Vaughn to IL

Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Thought this deserved its own thread. The hits just keep coming. 

Ehhh.  Its the right move if he wasn't going to play much this weekend.  He would be eligible to return Tuesday.

Should be getting Moncada back which is nice.  

I have never seen such an injury prone group of players in my 66 years as a White Sox fan. I don't get it. Back in the day, the starting team played nearly every game together. Fox and Aparicio started nearly every game together for several years, including both ends of a Sunday doubleheader separated by less than 30 minutes. There's the old baseball axiom that you get in condition for playing baseball by playing baseball not working out in a gym.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Jerry McNertney said:

I have never seen such an injury prone group of players in my 66 years as a White Sox fan. I don't get it. Back in the day, the starting team played nearly every game together. Fox and Aparicio started nearly every game together for several years, including both ends of a Sunday doubleheader separated by less than 30 minutes. There's the old baseball axiom that you get in condition for playing baseball by playing baseball not working out in a gym.

Andrew Vaughn was hit by a 94 mph fastball in the wrist. There is no amount of playing both games of a doubleheader that will make your bones stronger.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Jerry McNertney said:

It also doesn't help that the players weren't allowed to play in professional baseball games on the normal schedule because of the lockout.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TomPickle said:

Andrew Vaughn was hit by a 94 mph fastball in the wrist. There is no amount of playing both games of a doubleheader that will make your bones stronger.

If you get hit with smaller baseballs at 85 mph it builds immunity to normal size baseballs at 94 mph.

• Haha 3

Addressing the modern development of player usage. Players are being built today for maximum performance but durability and longevity are taking a backseat.

Pitching is the obvious place we notice this. Starters are throwing harder than ever for 80 or 100 pitches tops then leaving the game. Complete game wins today are rare. Pitching into the 8th is rare. 

Players are hitting the weight room at maximum effort to launch 400' shots. They aren't taking whatever body they developed at their off season job and using spring training to get in shape. It's become a year round effort. 

• Haha 1

The only really odd part about this one is that the White Sox continued their pattern of underestimating injury recovery times. “It’s a bruise he will be fine tomorrow” then 5 days later “he’s on the IL”. Shouldn’t someone be able to say “oh that’s a pretty bad bruise this might take a week” faster than this?

• Love 2

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The only really odd part about this one is that the White Sox continued their pattern of underestimating injury recovery times. “It’s a bruise he will be fine tomorrow” then 5 days later “he’s on the IL”. Shouldn’t someone be able to say “oh that’s a pretty bad bruise this might take a week” faster than this?

The medical staff knew it would be longer. They waited this long to tell anybody so they woudn't call up Mendick or some other AAA player that Tony would overuse until Vaughn is back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Excellent point. Odd or another example of an inept franchise?

With the NFL the rules are very strict on reporting injuries. It seems that baseball isn't as concerned about the gamblers and opponents who really need that information. 

If we want to be optimistic it could be they hide it to not give their opponents any useful information. It's perhaps better opponents have to factor in Vaughn potentially pitch hitting instead of knowing he's unavailable. But that's giving Tony and Co some credit for actually having a strategy.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Bruises absolutely can get worse and more painful as you go along in recovery.  

When I was coaching soccer we dealt with a lot of bruises. The standard protocol our trainers followed was monitor for signs of worsening for 72 hours. While most kept getting better, it wasn't uncommon for there to be increasing pain and discomfort especially around joints. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Bruises absolutely can get worse and more painful as you go along in recovery.  

While true in this particular case, it certainly looks bad as yet another example of players getting injured too often, getting serious injuries from seemingly innocuous actions, and injuries seeming to linger much longer than originally announced.