Crosstown Series Game One--6:40 CT

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Down 4.5 games and dealing with multiple injuries, yet feels compelled to rest one of our best hitters in early May when we finally have a chance to build some momentum.  Just zero sense of urgency with this clown and further proof he’s no longer capable of being a quality major league manager.

You have to have Robert in there with Vaughn out...have to account for the likelihood we will inevitably do something dumb like let Suzuki beat us, even though he has cooled down recently.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Down 4.5 games and dealing with multiple injuries, yet feels compelled to rest one of our best hitters in early May when we finally have a chance to build some momentum.  Just zero sense of urgency with this clown and further proof he’s no longer capable of being a quality major league manager.

He's resting guys for the playoffs which is absolutely not a certainty at this point. 

I 100% understand looking at the big picture with things (and I couldn't care less that the Cubs are on the schedule) but he's gone overboard with the "keeping guys fresh" stuff 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yeah, there is NO WAY anyone could play 162 games in a season, and deal with any normal pain/strains, etc. They'd have to be a top 1% physical specimen, for sure...

prince-fielder-detroit-tigers-slugger.jp

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Tony said:

He's resting guys for the playoffs which is absolutely not a certainty at this point. 

I 100% understand looking at the big picture with things (and I couldn't care less that the Cubs are on the schedule) but he's gone overboard with the "keeping guys fresh" stuff 

Maybe this year's plan is to sneak in with the #3 wild card and play giant killers as pronounced underdogs.

Or rely on the Twins being too intimidated to line up with the Yankees in the ALDS brackets.

Who the hell knows what they are thinking?

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You have to have Robert in there with Vaughn out...have to account for the likelihood we will inevitably do something dumb like let Suzuki beat us, even though he has cooled down recently.

Fully agree on the first point.  You don’t rest one of your best hitters when one of your other best hitters is out unless you absolutely have too.

Just now, Capn12 said:

Fielder played 157 or more games, 8 seasons in a row. It is silly to me, the 'keep them fresh' garbage.

That strategy sure as hell didn't work for us last season

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

I would agree for the players who aren't "injury prone" I think players do need time off more mental than physical but the target should be at in the 140s

I also get that part if the strategy is to keep the bench involved and somewhat sharp as they will be needed when the starters go down. 

All of this is magnified by the abbreviated spring training which we predicted would increase injuries. 

The primary issue though is guys like Robert, Jimenez and moncada need to have significant changes to their off season training. 

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

I’m fine resting guys more frequently once you get later in the season and guys are starting to wear down, but when the team is in a total rut early in the season you do everything you can to win a few in a row and rebuild the team’s confidence.  This shit isn’t that hard, but Tony can’t help but over-manage and make winning more challenging than it already is.

Just to add to the preventative measures ptac has mentioned, I think that  mandatory pre-game stretching and warm-up exercises should be put in place  with team strength/exercise coach(es) out there to monitor it.

Stretching out hamstrings is one of the keys. ptac knows much more about this than I do (as a former HS/ College football player who always had a warm-up regime) so I think his comments on this deserve attention.

Digging down on this a bit further, perhaps WSox strength and conditioning protocols need ti be reviewed, even in specific instances. For example, did Eloy go through required warmups including hammy stretches before the game that he injured his hamstring? Warming up does not mean that yoi won;t be ionjured, but it reduces the chance., especially in cold weather games.

Some of these guys should probably be on the stationary bike in the clubhouse between inning to stay warm.

Edited by tray

Even dumber, that we see it as a good idea to play both catchers in so many games.

I'll gladly admit I was off my rocker, if this strategy somehow propels us to a World Series, but....

3 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Fielder played 157 or more games, 8 seasons in a row. It is silly to me, the 'keep them fresh' garbage.

At first base. He wasn't flying around the OF trying to make up for the lack of range of the other OF.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Yeah, there is NO WAY anyone could play 162 games in a season, and deal with any normal pain/strains, etc. They'd have to be a top 1% physical specimen, for sure...

prince-fielder-detroit-tigers-slugger.jp

You know it's funny I was just thinking the other day one of the reasons I feel old is that I clearly remember Cecil Fielder's career and his son's career has already come and gone too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

At first base. He wasn't flying around the OF trying to make up for the lack of range of the other OF.

Dude was 300 lbs, and lets be honest, like it was already mentioned, there isn't exactly full speed, constant motion in baseball.

If we were talking about the wear and tear of basketball or football, then sure.

I am not fine resting guys when your 9-13. Play your best people and get over 500. You have enough injuries to where the people that are here have to be the best to go until you get your injured people back. Then rest here and there. At least garcia has been sitting. Harrison is the new punching bag .

• Like 2