Vaughn to IL

Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

Why do they keep bringing up Mendick? Isn’t there a better option in AAA? How about Yolbert Sánchez? They always baby these players. Enough!

No there isn't.

Once you subtract out pitchers, and MiLB players on the 40 man roster who are injured there are literally 2 players left that they could have called up without releasing someone else.  Mendick or Hasley.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

An option is good for a year.

There is now a limit to how many times a player can be called up in a single year now, correct?  That was the subtle change in the new CBA if I remember right.

Just now, Tnetennba said:

There is now a limit to how many times a player can be called up in a single year now, correct?  That was the subtle change in the new CBA if I remember right.

Accurate.  I want to say it is 5 times you can be sent down, but it didn't start until after the rosters shrunk back to 26 on May 2.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

No there isn't.

Once you subtract out pitchers, and MiLB players on the 40 man roster who are injured there are literally 2 players left that they could have called up without releasing someone else.  Mendick or Hasley.

There are better options.  But as you said, they would require some roster movement.  Amazingly, Crochet and even Yermin is still on the 10 day.  So they theoretically have some flexibility they haven't used, tho I am guessing they've been saving Crochet's spot for Cueto. 

10 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

While true in this particular case, it certainly looks bad as yet another example of players getting injured too often, getting serious injuries from seemingly innocuous actions, and injuries seeming to linger much longer than originally announced. 

Yea I get it where we are all mad about every injury and we are all doctors now.  I know, they haven't looked capable since Herm stepped away.  Just not gonna sit here and blame them when he was hit by a pitch like they could have mitigated that 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The only really odd part about this one is that the White Sox continued their pattern of underestimating injury recovery times. “It’s a bruise he will be fine tomorrow” then 5 days later “he’s on the IL”. Shouldn’t someone be able to say “oh that’s a pretty bad bruise this might take a week” faster than this?

I mean, plane tickets to and from Charlotte are not cheap (these days).  

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The only really odd part about this one is that the White Sox continued their pattern of underestimating injury recovery times. “It’s a bruise he will be fine tomorrow” then 5 days later “he’s on the IL”. Shouldn’t someone be able to say “oh that’s a pretty bad bruise this might take a week” faster than this?

You have to wonder if the reporting is more the FO or medical staff, in general.

The Vaughn injury surprising as contusions and bone bruises are really difficult to predict.  But many of the others are head scratchers.

On 5/4/2022 at 3:51 PM, TomPickle said:

Andrew Vaughn was hit by a 94 mph fastball in the wrist. There is no amount of playing both games of a doubleheader that will make your bones stronger.

If that ever happens to me I'll let you guys know how it feels.

17 hours ago, Texsox said:

Addressing the modern development of player usage. Players are being built today for maximum performance but durability and longevity are taking a backseat.

Pitching is the obvious place we notice this. Starters are throwing harder than ever for 80 or 100 pitches tops then leaving the game. Complete game wins today are rare. Pitching into the 8th is rare. 

Players are hitting the weight room at maximum effort to launch 400' shots. They aren't taking whatever body they developed at their off season job and using spring training to get in shape. It's become a year round effort. 

The careers are getting even shorter among hard throwers. I think under Katz it's more about Ks instead of innings.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's why they did the call up on the offday instead of waiting like they usually would have.  Interesting.

Yeppp.  When Tony made the comment on Tuesday that AV may hit the IL before Boston, I was thinking he'd be eligible to return Tuesday.  Its Thursday now, so an extra 2 games.  Not the end of the world, but not ideal for an offense that is still sputtering. 

13 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Uh oh. Now you are talking joint or tensynovitis issues not a contusion or bone bruise.

Why the hell would they do that right now? Doesn't make any sense. So it's going to mask his true pain level, possible cause him to return too soon and have more issues down the road? There's no way they'd do that for a contusion right? So as you said something in the joint itself structurally is damaged? God damnit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Why the hell would they do that right now? Doesn't make any sense. So it's going to mask his true pain level, possible cause him to return too soon and have more issues down the road? There's no way they'd do that for a contusion right? So as you said something in the joint itself structurally is damaged? God damnit.

They do it for massive inflammation in one of the areas. It's a strong anti-inflammatory not a pain killer. They are trying to decrease inflammation in an area not in the skin or superficial tissues like a contusion would be. Its not necessarily structural damage. Could be just internal joint inflammation which lasts longer.

I had to guess its in one of the wrist joints. That's the most common place for cortisone injections although not exclusively. Could be a longer lasting issue.

Edited by ptatc

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

They do it for massive inflammation in one of the areas. It's a strong anti-inflammatory not a pain killer. They are trying to decrease inflammation in an area not in the skin or superficial tissues like a contusion would be. Its not necessarily structural damage. Could be just internal joint inflammation which lasts longer.

I had to guess its in one of the wrist joints. That's the most common place for cortisone injections although not exclusively. Could be a longer lasting issue.

All I know is that whenever I hear "cortisone shot" and athlete I get worried. I knew the minute Zach got one something wasn't right his knee that just rest wasn't going to solve.

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

All I know is that whenever I hear "cortisone shot" and athlete I get worried. I knew the minute Zach got one something wasn't right his knee that just rest wasn't going to solve.

Yep. It's not a good sign that's for sure.

On 5/5/2022 at 5:19 AM, Texsox said:

Addressing the modern development of player usage. Players are being built today for maximum performance but durability and longevity are taking a backseat.

Pitching is the obvious place we notice this. Starters are throwing harder than ever for 80 or 100 pitches tops then leaving the game. Complete game wins today are rare. Pitching into the 8th is rare. 

Players are hitting the weight room at maximum effort to launch 400' shots. They aren't taking whatever body they developed at their off season job and using spring training to get in shape. It's become a year round effort. 

I think Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax, and Nolan Ryan might have something to say about today's pitchers  throwing harder than ever for 80 or 100 pitches before leaving the game.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

How long of a recovery in worst case scenario?

Don't want to go there. Worst case scenario is one of a multitude of surgeries and the season is over.

Most likely though is 2-4 weeks for the more common issues.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

worst case scenario is easily power sapping soreness and stiffness all year that isn't resolved until the offseason.

That's in the middle. Certain wrist surgeries can be long rehabs. Bit those aren't very likely.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Don't want to go there. Worst case scenario is one of a multitude of surgeries and the season is over.

Most likely though is 2-4 weeks for the more common issues.

The worst case scenario sounds awfully similar to what Alex Kirilloff is going through right now on the Twins. I believe he had surgery over the off-season and it still hasn't seemed to solve the issue.