Lineup Once Yoan Returns

So obviously this lineup is really struggling right now, especially against RHP (we currently have a league worse 69 wRC+).  A lack of on-base percentage has been the driving factor and it’s easy see why when the lineup is filled with multiple guys in the low single digits in terms of walk rate.

Yoan is coming back soon and should help address both areas.  The question is where do you slot him and what other changes do you make to the lineup against RHP?  Here is how I’d structure the lineup going forward:

1. Anderson, SS
  2. Robert, CF
  3. Moncada, 3B#
  4. Abreu, 1B
  5. Vaughn, LF
  6. Grandal, C#
  7. Pollock, RF
  8. Sheets, DH*
  9. Harrison, 2B

I think we need to put him directly in the #3 spot.  I want that on-base percentage (.385 last year against RHP) directly in front of Jose & Vaughn.  Ultimately I think clustering our top five hitters near at the top of the lineup is the key to get things going.  And they need to be in the lineup nearly everyday.  If they need a rest, give them a day at DH.

There are other things I’d like to see too.  First, Grandal needs to be bumped down until he figures his shit out.  Both his BB rate & ISO are lacking right now, but I do expect those to come around even if last year ends up being a bit of an outlier.  Either way, he needs to start much more a C as we can’t afford McGuire’s invisible bat draining the lineup as much as it is right now.  This even more critical if you plan on giving the guys above an occasional DH start.

Finally, Leury needs to be on the bench far more often.  As bad as Harrison has been, his xwOBA is over 50 points higher than Legend’s.  He needs to be the primary guy at 2B even if he isn’t a greater solution there.  And as for RF, when Pollock needs time off (and he will) it should be Engel getting the starts and not Leury.  I don’t care that we’re talking against RHP, Legend isn’t good against them either and brings a very undispiplined approach.  At this point, I want Leury getting the least amount of playing time until the rest of the offense starts heating up.

What are your thoughts on there?  Where does Yoan slot in and what other lineup changes would you makes against RHP?

I’d put Yoan 2nd. Give me a guy whose had known success in that spot and will compliment Anderson’s aggressive approach with his patience and ability to work the count. 

1. SS Anderson R

2. 3B Moncada S

3. CF Robert R

4. 1B Abreu R

5. C Grandal S

6. LF Vaughn R

7. RF Pollock R

8. DH Sheets L

9. 2B Harrison/Garcia R/S

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I would give Robinson Cano a shot at DH. His contract salary is already paid for this year so he would cost minimal . LH and good clubhouse guy. Maybe he comes alive when warmer weather arrives  but he is a cheap gamble if he does not take away DH bats for Vaughn. 

Vs, RHP 

1. SS Anderson .725
  2. 3B Moncada # .815
  3. 1B Abreu .841
  4. LF Vaughn .643 (.894 in 2022) 
  5. C Grandal # .799
  6. CF Robert .768
  7. RF Pollock .800
  8. DH Sheets ^ . 839 (.297 vs. LHP)
  9. 2B Harrison .703

Vs. LHP

1. SS Anderson .877
  2. CF Robert 1.052
  3. C Grandal # .806
  4. 1B Abreu .930
  5. DH Vaughn .949
  6. 3B Moncada # .701
  7. LF Pollock .855
  8. RF Engel .678 (.620 vs. RHP)
  9. 2B Harrison .757

Bench (Engel and Sheets platooned above plus three below)

• McGuire ^ .726 .412
  • 2B/SS/RF L. Garcia .644 .692
  • 3B J. Burger R 28 Games .771 L 14 Games .546

If Abreu continues to slump through Memorial Day, consider moving him down to the 5th or 6th spot. I think his best shot is with Vaughn protecting him.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
Added career OPS splits.
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Why do I have a feeling Yoan's stay will be short lived with that oblique injury? I highly doubt he's 100%.

Might need to ptatc to opine on this, but it seems like league-wide there are way more oblique injuries early in the season, is that just a short spring training thing?