Time to Sacrifice Dallas

45 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Well part of the reason they have been called upon so much (and performed) is because of how bad Dallas has been. 

If Lopez can go 5 innings and give up 3 runs instead of Dallas going 2 and giving up 5 that's going to save the bullpen and win a few more games at the same time.

There's no reason not to try out Reynaldo as a starter right now. He's shown real growth both physically and mentally. Who knows, maybe the dude is like a 2 WAR starter now. It's worth trying because Dallas is putting up historically awful numbers.

Except Lopez isn't conditioned for 5 innings now.  More like 2 or 3 tops.

36 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Except Lopez isn't conditioned for 5 innings now.  More like 2 or 3 tops.

Therein lies the argument...the impact of covering 3 2/3 to 4 1/3 innings of Keuchel vs. whatever they can get out of Lopez.

With Foster, Ruiz and Kelly, that should cover 6/7 before turning it over to Graveman.

So then the impact of Keuchel eating innings in blowouts either way to preserve the bullpen as well.

7 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

There is a 0% chance Keuchel will get the 161 inning he needs.  ZERO. Its a non factor at this point.  He would have to take every turn through the rotation the rest of the way while averaging 5 innings a start to get there.  Simply isn't happening.  

I know people keep saying this, but the Sox FO is incredibly stupid, and what if he goes on a run of BABIP luck where he pitches well for a few starts before getting lit up? 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I know people keep saying this, but the Sox FO is incredibly stupid, and what if he goes on a run of BABIP luck where he pitches well for a few starts before getting lit up? 

Jack, you might have to give up on this battle.

There's always Moncada at 2B or 2022 Moncada vs. Manny Machado.

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

There’s a better chance of you growing another testicle than the Sox letting that option vest. 

Now if one was to grow a third testicle, would he also get half a dick with it?  And if so, would that half dick be added to your full dick or would it be on its own over there half-dickin on the side?

41 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Keuchel is currently at 15 innings through 4 starts. At that current rate, that averages to 113 IP through 30 starts (the same amount of starts he made last season). Even if you account for a few good, 'dominant' starts, you also have to take into consideration all the bad ones that will be mixed in between. In last season's 30 start sample, he only made it through 7 innings 4 times, and 6 innings 8 times. With the way he has looked so far this season, he is visibly worse than last season, and is more likely to be headed towards DFA territory. Even with what's left on his contract, don't forget that in 2014 the Sox cut John Danks loose and ate his $14M salary. It wouldn't be unprecedented.

• Thanks 2

Best case scenario:

Get Lynn back healthy, trade for someone like Montas, and go to war with:

Giolito

Lynn

Cease

Montas

Kopech

Worst case scenario:

Lynn is hurt off and on all year and we can’t find much to trade for. Have to run this current shit with Cueto in the mix for the entire year.

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm surprised you're siding on the front office to screw over a player.

Isn't a good look from potential free agents and the union when the front office not even the Manger purposefully orchestrates playing time to avoid paying someone.

Doesn't this go against your philosophy of always being against business owners in favor of the employees?

I'm not saying your wrong just surprised you want to take money away from the employee on purpose.

Edited by ptatc

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

I'm surprised you're siding on the front office to screw over a player.

Isn't a good look from potential free agents and the union when the front office not even the Manger purposefully orchestrates playing time to avoid paying someone.

Doesn't this go against your philosophy of always being against business owners in favor of the employees?

I'm not saying your wrong just surprised you want to take money away from the employee on purpose.

I think you caught him in a conundrum where Sox victories/success >>> supersedes the individual financial situation of one highly-compensated vastly underperforming  player.  

Especially as it would be a huge blow to 2023 financial flexibility as well.  

11 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

People are arguing that no one else who is currently available to the White Sox might be better. 

Cueto has been getting curbstomped in AAA.

Lambert is hurt.

Stiever is hurt.

The two other possible starters are both becoming mainstays in the White Sox bullpen in Reynaldo Lopez and Tanner Banks.

There aren’t baseball reasons Kuechel is still out there. Only financial reasons. We know in our hearts that if Kuechel was making 1.8 million instead of 18 million, he’d have been gone long ago.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Jack. He has to make 29 more starts averaging over 5 IP. It isn’t happening. It’s math. 

7 hours ago, hi8is said:

Best case scenario:

Get Lynn back healthy, trade for someone like Montas, and go to war with:

Giolito

Lynn

Cease

Montas

Kopech

Worst case scenario:

Lynn is hurt off and on all year and we can’t find much to trade for. Have to run this current shit with Cueto in the mix for the entire year.

No No No . Best case scenario is V V becomes a good pitcher.Keuchel finds his mojo in the bullpen and a spot start every now and then, but not enough mojo to get the innings he needs for next year so we can then trade him.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No No No . Best case scenario is V V becomes a good pitcher.Keuchel finds his mojo but not enough mojo to get the innings he needs for next year so we can then trade him.

That Montas scenario is going to be costly.

Ramos, Montgomery and Burger…at least two from that grouping.  Maybe three prospects in total, adding one mystery pitcher like a Bassitt who becomes a stud for Las Vegas in 3-4 seasons from now.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Ramos, Montgomery and Burger…at least two from that grouping.  Maybe three prospects in total, adding one mystery pitcher like a Bassitt who becomes a stud for Las Vegas in 3-4 seasons from now.

Still think twins end up with Montas. Especially as their SP continues to falter and they find themselves in contention. 

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Which is why it's not the best case scenario ;)

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Still think twins end up with Montas. Especially as their SP continues to falter and they find themselves in contention. 

Winder won his first start.  Ober won’t be out for long.   Bundy’s is Covid-related.   

Archer, fwiw, has pitched quite effectively but not deep into games.  Paddack better than expected.  And Sonny Gray can be a solid #3/4 guy at this stage of his career.

Time will tell.  They have an incredibly easy stretch through early June with only two games against Toronto…the rest are sub .500 clubs, mostly the A’s, Tigers and Royals on the slate.

I predicted 14 over earlier, but I’ll be a bit more conservative now and back it down to 8-10 games over.500 entering the first week of June without Correa, Ober, Sano (who has been Leury levels of bad), Bundy, Arraez (Covid) as well.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Winder won his first start.  Ober won’t be out for long.   Bundy’s is Covid-related.   

Archer, fwiw, has pitched quite effectively but not deep into games.  Paddack better than expected.  And Sonny Gray can be a solid #3/4 guy at this stage of his career.

Time will tell.  They have an incredibly easy stretch through early June with only two games against Toronto…the rest are sub .500 clubs, mostly the A’s, Tigers and Royals on the slate.

I predicted 14 over earlier, but I’ll be a bit more conservative now and back it down to 8-10 games over.500 entering the first week of June without Correa, Ober, Sano (who has been Leury levels of bad), Bundy, Arraez (Covid) as well.

You just listed off a bunch of 4-5 starters, and Sonny Gray.  Twins pitching still sucks, even though it massively overachieved the first 25 games. 

With Correa going down, likely for at least a few weeks with what sounds like a broken finger on his throwing hand, I'd be surprised to see the Twins play over .500 ball the next month, even with the weak schedule.  And the covid outbreak may not be over. 

Edited by ChiSox59

23 hours ago, Texsox said:

Who cares if he's ready to start or not? I would hope the entire organization would care. 

They're starting Keuchel now and subsequently he doesn't look ready to pitch well against a division 2 college, yet the organization doesn't care. Give me Lopez for 2 IP and 1 ER every 5th day over 2 IP and 4 ER for Keuchel every 5th day

On 5/6/2022 at 10:09 PM, ChiSox59 said:

You just listed off a bunch of 4-5 starters, and Sonny Gray.  Twins pitching still sucks, even though it massively overachieved the first 25 games. 

With Correa going down, likely for at least a few weeks with what sounds like a broken finger on his throwing hand, I'd be surprised to see the Twins play over .500 ball the next month, even with the weak schedule.  And the covid outbreak may not be over.  

This prediction is not off to a great start...other than the Astros (home series), who do you expect to beat them over the next 24?   So far they are 6-2 in May, so you really think they are going 10-14 during the next 24 (exactly .500, although you said OVER, which means 9-15 or 8-16 during this upcoming stretch.

Houston (3)

Cleveland (3)

@ Oakland (3)

@ KC (3)

Detroit (3)

Kansas City (4)

@ Detroit (5)

On June 3rd, their schedule finally turns.   Toronto, the Yankees (who they almost never beat, certainly not in the post-season at 18 consecutive losses), TB and Seattle (just promoted George Kirby)

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

This prediction is not off to a great start...other than the Astros (home series), who do you expect to beat them over the next 24?   So far they are 6-2 in May, so you really think they are going 10-14 during the next 24 (exactly .500, although you said OVER, which means 9-15 or 8-16 during this upcoming stretch.

Houston (3)

Cleveland (3)

@ Oakland (3)

@ KC (3)

Detroit (3)

Kansas City (4)

@ Detroit (5)

On June 3rd, their schedule finally turns.   Toronto, the Yankees (who they almost never beat, certainly not in the post-season at 18 consecutive losses), TB and Seattle (just promoted George Kirby)

He said the next month and posted it on 5/6 so the games in May prior to that don't count. Count 5/6-6/6.