Time to Sacrifice Dallas

This team is a mess and needs a fucking wake-up call.  Given the GM & manager are likely off-limits, I think it’s time for Dallas to be DFAed.  He’s an automatic loss at this point and would make a perfect sacrifice given his veteran status.  Also, with an off-day this coming Thursday, we can skip his next start and buy us a bit more time for Cueto to be ready.

What do you guys think?  Is now the time to cut bait on Keuchel?  If not now, how much rope do you give him?  Either way, something big has to happen to snap this team out of its funk.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

Just now, ShoeLessRob said:

As terrible as he is, he is nowhere near the the top 10 reasons this team is playing so poorly. Sad. 

Agree, if they want to use him as a fall guy that's fine.  However, while sending Keuchel to the mound may be considered an automatic loss another way to an automatic loss is to score zero.

• Like 1

If we had scored some runs today I'd be more upset at pitching. A decent right fielder might have gotten to that ball that Sheets watched fall. 

I'm going to put Dallas in third place for reasons we lost. I'm putting Tony in first for another awful lineup. The offense second. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

JR won’t eat the money 

^THIS^

They will keep putting him out there hoping he will figure it out.  If it keeps up he will have an "injury".  But there is zero chance he eats the rest of his money before June.  

Don't cut him to send a message; cut him because he's a terrible pitcher right now.  But they probably should keep him until they have a replacement.
And that they don't,  falls square on those who, by all rights, should be the first to be axed:  the front office.

Precedence was set, with the cutting of Danks and his 15.75 mil salary just 6 years ago. BUT, that team didn't have nearly the financial inflexibility that the 2022 roster has tied up.

Good thing we also gave a multi year deal to a utility man, whom we already had a replacement for in the minors.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Precedence was set, with the cutting of Danks and his 15.75 mil salary just 6 years ago. BUT, that team didn't have nearly the financial inflexibility that the 2022 roster has tied up.

Good thing we also gave a multi year deal to a utility man, whom we already had a replacement for in the minors.

We signed TWO utility guys when we really needed an everyday 2B like an Escobar or even Wendle.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

We signed TWO utility guys when we really needed an everyday 2B like an Escobar or even Wendle.

I still think Harrison can be serviceable, and worth the money paid to him. But you have to think, the writing is on the wall for Keuchel. You have Cueto and Velasquez who can do roughly the same every 5th day, at a fraction of the cost that Keuchel has attached to him. AND, I think it is safe to say BOTH have more upside than DK at this point.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

JR won’t eat the money 

JR is paying the money out whether they keep him or not. They don't need to double down on the Keuchel problem by letting him lose every 5th game (not that it's all on him, but he does really suck).

As for DFA-ing him. I'd say when they're ready to call up Cueto, pull the trigger.  If that means waiting another week, then ok.

• Like 1

The scary thing is…who takes his spot? That’s how bad the depth is on this team. Not sure they have a better option at this point. Really unreal this team had World Series hopes. 

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

The scary thing is…who takes his spot? That’s how bad the depth is on this team. Not sure they have a better option at this point. Really unreal this team had World Series hopes. 

The other scary thing is that Wes Benjamin is likely to be every bit as good (bad) as a guy they're paying $18 mil.  Damn, would Rodon look good right about now.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

The other scary thing is that Wes Benjamin is likely to be every bit as good (bad) as a guy they're paying $18 mil.  Damn, would Rodon look good right about now.

Or Michael Wacha.  Heck, Chris Archer has more than held his own so far.

But the odds of seeing Wes Benjamin this year are pretty much slim and none...unless they're 12+ games under .500.

Was never a fan of the signing since day one. That said, it's just another sunk cost. No sense cutting him now, the Sox still need innings eaten.

The Sox need their core four back (Lucas, Cease, Kopech and Lynn) and two workable options (Lopez, Cueto, Velasquez) to cover #5 and an injury before one could even consider cutting Keuchel. He can still give you 100 innings, and with the injuries and caution with Kopech, it's prudent to keep him at least until Labor Day. Doesn't have to start every fifth game, can be a long man out of the bullpen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This team is a mess and needs a fucking wake-up call.  Given the GM & manager are likely off-limits, I think it’s time for Dallas to be DFAed.  He’s an automatic loss at this point and would make a perfect sacrifice given his veteran status.  Also, with an off-day this coming Thursday, we can skip his next start and buy us a bit more time for Cueto to be ready.

What do you guys think?  Is now the time to cut bait on Keuchel?  If not now, how much rope do you give him?  Either way, something big has to happen to snap this team out of its funk.

Couldn't afford to lose the depth.

50 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Couldn't afford to lose the depth.

I totally can respect that point of view, but I’m not sure a random AAA arm would be any worse at this point than Dallas.

I’d still like to find a way to shake things up though even if it’s not sacrificing Dallas.  The positional guys aren’t delivering, but just not sure what you can do there.  I hate blaming the hitting coach, but perhaps that’s what it needs to come to at some point.  In reality, a new manager with a little life to him would probably reinvigorate the team, but Jerry will never let it happen.

49 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I totally can respect that point of view, but I’m not sure a random AAA arm would be any worse at this point than Dallas.

I’d still like to find a way to shake things up though even if it’s not sacrificing Dallas.  The positional guys aren’t delivering, but just not sure what you can do there.  I hate blaming the hitting coach, but perhaps that’s what it needs to come to at some point.  In reality, a new manager with a little life to him would probably reinvigorate the team, but Jerry will never let it happen.

For sure. Jerry spent 35 years telling us how much he regrets allowing TLR to get fired by Hawk. It wont happen again, no matter how deserving. I think our only chance there is, if TLR himself decides he is done with this crap and retires.

• Like 1