Time to Sacrifice Dallas

5 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

People are arguing that nobody can be better than a pitcher with an 8.40 ERA. 

Chick, take a look at Sox SP in AAA and AA and lemme know who is a better option?  I'll wait.  

Only real option is Kelly's arrival pushes one of Banks/ReyLo into the rotation.  But those guys have been fairly important in the pen to this point. There is absolutely no one at AAA that is assured to be better than Dallas.  Again, May 15th is the decision date on Cueto so I suspect he'll get a shot if his next start or 2 in AAA go better, but I don't think he'll be any good in the majors, nor do I think they'll cut Keuchel for him just yet. 

Edited by ChiSox59

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Chick, take a look at Sox SP in AAA and AA and lemme know who is a better option?  I'll wait.  

Reynaldo Lopez for one is an easy one.

if it’s as you say in the minors, you fucking find a guy who’s been driving a truck or washing cars to throw batting practice every fifth day. How about trading for a stiff on another team that can break an 8.40. They do exist, trust me. Basically you don’t  sit around as a major league organization that portends to be a world series contender and roll this garbage out anymore because you say you don’t have anything at AAA. This is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

People are arguing that nobody can be better than a pitcher with an 8.40 ERA. 

People are arguing that no one else who is currently available to the White Sox might be better. 

Cueto has been getting curbstomped in AAA.

Lambert is hurt.

Stiever is hurt.

The two other possible starters are both becoming mainstays in the White Sox bullpen in Reynaldo Lopez and Tanner Banks.

• Like 1

Just now, Chick Mercedes said:

Reynaldo Lopez for one is an easy one.

if it’s as you say in the minors, you fucking find a guy who’s been driving a truck or washing cars to throw batting practice every fifth day. How about trading for a stiff on another team that can break an 8.40. They do exist, trust me. Basically you don’t  sit around as a major league organization that portends to be a world series contender and roll this garbage out anymore because you say you don’t have anything at AAA. This is ridiculous. 

Well, Reylo is not stretched out.  And he's also been a fairly improtant piece in the pen.  But yeah, he'd probably be a little better than Dallas.

Look, I don't disagree that the Sox SP depth is dire.  Its truly awful after the top 4.  I am not defending it.  But aside from ReyLo and Banks who have been important pen pieces 25 games in, and Cueto who has been equally as bad as Keuchel (but in AAA!!), we are not exactly flush with options.  I too would have been grabbing guys off waivers and trying them out over the past few weeks, but Sox for whatever reason want to get what they can out of their $18M man.  They probably think Dallas is a better option.   

Sorry, got a little hot there for a second. Its just frustrating to be giving up, like giving up is an option. There are moves that can at least be tried. Kuechel has to be shut down while there is an open ended  audition of candidates. If this was supposed to be some mid pack team, then whatever. Even then. But whatever. If the Sox gave us these excuses in the situation they are in, why should anyone accept it let alone defend it. 

On 5/1/2022 at 2:41 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

This team is a mess and needs a fucking wake-up call.  Given the GM & manager are likely off-limits, I think it’s time for Dallas to be DFAed.  He’s an automatic loss at this point and would make a perfect sacrifice given his veteran status.  Also, with an off-day this coming Thursday, we can skip his next start and buy us a bit more time for Cueto to be ready.

What do you guys think?  Is now the time to cut bait on Keuchel?  If not now, how much rope do you give him?  Either way, something big has to happen to snap this team out of its funk.

Are you off your meds again ?😂

There may be some options that become available as the season moves along. 

For example, are there any other pitchers in the minors on other teams that have similar deadlines like Cueto?

Maybe trades will develop due to either injuries on other teams or teams dropping out of the playoff picture.

I'm not aware of those, but I would hope/expect that Hahn and his team would be paying a lot of attention to these other options. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

People are arguing that no one else who is currently available to the White Sox might be better. 

Lambert is hurt.

Stiever is hurt.

The two other possible starters are both becoming mainstays in the White Sox bullpen in Reynaldo Lopez and Tanner Banks.

X2

Of course there is the real possibility that Dallas' career is over and he should retire. That he'll never be a MLB pitcher again. 

Looking at the options today IMHO him returning to something close to his former self is as likely or unlikely as the other options being a reliable 5th starter. So keep running him out there and hope for the best.

I'd like to know what people are seeing in Cueto that makes them believe he'd be as good or better. I believe he has one more "who cares what his stats are he's getting ready start" then he's got to get some outs in AAA to be considered for a rotation spot. 

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Well, Reylo is not stretched out.  And he's also been a fairly improtant piece in the pen.  But yeah, he'd probably be a little better than Dallas.

Look, I don't disagree that the Sox SP depth is dire.  Its truly awful after the top 4.  I am not defending it.  But aside from ReyLo and Banks who have been important pen pieces 25 games in, and Cueto who has been equally as bad as Keuchel (but in AAA!!), we are not exactly flush with options.  I too would have been grabbing guys off waivers and trying them out over the past few weeks, but Sox for whatever reason want to get what they can out of their $18M man.  They probably think Dallas is a better option.   

Who cares if Lopez is or isn't stretched out? Keuchel gives them 3 IP every start anyway. What will they be losing by starting Lopez? 1 inning?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Hopefully someone with less than an ERA of 8.40 steps in ffs.

Can’t  tell if serious.  At this point the Sox  get more for the money by paying Gas Can Kuechel to  not pitch.

Look it's not any fan's fault the Sox screwed everything up this off season. I was the biggest proponent of giving the QO to Rodon and then resigning him. The Sox made their bed. I was just giving you the facts as they stand now. They have Jack and Squat to replace Keuchel with that doesn't fuck with how the rest of the team is constructed.

As bad as Keuchel looks right now and last year you just don't rid yourself of a healthy arm in early May. There is a slight chance he can pitch better. This is called insurance  in case someone else goes down .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

Who cares if Lopez is or isn't stretched out? Keuchel gives them 3 IP every start anyway. What will they be losing by starting Lopez? 1 inning?

Who cares if he's ready to start or not? I would hope the entire organization would care. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

X2

Of course there is the real possibility that Dallas' career is over and he should retire. That he'll never be a MLB pitcher again. 

Looking at the options today IMHO him returning to something close to his former self is as likely or unlikely as the other options being a reliable 5th starter. So keep running him out there and hope for the best.

I'd like to know what people are seeing in Cueto that makes them believe he'd be as good or better. I believe he has one more "who cares what his stats are he's getting ready start" then he's got to get some outs in AAA to be considered for a rotation spot. 

Cueto was a lot better than Keuchel last year and has a 4.39 FIP so far in AAA.

Keuchel is the worst SP in baseball and would get lit up by a mediocre A+ lineup, much less a AAA one  Let's see what Cueto can do. Keuchel is an auto-loss every game he starts.

People act like the Sox don’t know Dallas sucks.  The whole team knows he sucks.  Everyone knows he sucks.  

I still think their whole plan was to wait for their minor league guys to take some steps and make some trades possible.   Looks like they were right.  Sit tight everybody, help is on the way. 

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Look it's not any fan's fault the Sox screwed everything up this off season. I was the biggest proponent of giving the QO to Rodon and then resigning him. The Sox made their bed. I was just giving you the facts as they stand now. They have Jack and Squat to replace Keuchel with that doesn't fuck with how the rest of the team is constructed.

As bad as Keuchel looks right now and last year you just don't rid yourself of a healthy arm in early May. There is a slight chance he can pitch better. This is called insurance  in case someone else goes down .

Im not advocating to fuck with how the rest of the team is constructed other than maybe Lopez. As far as that’s concerned they should flip roles at a minimum, or just give Kuechel mop up duty innings or long relief after the real starter is getting shelled. Im advocating getting the baseball out of this guys hands. I don’t care who we out out there as long as it isn’t him. Keep trying people out. Point is, try.

5 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

People act like the Sox don’t know Dallas sucks.  The whole team knows he sucks.  Everyone knows he sucks.  

I still think their whole plan was to wait for their minor league guys to take some steps and make some trades possible.   Looks like they were right.  Sit tight everybody, help is on the way. 

You are an odd cat

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Having witnessed the 2003 season, the White Sox are simply not going to bring all these obscure AAA/AA guys up for tryouts and eat Keuchel's deal after just 4-5 starts.

They have to go with the guy who provides the best odds of at least eating 3-4 innings per game to keep from decimating the bullpen.

The Twins (based on the total ease of upcoming schedule) will have some type of lead heading into June.  The Sox will have to make it up the final four months of the season when the offense and weather heat up. 

It's also looking increasingly likely the Guardians will be a very dangerous team, especially at home.

Edited by caulfield12

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You are an odd cat

Sure, those same two groups of pitchers that arguably had Kade McClure as their headliner were going to magically morph into Rays or Indians starting pitchers.

With that line of thinking, his 109 Sox victories in 2022 prediction seems a bit conservative.

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Lambert is hurt.

Stiever is hurt.

Well part of the reason they have been called upon so much (and performed) is because of how bad Dallas has been. 

If Lopez can go 5 innings and give up 3 runs instead of Dallas going 2 and giving up 5 that's going to save the bullpen and win a few more games at the same time.

There's no reason not to try out Reynaldo as a starter right now. He's shown real growth both physically and mentally. Who knows, maybe the dude is like a 2 WAR starter now. It's worth trying because Dallas is putting up historically awful numbers.

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Well part of the reason they have been called upon so much (and performed) is because of how bad Dallas has been. 

If Lopez can go 5 innings and give up 3 runs instead of Dallas going 2 and giving up 5 that's going to save the bullpen and win a few more games at the same time.

There's no reason not to try out Reynaldo as a starter right now. He's shown real growth both physically and mentally. Who knows, maybe the dude is like a 2 WAR starter now. It's worth trying because Dallas is putting up historically awful numbers.

Well arguably you have another righty in Kelly coming soon to replace Lopez.

Seems like Keuchel gets at least 2-3 more starts...(simultaneously dependent on how VV and Cueto are looking.)

But it's certainly the most logical move available to Hahn at the moment.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Im not advocating to fuck with how the rest of the team is constructed other than maybe Lopez. As far as that’s concerned they should flip roles at a minimum, or just give Kuechel mop up duty innings or long relief after the real starter is getting shelled. Im advocating getting the baseball out of this guys hands. I don’t care who we out out there as long as it isn’t him. Keep trying people out. Point is, try.

If Velasquez can have another solid start it's possible you may get your wish. Giolito, Cease, Kopech, then  2 of  Velasquez, Lopez, Cueto (if he doesn't opt out on May 15th) possibly Banks. Kelly takes an open BP spot as does perhaps Keuchel if he isn't released.  Once Lynn is back  that could be the end of Kuechel . Until then there's time to see how they all perform.

Vaughn, Moncada and Kelly all should be back in the 2nd week of May barring any setbacks ,which could happen to Moncada. Lynn is possibly back in the rotation the 2nd or 3rd week in June. Same is possible for Eloy.