Crosstown Series Game One--6:40 CT

16 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I wonder where Stoney parks his car. He said a mile walk away. I'd imagine it's tough to get a parking pass since I'm assuming there's not much parking around Wrigley.

I remember some nuns showing me to a space in a lot they ran near the ballpark, maybe 20 years ago, but I couldn't find it today on a bet.  I've been there since the rebuild, but parked remotely.

7 hours ago, ptatc said:

Go check physiology.  Tissues don't heal fully 100% for nearly 10-12 months. It heals well enough for activity in 6-8 weeks but again it's about 85% or so. 

Muscles are muscles, ligaments a re ligaments. If they are sprinting 100% it doesn't matter if it's to first base, after a fly ball, scoring a goal or catching a pass.

Baseball isn't a rough sport but the act act of going from standing still to full speed as in hitting or defense is a stressful act.

It's not load management when it's recovering from injury, it's common sense.

As a 42 year old who plays hockey 5-6 times a week, I find this post about baseball players laughable. Give me a fucking break.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

As a 42 year old who plays hockey 5-6 times a week, I find this post about baseball players laughable. Give me a fucking break.

To each his own. I guess you are just a better athlete than all of these players who are constantly getting injured.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

To each his own. I guess you are just a better athlete than all of these players who are constantly getting injured.

Yes. This is highly probable. Baseball players are probably the least athletic "athletes" of any sport.

As someone who played every sport imaginable growing up, I would rank it as follows, when it comes to pure athletic ability, and pushing your physical limits:

1) Hockey

2) Basketball

3) Football

4) Soccer

5) Baseball

Edited by Paulie4Pres

4 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Yes. This is highly probable. Baseball players are probably the least athletic "athletes" of any sport.

As John Kruk said, lady I ain't no athlete I'm a baseball player.

Seems you agree with him. I however would take guys like Robert, Engel, Moncada and Pollock.

But as I said to each his own.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

As John Kruk said, lady I ain't no athlete I'm a baseball player.

Seems you agree with him. I however would take guys like Robert, Engel, Moncada and Pollock.

But as I said to each his own.

I'm really just speaking to your claims about recovery time. I find these recovery times to be absurd. Again, as an old ass man, my recovery times are shorter than that. 

8 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I'm really just speaking to your claims about recovery time. I find these recovery times to be absurd. Again, as an old ass man, my recovery times are shorter than that. 

That's physiology. That's just the way it is. No one is different there. Tissue heals the way tissue heals. 

As I said people return to activities long before the tissue is 100%. Depending on the injury sometimes the tissue will never heal to 100% of the strength it was. 

There is a difference between being able to return to activities and when the tissue is at 100% of its original tensile strength. 

Having someone return to activities is all about determining when they can do it at the expected performance level relative to the risk of reinjuring the tissue.

Edited by ptatc

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That's physiology. That's just the way it is. No one is different there. Tissue heals the way tissue heals. 

As I said people return to activities long before the tissue is 100%. Depending on the injury sometimes the tissue will never heal to 100% of the strength it was. 

There is a difference between being able to return to activities and when the tissue is at 100% of its original tensile strength. 

So what you're saying is, once an injury is sustained, it takes forever(relatively speaking) to get back to 100%, and you may never get back to 100%? If that's the case, I vehemently disagree. Again, decades of first hand experience and first hand observation, in a sport where tissue injuries are EXTREMELY common. Groin injuries are the worst, but even with a groin injury, I've seen guys come back stronger than they were before the injury. Myself included.

Edited by Paulie4Pres

6 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

So what you're saying is, once an injury is sustained, it takes forever(relatively speaking) to get back to 100%, and you may never get back to 100%? If that's the case, I vehemently disagree. Again, decades of first hand experience and first hand observation, in a sport where tissue injuries are EXTREMELY common. 

That's fine. I'll stick with my nearly 40 years of working in sports medicine.

Edited by ptatc

Just now, ptatc said:

That's fine. I'll stick with my nearly 40 years of working in sports medicine and professional sports.

Well, next time I sustain a tissue injury, I will hit you up. It happens a few times a year, at a minimum. Maybe I'll blow your mind... Who knows. I've got a knee bothering me right now(likely PCL strain, from a slew foot), but I've taken to staying active, continuing to build strength in it, and wearing a brace when playing hockey, as opposed to rest. It's improved drastically in just a week, doing this. 

My injury history would probably be intriguing, as well. Considering I've been playing 150 hockey games a year for the last 10-12 years, and haven't missed more than a few weeks due to injury. 

1 minute ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Well, next time I sustain a tissue injury, I will hit you up. It happens a few times a year, at a minimum. Maybe I'll blow your mind... Who knows. I've got a knee bothering me right now(likely PCL strain, from a slew foot), but I've taken to staying active, continuing to build strength in it, and wearing a brace when playing hockey, as opposed to rest. It's improved drastically in just a week, doing this. 

My injury history would probably be intriguing, as well. Considering I've been playing 150 hockey games a year for the last 10-12 years, and haven't missed more than a few weeks due to injury. 

Anyone whose played hockey that will have an interesting injury.

I ruptured my PCL 39 years ago. The primary problem there is the laxity. It's one of the primary rotational stabilizers of the knee. Finally had enough hyaline cartilage damage that I had surgery in an attempt to avoid a total knee replacement. 

PCL injuries are one for which they still can't come up with effective surgery. Only 50% have favorable outcomes. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Anyone whose played hockey that will have an interesting injury.

I ruptured my PCL 39 years ago. The primary problem there is the laxity. It's one of the primary rotational stabilizers of the knee. Finally had enough hyaline cartilage damage that I had surgery in an attempt to avoid a total knee replacement. 

PCL injuries are one for which they still can't come up with effective surgery. Only 50% have favorable outcomes. 

Yeah, it's certainly not ideal, and I should probably have it looked at, at some point. And surgery is really just never an option for me, because I coach hockey and play so much.

My most painful injury though, was an oblique tear. That took me like 3 months before I didn't feel pain, even just passing a puck. Still never went completely inactive with it. Just cut activity back to where the pain was tolerable, and it eventually healed well. But that was BRUTAL. Even coughing killed me.

I guess I just have a drastically different experience with tissue injuries, than what you've conveyed here. The overwhelming majority of mine, have healed 100%, and fairly quickly. 

Edited by Paulie4Pres

15 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Yeah, it's certainly not ideal, and I should probably have it looked at, at some point. And surgery is really just never an option for me, because I coach hockey and play so much.

My most painful injury though, was an oblique tear. That took me like 3 months before I didn't feel pain, even just passing a puck. Still never went completely inactive with it. Just cut activity back to where the pain was tolerable, and it eventually healed well. But that was BRUTAL. Even coughing killed me.

I guess I just have a drastically different experience with tissue injuries, than what you've conveyed here. The overwhelming majority of mine, have healed 100%, and fairly quickly. 

Just because you don't feel anything doesn't mean the tissue has healed 100%. 

There is a difference between the tissue being functional and it being 100%. 

Ever known someone with recurring back pain? It may not be always debilitating but it never heals 100% and they injure it again.

Edited by ptatc

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Just because you don't feel anything doesn't mean the tissue has healed 100%. 

There is a difference between the tissue being functional and it being 100%. 

Ever known someone with recurring back pain? It may not be always debilitating but it never heals 100% and they injure it again.

So, I would say, being able to perform at 100% of the level I did before the injury, without reinjury, means it is healed 100%. Is that completely accurate? Probably not. The human body compensates a lot. But it's close enough. 

And yeah, I know a few folks with recurring back pain. They tend to be those that don't really take care of themselves, unfortunately. 

13 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

So, I would say, being able to perform at 100% of the level I did before the injury, without reinjury, means it is healed 100%. Is that completely accurate? Probably not. The human body compensates a lot. But it's close enough. 

And yeah, I know a few folks with recurring back pain. They tend to be those that don't really take care of themselves, unfortunately. 

Just because you can do the activity doesn't mean it's 100%. As I said the tissue is about 80-85% after 8weeks. So it's fully functional but not 100%. The rest of the healing time a long time. Ligaments especially may never get there with certain types of injuries.

The people who don't take care of themselves have the reinjuries because it's not healed 100%. If you take care of it, you don't reinjure it but it still isn't healed 100%.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Just because you can do the activity doesn't mean it's 100%. As I said the tissue is about 80-85% after 8weeks. So it's fully functional but not 100%. The rest of the healing time a long time. Ligaments especially may never get there with certain types of injuries.

The people who don't take care of themselves have the reinjuries because it's not healed 100%. If you take care of it, you don't reinjure it but it still isn't healed 100%.

I guess my point, at the end of the day, is that these guys shouldn't be injuring themselves as seriously as they do, as often as they do, and taking as long as they do, to recover. It seems absolutely absurd to me. Something is really off in their training/conditioning. I mean, sprinting to first base TEARS a hamstring? Jumping for a fly ball TEARS a pec muscle? Yikes.

We agree way more than we disagree.

Edited by Paulie4Pres

6 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I guess my point, at the end of the day, is that these guys shouldn't be injuring themselves as seriously as they do, as often as they do, and taking as long as they do, to recover. It seems absolutely absurd to me. Something is really off in their training/conditioning. I mean, sprinting to first base TEARS a hamstring? Jumping for a fly ball TEARS a pec muscle? Yikes.

We agree way more than we disagree.

On this you are correct.  There are far too many issues with the same players. Something needs too be done with their off season training program. 

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

As someone who played every sport imaginable growing up, I would rank it as follows, when it comes to pure athletic ability, and pushing your physical limits:

1) Hockey

2) Basketball

3) Football

4) Soccer

5) Baseball

any one who thinks hockey players are better athletes than basketball players is kidding themselves. as for pushing it to the limit I would agree with that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Honest question as someone who played hockey likely ~250-300 days a year from ages 5-20: what kind of hockey are you playing that you're still skating 5-6 times a week at age 42?  Men's league? Coaching?  Both? 

Because I still dabble with some men's leagues here and there and let's not pretend like the vast majority of men's leagues are anything but gliding around the ice at about 70% with little to no defense or contact.  Not exactly equivalent to playing a professional sport everyday.   Unless you're playing in a league full of former pros that still get after it 5-6 times a week (seems unlikely, especially at 42), have a hard time drawing any parallels here.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

So what you're saying is, once an injury is sustained, it takes forever(relatively speaking) to get back to 100%, and you may never get back to 100%? If that's the case, I vehemently disagree. Again, decades of first hand experience and first hand observation, in a sport where tissue injuries are EXTREMELY common. Groin injuries are the worst, but even with a groin injury, I've seen guys come back stronger than they were before the injury. Myself included.

Wait until you're in your 80's and get a groin injury.  Momma.....