Time to Sacrifice Dallas

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I actually had some hope for Dallas this season, but he's like Shields now. You start him, you put your team in a position to lose. I imagine they will give him a couple more chances, but it has to be near the end of the rope.

giphy.webp

Doing the math on a Keuchel trade, brb.

On 5/1/2022 at 9:07 PM, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

Until Lynn and Cueto pitch and show they're healthy and effective I would not DFA him. I would send him to the pen based on performance and send a message to the team that if you don't perform you lose your job. Hell, use an "opener" in his spot until the other guys are ready. Every game he pitches is a bullpen day anyway, so just make it official. 

Common sense prevails. A healthy but bad Keuchel is better than just about all alternatives now.You dump Keuchel now and one of Gio, Cease or Kopech go down what then ?

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I actually had some hope for Dallas this season, but he's like Shields now. You start him, you put your team in a position to lose. I imagine they will give him a couple more chances, but it has to be near the end of the rope.

Yeah I think your right on that maybe they are going to take a couple of weeks and formulate there plan with cueto, lambert or a trade . But I think he is gone in a month. Unfortunate actually. 

6 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think right now they need dallas to take the loss every 5th day because of all the injuries, the alternative would be burning the pen as the sox don't have any SP depth. 

But when lynn comes back they might want to cut him. 

Burn the pen. Lopez 2 innings, Banks 2 innings, Ruiz 2 innings. Better than starting Dallas at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Burn the pen. Lopez 2 innings, Banks 2 innings, Ruiz 2 innings. Better than starting Dallas at this point.

Until Kopech is able to consistently go deeper into games, you’re likely gonna need some of those other dudes for his starts as well.

7 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If you were going to fill the spot that way for a longer period of time, yes, but if you're only filling in 3-4 starts, no.

If somehow everyone is healthy (unlikely) them give Kopech an extra two weeks of rest in June.

YES, it is time! DFA him now! He is over the hill! In today's game of mid to upper 90 mph pitchers, Keuchel is obsolete with his mid to upper 80's pitches that have little or no movement. 

Whether JR releases him now or keeps him, the fact is JR is paying him 18 million. However, he might as well send a positive message to the team, that his horrible pitching will not be tolerated any longer. As it has been stated numerous times in this post, we have better options every 5th game. 

The facts are in Kuechel's four starts, he has 15 innings, 24 hits, 14 ER, 11 BB, 2.33 WHIP and 8.40 ERA. Sending him out any further to gain/eat innings, to even remotely let him try to get to 160 innings this season and earn that 20 million (player opt/guaranteed) salary for 2023, is the pure definition of Insanity! 

As it has been said here several times, the precedent is set. In 2016 the 15.75 million that JR absorbed for John Danks, is just as bad, if not slightly higher than the 18 million in 2022 inflation standards.

I don't think Cueto is any better than Keuchel but I'd rather them launch Keuchel and go with Cueto just so they don't have to worry about any commitments for next year. 

It's worth the $4.2M or whatever Cueto will make to not have Keuchel on the books next year. Consider it part of his buyout. 

On 5/3/2022 at 3:14 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Common sense prevails. A healthy but bad Keuchel is better than just about all alternatives now. You dump Keuchel now and one of Gio, Cease or Kopech go down what then ?

Hopefully someone with less than an ERA of 8.40 steps in ffs.

Can’t  tell if serious.  At this point the Sox  get more for the money by paying Gas Can Kuechel to  not pitch.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

16 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Hopefully someone with less than an ERA of 8.40 steps in ffs.

Can’t  tell if serious.  At this point the Sox  get more for the money by paying Gas Can Kuechel to  not pitch.

Unfortunately, he is serious.  Cueto is legitimately the only option in the organization that could be better than Keuchel.  He hasn't exactly been good in AAA.  Cueto has a May 15 opt out date, so the decision is coming soon.  But I am not convinced Cueto will be a better option at this point.  Keuchel has been awful, but defense has certainly been awful as well during his starts.  While I wouldn't be mad at all if Sox cut him loose (he's also kind of dbag), I do think keeping him in the org until Lance is back is the right decision.  

You also have to consider that Kopech is going to need rest at some point.  With how terribly thin the Sox SP situation is, keeping Keuchel around to eat some starts whenever that rest period comes is probably necessary.  Sure Sox could go out an acquire a better SP during the summer, but I think Keuchel is here to stay until at least August.  Math and common sense says there no realistic chance he's getting to 160+ innings though, as noted below. 

41 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think Cueto is any better than Keuchel but I'd rather them launch Keuchel and go with Cueto just so they don't have to worry about any commitments for next year. 

It's worth the $4.2M or whatever Cueto will make to not have Keuchel on the books next year. Consider it part of his buyout. 

There is a 0% chance Keuchel will get the 161 inning he needs.  ZERO. Its a non factor at this point.  He would have to take every turn through the rotation the rest of the way while averaging 5 innings a start to get there.  Simply isn't happening.  

Edited by ChiSox59