Abreu 2023

Jnooch

Do we sign Abreu with Vaughn, Eloy, Sheets and Burger all bat first guys? Not signing Abreu would free up 20 million in addition 

to 24 million coming off the books with Keickel, Harrison and Velazques contracts. Could use that money to sign Giolitto and sign a good everyday 2nd baseman.

22 minutes ago, Jnooch said:

Do we sign Abreu with Vaughn, Eloy, Sheets and Burger all bat first guys? Not signing Abreu would free up 20 million in addition 

to 24 million coming off the books with Keickel, Harrison and Velazques contracts. Could use that money to sign Giolitto and sign a good everyday 2nd baseman.

Couple things:

1. As southsideirish said, JR/KW/RH/TLR absolutely WILL sign him, whether its a good idea or not. This is an org that LOVES overpaying for stupid things, like RPs, shitty utility players, and yes, aging 1Bmen.

2. Because they stupidly gave Rodon away for free, there's now a 50/50 chance that Keuchel will be back in 2023. (Theres no surplus among SPs to allow them to move Keuchel out of the rotation.)

3. Don't know what Pollock's option will be, but there's also his, what, $10-14MM occupying space while he occupies the training table.

4. Whatever holes that will need patching THIS offseason, add them to the holes that weren't addressed LAST offseason, because the FO did exactly Jack and Shit about them.

Enjoy. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

2. Because they stupidly gave Rodon away for free, there's now a 50/50 chance that Keuchel will be back in 2023. (Theres no surplus among SPs to allow them to move Keuchel out of the rotation.)

Agree with the rest of your points but I doubt this. If that option doesn't vest (and it seems almost certain it won't at this point) I don't see any way Keuchel returns.

No one has said the real answer yet, so the real answer is that it will be up to Abreu. Prior to the season he didn’t want to commit to an extension, which means he is likely going to give some serious thought to his career and if he wants to keep being hit by pitches at the end of the year. 

If he wants to come back, the White Sox will sign him, and the money will depend on how effective he is the rest of the year.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Couple things:

1. As southsideirish said, JR/KW/RH/TLR absolutely WILL sign him, whether its a good idea or not. This is an org that LOVES overpaying for stupid things, like RPs, shitty utility players, and yes, aging 1Bmen.

3. Don't know what Pollock's option will be, but there's also his, what, $10-14MM occupying space while he occupies the training table.

4. Whatever holes that will need patching THIS offseason, add them to the holes that weren't addressed LAST offseason, because the FO did exactly Jack and Shit about them.

Enjoy. 

Dude, COME ON. 

You really believe the White Sox will allow Dallas Keuchel to make 20 million in 23 because they'll let him throw 160 IP this season? I will bet you anything you want that won't come close to happening. 

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Couple things:

Enjoy. 

I think you need a break from the Sox. This team gets you so worked up that you talk yourself into unrealistic scenarios such as this one. It's never going to happen. You need to just relax dude.

Ideally he retires or is fine taking a team friendly contract knowing it will be his last and he wont play evey day.

Knowing the Sox they want him to retire only having played for us (so do I). So they are hoping for retirement. But if he does not go with the 2 above scenarios they will still extend him although they should not.

I am all for being loyal to your players but you have to have a limit when it comes to said loyalty makes no sense for the team as built. If Frank played for a couple of other teams so can Jose. Changes nothing that once he retires he's a Sox.

1 hour ago, Spumoni said:

Agree with the rest of your points but I doubt this. If that option doesn't vest (and it seems almost certain it won't at this point) I don't see any way Keuchel returns.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Dude, COME ON. 

You really believe the White Sox will allow Dallas Keuchel to make 20 million in 23 because they'll let him throw 160 IP this season? I will bet you anything you want that won't come close to happening. 

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this site. And that's saying a lot.

Let me add my voices to yours, stating that I have no interest in Keuchel remaining here. But let's write out what the rest of the rotation looks like, and the gambles this team is taking:

1. Giolito & Cease are TJ recoveries, with Giolito already injured. These are easonable gambles that they should remain reasonably healthy, and effective, IMO.

2. 35 year old, overweight, and already injured Lance Lynn. Gambling on the health of a guy who doesn't like exercise or vegetables to remain healthy is shoddy logic, IMO. Adding into it his age is a further gamble, IMO. Father time likes eating fat guys at the end of their careers. 

3. Keuchel.

4. Michael Kopech, who comes pre-injured, and who has scant chance of producing enough IP to take the place of others in this rotation.

5. DFA candidate VV.

6 Others: 36 year old Cueto got curb-stomped in Charlotte the other day. Lopez has been up-and-down out of the pen. Lambert has been curb-stomped both here and in Charlotte so far this season.

In sum, they're gambling on health and effectiveness of a group that hasn't demonstrated enough of both to be sure.

All this taken together, whos gonna take the ball every 5 days? Once VV is DFA'ed, i guess you go with Cueto? Once Lynn sprains his stomach shoveling ribs down his hole, I guess you go with Lopez? And when Kopech needs time off, who?

And if/when Cueto, Lopez, and Lambert fail or get injured, who?

There's neither the depth in the org, nor quality/health among the 5 man rotation to ABSOKUTELY GUARANTEE that Keuchel won't make it to 160 IP, IMO. Simply because there ain't enough MLB-caliber arms on offer.

And thats why its a 50/50 proposition that Keuchel makes 160 IP, IMO. Far too high for my liking, but this is what happens when your FO does stupid things.

44 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I think you need a break from the Sox. This team gets you so worked up that you talk yourself into unrealistic scenarios such as this one. It's never going to happen. You need to just relax dude.

You're right. I should be a fan of the scrubs like you.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

1 hour ago, T R U said:

Bro, Keuchel may not even make it through this season. There’s no way they let him vest that option. 

I hope so as well.

But here are a few questions to consider:

Who will take the ball when VV is DFA'ed?

Who will take the ball when Kopech needs a break?

Who will take the ball to replace Keuchel himself, and

Who will take the ball once Lynn eats his way out of MLB?

Just now, Two-Gun Pete said:

Let me add my voices to yours, stating that I have no interest in Keuchel remaining here. But let's write out what the rest of the rotation looks like, and the gambles this team is taking:

1. Giolito & Cease are TJ recoveries, with Giolito already injured. These are easonable gambles that they should remain reasonably healthy, and effective, IMO.

2. 35 year old, overweight, and already injured Lance Lynn. Gambling on the health of a guy who doesn't like exercise or vegetables to remain healthy is shoddy logic, IMO. Adding into it his age is a further gambles IMO.

3. Keuchel.

4. Michael Kopech, who comes pre-injured, and who has scant chance of producing enough IP to take the place of others in this rotation.

5. DFA candidate VV.

6 Others: 36 year old Cueto got curb-stomped in Charlotte the other day. Lopez has been up-and-down out of the pen. Lambert has been curb-stomped both here and in Charlotte so far this season.

In sum, they're gambling on health and effectiveness of a group that hasn't demonstrated enough of both to be sure.

All this taken together, whos gonna take the ball every 5 days? Once VV is DFA'ed, i guess you go with Cueto? Once Lynn sprains his stomach shoveling ribs down his hole, I guess you go with Lopez? And when Kopech needs time off, who?

And if/when Cueto, Lopez, and Lambert fail or get injured, who?

There's neither the depth in the org, nor quality/health among the 5 man rotation to ABSOKUTELY GUARANTEE that Keuchel won't make it to 160 IP, IMO. Simply because there ain't enough MLB-caliber arms on offer.

And thats why its a 50/50 proposition that Keuchel makes 160 IP. Far too high for my liking, but this is what happens when your FO does stupid things.

You're right. I should be a fan of the scrubs like you.

You act like because the Sox lack starting depth, Keuchel is going pitch every 3 days.

You're not a very smart guy (as your post history has indicated to us all) but let's do some REAL simple math. 

If Keuchle makes 30 starts in 2022, and averages 5 innings....that gives us...drumroll please.....150 innings pitched! Now, as we know, he needs to hit 160 to have his option vest. 

So far this season, Keuchel has made 3 starts, and has gone 4 IP, 1 IP, and 5 IP. He's also sporting a 9 ERA at the moment. 

Now, if Keuchel is as bad as you think he's going to be (and why should we assume you think anything more than him being the anti-christ based on your disdain for almost everything related to the White Sox) how the fuck do you envision him getting to 160 IP, even with the lack of starting depth. Again....he's not taking the ball every 3rd day. We're also assuming he's going to stay healthy the entire season which....doesn't seem like great odds given the rest of the Sox injury history. 

Lastly, without looking it up, 20 million for a pitcher may be the highest salary in White Sox history for a pitcher. You really believe if the Sox have a choice in the matter (which they 1000% do,) they're going to pay that to Keuchel in 2023? You're out of your fucking mind.

• Like 1
  • Fire 4

Abreu is going to do what Abreu wants to do.  He seems to have the private cell to JR, unlike most of the franchise.  It does still ring in my ears that for the first time he is talking about NOT coming back, which coincidentally happens right at the same time this team falls apart with a sure playoff roster.  It's probably just dumb luck, but I can't stop thinking about it.

10 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I hope so as well.

But here are a few questions to consider:

Who will take the ball when VV is DFA'ed?

Who will take the ball when Kopech needs a break?

Who will take the ball to replace Keuchel himself, and

Who will take the ball once Lynn eats his way out of MLB?

Your constant fat-shaming of Lance Lynn would be funnier if he wasn't a multiple-time all-star who's made over 65 million dollars in his career.....while your fat ass sits in front of a computer and posts on a White Sox message board. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 7