Retooling / quasi-rebuild

ron883

Would you support a retooling effort?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support a retooling effort?

• Yes
    • No

5 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Not with this front office in place. Injuries be damned, they massively failed if we end up sellers this year and should not be given another opportunity.

They shouldn't have been given the opportunity to do this rebuild in the first place. That's part of why I have so little sympathy for Hahn when people bring up the areas in which La Russa and Jerry let him down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Giolito is long gone at the deadline IMO if this shit continues 

This front office is too short term orientated to ever make a trade like that, imo. Even if this season ends up being a lost cause, next year will have a lot of the core guys in the final year of their contract. I can't envision Hahn/KW/Jerry signing off on making the 2023 roster worse under basically any circumstance.

14 hours ago, ron883 said:

If things continue to go south, and the Sox don't appear to be a playoff team this year, do you support a quasi-rebuild or "retooling"? Trading away guys with less control left in order to have a better team 2 years from now? Giolito and Lance Lynn are the first guys that come to mind. TA if you're getting crazy. Then some relievers. 

This would get money of the payroll (Jerry's biggest concern) and hopefully result in some big time prospects. 

No need to broach this subject now so I didn't vote.However like many have said and I have been saying forever, with this owner and front office don't ever expect too much. Enjoy individual performances and making the playoffs. I'll always have 2005.

The team is going to be fine. Once Lynn is back, I see the starting pitching being better than last year with Cease and Kopech taking steps forward. . The bullpen will be better than last year with Graveman and Kelly and a couple lightening in a bottle guys.  No idea how the offense will end up, but if Jose heats up with the weather like usual we will be fine.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

In the general sense of the OP, no, I don’t support a retool with this FO in charge.  I would only be in favor or a retool/mini rebuild if only if JR handed over the reins as he has done with the Bulls, and a new team president cleaned house with new outside hire as GM.  Hahn & Co have utterly failed to complete the rebuild and they do not deserve another try.  

This makes sense to me . i think that Rick Hahn, and especially Ken Williams need to go . I sometimes wonder if Williams is still making most of the big decisions . personally, i'm still really hoping for a turn-around for this team, as not everyone has 2 years to wait for the team to get good.

4 minutes ago, joemg311 said:

The team is going to be fine. Once Lynn is back, I see the starting pitching being better than last year with Cease and Kopech taking steps forward. . The bullpen will be better than last year with Graveman and Kelly and a couple lightening in a bottle guys.  No idea how the offense will end up, but if Jose heats up with the weather like usual we will be fine.

I tend to agree but they can’t let things get too far our of reach. The division sucking is frankly the saving grace. 3.5 games isn’t much, but hard to see this teaming digging out of under .500 in the next few weeks. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fathom said:

Berrios is perfect comp

What did the Twins get for Berrios? I forgot. Let me look it up.

https://www.mlb.com/news/jose-berrios-trade#:~:text=TORONTO -- The Blue Jays,4 prospect Simeon Woods Richardson. 

That's not a bad return, but they were able to re-sign Berrios. Idk if the Sox would get that type of return without an extension agreement. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

22 minutes ago, chw42 said:

We might be starring 7-14 in the face by Monday. I think you really need to think about a re-tool if they don't show some signs of life soon. 

Given the limited control that the players have, I think this is more of a complete rebuild than a retool. 

Obviously Vaughn and Robert will be here for a while, but beyond them, Everyone only has 3 or fewer years left. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Given the limited control that the players have, I think this is more of a complete rebuild than a retool. 

Obviously Vaughn and Robert will be here for a while, but beyond them, Everyone only has 3 or fewer years left. 

Cease and Moncada through 2026, although that last option year for Yoan is at $25 million.  Kopech through 2025.  It's why a full rebuild is the kiss of death, unless they somehow could finish bottom 6 and luck out into another Top 3 pick and not screw it up.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Cease and Moncada through 2026, although that last option year for Yoan is at $25 million.  Kopech through 2025.  It's why a full rebuild is the kiss of death, unless they somehow could finish bottom 6 and luck out into another Top 3 pick and not screw it up.

Cease and Moncada are also through 2025. 

14 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Cease and Moncada are also through 2025. 

Oops.  So Kopech and Cease both with the same control.  Looked at spotrac and read UFA year in a different color as a year of control for some reason.

It really doesn't matter because guys like Giolito and the veterans in their 30s would be the only ones moved. 

They won't trade Anderson obviously...he's now the ONE team leader with Jose and Giolito on the way out.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Oops.  So Kopech and Cease both with the same control.  Looked at spotrac and read UFA year in a different color as a year of control for some reason.

It really doesn't matter because guys like Giolito and the veterans in their 30s would be the only ones moved. 

They won't trade Anderson obviously...he's now the ONE team leader with Jose and Giolito on the way out.

I think Vaughn, Eloy and Robert are the only guys they have control of past 2025. 

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

And the odds of paying Eloy big salaries for those two more expensive option years at the end of his deal are pretty slim at the moment.

There is a lot of time left to make those calculations.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Isn’t sacrificing future assets the opposite of retooling/rebuilding?

Has to be deals for Giolito/Lynn and ANY veterans over 30, along with Bummer on the block.

TA7, Moncada, Cease, Kopech are the next tier of decisions, obviously would have to be bowled over completely and very few teams would be willing to pay the asking price for Yoan anyway...

At any rate, no matter what happens from here on out, Luis Robert and Vaughn are going to be the two remaining franchise cornsterstones.

Edited by caulfield12