, bmags said:

Doesn’t Eloys injury kinda clear out DH for Burger? 

If you’re playing Vaughn in LF everyday and don’t use those at-bats for Grandal to rest or to balance the lineup out with Sheets.

Pollock hitting and Moncada returning can help to mitigate some of the issues against RHP.

Edited by caulfield12

13 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

What in god's name makes you think Burger can play a decent 2B? There's literally no examples of a guy his profile playing it in the last 30 years that I can remember. Nobody moves from a mediocre to bad 3B and suddenly becomes a solid 2B, not at the MLB level. It's not like he's 21 anymore either he's pretty developed physically.

Moustakas

10 hours ago, Leonard Zelig said:

LOL, he needs to take a number because there’s a wait list for the DH spot. 

Last week the Sox had 5 players who had at least 100wRC+ and a positive fWAR. With the recent hitting woes that number is down to 3, Timmy, Vaughn, and Burger.

Among those 3, Burger is the only one with a positive defensive WAR.  Of course these things fluctuate up and down, especially defensive WAR, with so few games under their belts atm.

3 hours ago, zisk said:

Or Abreu. Burger is a 2 way player more so than Jose at this point. Wouldn't mind Jake in LF with Vaughn and Jose alternating between 1B and DH.

Vaughn is going to be a better LF than Burger.  Cmon.  

AV has looked pretty bad out there in his small sample so far in 22.  But he was fine out there last year and will be again.  He isn't winning any GG, but he graded out above average in LF last year (remember, most LF aren't good) and he likely will again if given the chance.

I hate the idea of Burger at 2B, but you almost have to try it upon Yoan's return.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

AV has looked pretty bad out there in his small sample so far in 22.  But he was fine out there last year and will be again.  He isn't winning any GG, but he graded out above average in LF last year (remember, most LF aren't good) and he likely will again if given the chance.

I hate the idea of Burger at 2B, but you almost have to try it upon Yoan's return.  

According to FG of LF with similar or more defensive innings, Vaughn was in the upper 1/3 defensively.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If they put Burger at 2B, the Sox will score some serious runs. 

3 minutes ago, zisk said:

If they put Burger at 2B, the Sox will score some serious runs. 

How well did that 2000 offense work in the postseason?  I know, completely different teams, similar approaches to beating teams though…at any rate, so many small things in terms of fundamentals and execution killed and continue to hurt the Sox, stuff that doesn’t usually make it into the box score.

At any rate, let’s see how Burger and Sheets look for another week.

Still lean towards Burger back in Charlotte everyday, but that calculus is moving in the direction of needing to retain Burger to eventually replace Moncada (sooner rather than later if no postseason).  Things will very likely change again, and quickly.

If you want a #4.5 pitcher at the deadline, it's going to have to be Burger or Sheets going. If the guys who are supposed to hit are hitting then having no hit good defense at 2nd is fine.  If they are not hitting, then it doesn't  matter.  Lefty bat is the greater need so Burger would have to go.

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I kept my promise and didn't watch. Unfortunately it didn't work. 

Well you saved yourself some heartache. 

I only followed along on the gamethread myself while working.  It sounded like it was a tough one to stomach watching. 

Damnit I was so looking forward to this season....I hope they'll turn it around....although I'll still follow to the bitter end if they don't.

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Well you saved yourself some heartache. 

I only followed along on the gamethread myself while working.  It sounded like it was a tough one to stomach watching. 

Damnit I was so looking forward to this season....I hope they'll turn it around....although I'll still follow to the bitter end if they don't.

Yeah I'll follow along, but I'm not gonna waste my time on a team if they play like this. 

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Yeah I'll follow along, but I'm not gonna waste my time on a team if they play like this. 

Yeah I understand.  I know there are people here saying it's too early and they started slow last year but they just look awful right now and have been not that good since after Dyersville tbh.

5 hours ago, gogosox1959 said:

If you want a #4.5 pitcher at the deadline, it's going to have to be Burger or Sheets going. If the guys who are supposed to hit are hitting then having no hit good defense at 2nd is fine.  If they are not hitting, then it doesn't  matter.  Lefty bat is the greater need so Burger would have to go.

Sheets sucks. No one wants him. If they did he’s be gone already. 

19 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I wish I had the ability to unplug. Unfortunately it’s in my blood. And my other hobbies my wife hates and are expensive so yeah….