Crosstown Series Game One--6:40 CT

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

well, TLR is back up to his bullshit.  Seems like McGuire is going to be Kopech's personal catcher, so I am not surprised to see him in there but we need to stop playing him 4-5x a week.  He's not good.  

I think he's a useful player if he's starting once or twice a week. Problem is he's starting more often than not. Sounds familiar if you ask me

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He sucks. 

the dead ball has really hurt him. his expected weighted on base has gone down each year. The quality of his contact just isn't there. It's going to be very interesting to see if he can maintain as a 2 WAR player. I think he can but there's also a chance the Sox sold about as high as they could on the guy.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

the dead ball has really hurt him. his expected weighted on base has gone down each year. The quality of his contact just isn't there. It's going to be very interesting to see if he can maintain as a 2 WAR player. I think he can but there's also a chance the Sox sold about as high as they could on the guy.

I figured if anything a dead ball would help a guy who never barreled the ball anyway honestly. 

His K Rate is also ballooning which you can’t rally blame on the ball I don’t think. 

Edited by mqr

21 minutes ago, Quin said:

He stopped?

Things kind of sort of made sense for the last homestand, even if the play was still awful. But no, he didn't stop to answer your question. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Things kind of sort of made sense for the last homestand, even if the play was still awful. But no, he didn't stop to answer your question. 

Resting guys doesn't prevent them from getting hurt anyways we've seen that over and over.

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Except his replacement is playing like he has a 1.5 fWAR ceiling at $5.5 million so not sure that we're much better off.  More energy/enthusiasm?

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Except his replacement is playing like he has a 1.5 fWAR ceiling at $5.5 million so not sure that we're much better off.  More energy/enthusiasm?

I'm not a huge Madrigal fan but I'm with you on Harrison. The Sox created a hole at 2B and didn't fill it. The guys they have brought in haven't worked out. Hindsight is 20/20 but right now I'd rather have Nick at 2B than Harrison and the other bums.

16 minutes ago, mqr said:

I just checked in on nick madrigal for the first time and holy hell

I just remember Kaplan dancing with glee saying it was revenge for the Quintana trade and that Madrigal would be winning annual batting titles.

2 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Amazing, how soft we are these days, with guys who are in 10x better shape than they were 30-40 years ago.

bad combo of injury prone types and an overly cautious mindset. I'd play the guys until they can't. It's not like Robert can't get hurt a million other ways outside of slipping on wet grass.

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

I just remember Kaplan dancing with glee saying it was revenge for the Quintana trade and that Madrigal would be winning annual batting titles.

Really? Even if I really hated Kimbrel and was a cubs fan I'd have to think I wouldn't have been thrilled getting a hurt Madrigal back as the return. Is he just a huge Cubs homer and thinks every move is gonna be a smash success?

42 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

well, TLR is back up to his bullshit.  Seems like McGuire is going to be Kopech's personal catcher, so I am not surprised to see him in there but we need to stop playing him 4-5x a week.  He's not good.  

I wonder if Grandal is 100% healthy. 

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Really? Even if I really hated Kimbrel and was a cubs fan I'd have to think I wouldn't have been thrilled getting a hurt Madrigal back as the return. Is he just a huge Cubs homer and thinks every move is gonna be a smash success?

I was gonna say Kaplan is the equivalent of Garfein, but Garfein is more nuanced than him.

Kap is like...imagine the anti-Parkman.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I don’t think madrigals ceiling is all that much higher than that, which is why I was cool with the trade when it happened

Just now, Texsox said:

I wonder if Grandal is 100% healthy. 

They've said he is.  They just McGuire and have said they're taking it easy on Grandal in the early going.  But McGuire kills them offensively and while he's better catcher than Yaz, he has been pretty bad back there last couple weeks.  They just need to play Yaz.