ESPN+ grades White Sox an F for first month.

hankchifan

ESPN + graded White Sox with an F for the first month of the season. Quoting TLR weird decisions like hitting Leury second and third in the lineup. Dallas Keuchel probably “ cooked”. Lack of depth.  Positive point Michael Kopech is back.

Edited by hankchifan
Additional content.

Pretty lazy ass analysis for an insider article, but I pay for it for soccer coverage so here's the Sox' portion:

Playoff odds: 47.6%, down 25.3%. A reminder that it's a long season, but it has been an ugly start for the White Sox, with the team's lack of depth being exposed. Things got especially weird in mid-April when Tony La Russa strangely batted light-hitting Leury Garcia third, third and second over a three-game stretch.

Best storyline: Michael Kopech first joined the Chicago rotation back in 2018, before going down with Tommy John surgery after four starts. So it's great to finally see him back as a full-time starter and pitching well.

Mulligan: Dallas Keuchel has been a Cy Young winner and one of the game's great competitors, but he might be cooked. He's 1-3 with an 8.40 ERA, following a not-great 2021, and walked five batters Sunday. Earlier, he allowed 10 runs over one-plus inning of work.

14 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Even those clowns at ESPN can see LaRussa is in over his head, and the last time they paid any attention to baseball Tony was managing the Cardinals.

How Jerry can still be so blinded by loyalty is beyond me.

I mean, Dave Schoenfield generally knows his stuff...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 3GamesToLove said:

I mean, Dave Schoenfield generally knows his stuff...

Schoenfield is good but these broad review articles hardly ever have much insight for a hardcore fan. It is a good way to catch up on some of other clubs however. I think doing the playoff odds' approach is a bit misguided this early but the other side of that argument is the games count as much in April as May. For the Sox at least they were missing about 15 projected WAR the 1st few weeks so that's sorta a mitigating factor.

The one thing I don't get is in 1995 the Sox were expected to be good, but got cheap after the strike, and started off really slow. It cost Lamont his job really quick, replaced by Bevington, and JR had no problem blaming Lamont for supposedly not having the team ready to play. This team has far more talent, and a terrible start. How come that isn't on LaRussa?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The one thing I don't get is in 1995 the Sox were expected to be good, but got cheap after the strike, and started off really slow. It cost Lamont his job really quick, replaced by Bevington, and JR had no problem blaming Lamont for supposedly not having the team ready to play. This team has far more talent, and a terrible start. How come that isn't on LaRussa?

You know the answer before you even asked the question.

7 minutes ago, Big Hurtin said:

Is Chris "OH NO" Berman still over there?

He signed a multi-year deal with ESPN in 2021 and will do a variety of stuff. IMO Berman has been a pretty good all-around sports announcer, just not a first class baseball play-by-play guy. His Sunday night NFL recaps with Tom Jackson were the best of their kind for awhile. Barely needed to even watch the games.