Vaughn/Burger could see 2B

southsider2k5

34 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Its almost as if I'm speaking for the team at the point 🤣

Burger playing 2B is a must if they aren't going to consider moving Moncada 

This reminds me of bringing in Mackowiak to play CF in 2006 for Brian Anderson when they could no longer tolerate his 575-600 OPS...that didn't work out very well.

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

This reminds me of bringing in Mackowiak to play CF in 2006 for Brian Anderson when they could no longer tolerate his 575-600 OPS...that didn't work out very well.

Except Burger can play 2B to a degree.  Worked a good bit on it in the offseason as well.  Only way to find out if he can be serviceable is to put him out there a couple games and see 

1 hour ago, Polar Bear said:

Its almost as if I'm speaking for the team at the point 🤣

Burger playing 2B is a must if they aren't going to consider moving Moncada 

If he rips an ACL cutting to his left or right for a grounder or pop up or wrenches a knee getting tangled up at second, the Sox might as well throw up their arms and give up til starting over in 2023.

LF: Vaughn has been terrible in LF, even   since Eloy was injured last week. . I counted 3  fly balls that Vaughn could not get to in just a few games and a terrible off target throw to the plate from shallow left field yesterday.  Stone did not say a word about any of those plays but come on, trust your own eyes. Trust facts, Vaughn is the slowest position player on the team.  I could best him in  a 40 yard dash. That is not someone you want in LF or at 2B. The guy is a tank....but he can hit.   So, Vaughn has to be in the line-up every day.. He should start either  at his natural position 1B or  platoon with Abreu at DH.  That would be an ideal platoon with Abreu,  keeping him off his feet a bit and possibly extending his career.

Playing Vaughn in the outfield only risks a season ending injury when he makes a lawn dart out of himself again or buldozes Robert or injures him like he did with Harrison.

So who plays LF now that Eloy is out? I don't know, but please no Vaughn out there...for his own sake.

RF I reserve judgment on Pollock, but so far, he hasn't showed us much for the 16 Million.  Too bad Colas is not quite ready. 

3B Burger has been decent defensively and his bat has added power to the line-up.  Once Moncada comes back, though, there is no where to play Burger.  Perhaps the suggested switch of Moncada back to second, although I doubt Yoan would agree to that.

2B I don't like any of the alternatives there. 

Closer and Set-up pitchers - Liam Hendriks and Bummer do not look like the answers at the end of the bullpen right now. If that doesn't get resolved soon, the season could start to get away from the Sox.

Middle relief: Shaky as well.

Catcher: Defense has bee shaky.

We just lost 8 out of 9 to Cleveland, Minnesota and KC, but I am not going to blame LaRussa for it. Our defense has been terrible during that stretch and pitching has failed us in key spots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tray said:

LF: Vaughn has been terrible in LF, even   since Eloy was injured last week. . I counted 3  fly balls that Vaughn could not get to in just a few games and a terrible off target throw to the plate from shallow left field yesterday.  Stone did not say a word about any of those plays but come on, trust your own eyes. Trust facts, Vaughn is the slowest position player on the team.  I could best him in  a 40 yard dash. That is not someone you want in LF or at 2B. The guy is a tank....but he can hit.   So, Vaughn has to be in the line-up every day.. He should start either  at his natural position 1B or  platoon with Abreu at DH.  That would be an ideal platoon with Abreu,  keeping him off his feet a bit and possibly extending his career.

Playing Vaughn in the outfield only risks a season ending injury when he makes a lawn dart out of himself again or buldozes Robert or injures him like he did with Harrison.

So who plays LF now that Eloy is out? I don't know, but please no Vaughn out there...for his own sake.

RF I reserve judgment on Pollock, but so far, he hasn't showed us much for the 16 Million.  Too bad Colas is not quite ready. 

3B Burger has been decent defensively and his bat has added power to the line-up.  Once Moncada comes back, though, there is no where to play Burger.  Perhaps the suggested switch of Moncada back to second, although I doubt Yoan would agree to that.

2B I don't like any of the alternatives there. 

Closer and Set-up pitchers - Liam Hendriks and Bummer do not look like the answers at the end of the bullpen right now. If that doesn't get resolved soon, the season could start to get away from the Sox.

Middle relief: Shaky as well.

Catcher: Defense has bee shaky.

We just lost 8 out of 9 to Cleveland, Minnesota and KC, but I am not going to blame LaRussa for it. Our defense has been terrible during that stretch and pitching has failed us in key spots.

Pollock is owed $10 million this season.

Engel would have to play RF with your alignment or Leury Garcia.

Grandal would also wear down at catcher if not allowed to DH.

There are no easy answers.

The lineup would be especially vulnerable against RHP if Sheets is sent down, which would have to happen with this plan.

You can't say you value defense and put Sheets in RF.

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

vs RHP, it's gonna have to be Vaughn in LF and Sheets at DH because you can't afford to leave either of them out of the lineup.

vs LHP Vaughn needs to be at DH with Pollock in LF and Engel in RF.

When Moncada is back Burger is sent to AAA so he can play every day.

I don't see this happening if Jake is still hitting the ball.  Besides AV, Jake is making the best contact on the team.  I'd rather DH him and sprinkle him in at 2B and 3B (assume Yoan will get plenty of rest in the early going).  Sheets is the guy I'd sent to AAA right now.  Of course, if Jake has a terrible next 3-6 games before Yoan returns, that changes things.  Things can change in a hurry at this point in the season. 

Edited by ChiSox59