AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, joesaiditstrue said:

for those who watched the whole game, what's been the difference with Velasquez since his recent run of good outings?  I watched a couple innings of him tonight and his stuff was not great at all imo, but sometimes you can get guys out regardless

He's around the plate and for the most part makes guys earn their way. Doesn't have many non competitive pitches or at bats. His stuff is fine for a 5th starter imo or even 4th as long as his control is there. He has a little Lance Lynn in him in that he'd rather throw a spinner down Broadway then fall behind and walk guys. I appreciate that style of pitching.

That said it's relative. He's fine as the 5th starter anything more is asking too much. He's ahead of Dallas for sure but ideally he's 5th guy rest of the way when staff is healthy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's around the plate and for the most part makes guys earn their way. Doesn't have many non competitive pitches or at bats. His stuff is fine for a 5th starter imo or even 4th as long as his control is there. He has a little Lance Lynn in him in that he'd rather throw a spinner down Broadway then fall behind and walk guys. I appreciate that style of pitching.

That said it's relative. He's fine as the 5th starter anything more is asking too much. He's ahead of Dallas for sure but ideally he's 5th guy rest of the way when staff is healthy.

He is definitely working on things, today you could see him talking to himself and what looked like lining up his hips towards to the plate before pitches when he was losing it a bit in the 4th or 5th innings

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Give it up for Velasquez.  He is competing and that is all you can ask.  

Preaching to the choir here.  Everything he throws has movement and he's some good coaching away from being a solid starter. You can see his confidence and command growing.

47 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

He is definitely working on things, today you could see him talking to himself and what looked like lining up his hips towards to the plate before pitches when he was losing it a bit in the 4th or 5th innings

VV at least looks like a pitcher. DK looks like he is from the ZZ band.

😀Young people always struggle with the learning curve that comes with being an early adopter of new or emerging technology and they don't like being forced to try new things. I cut the cable years ago and stream everything. 

Streaming sucks for some applications, especially live events. Some companies are better than others and some are more innovative. Apple sucks. When they have a lead in something they exploit the hell out of it (messaging right now) to get you to buy their hardware. 

Other companies like MLB think they have to try every new thing or they will be left behind. Ask your grandparents about the disastrous OnTV deal that cost the Sox dearly and turned this into a Cub town for decades because the Cubs were broadcasting to every nursing home in America each afternoon. 

But it gets better. Where I'm hoping this is going is to allow me to buy an all platform, all access, no restriction, package. MLB.tv, You Tube, Apple TV, cable, ota, whatever. The performance will continue to improve with better hardware and Internet capabilities. 

But no doubt with current technology, streaming isn't as nice as cable or ota signals for live events. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

If Velazquez wins 12+ games with a sub 4 ERA this season, there are going to be alot of posters eating crow and apologizing to Hahn  :) 

I’d be thanking Katz

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Texsox said:

😀Young people always struggle with the learning curve that comes with being an early adopter of new or emerging technology and they don't like being forced to try new things. I cut the cable years ago and stream everything. 

Streaming sucks for some applications, especially live events. Some companies are better than others and some are more innovative. Apple sucks. When they have a lead in something they exploit the hell out of it (messaging right now) to get you to buy their hardware. 

Other companies like MLB think they have to try every new thing or they will be left behind. Ask your grandparents about the disastrous OnTV deal that cost the Sox dearly and turned this into a Cub town for decades because the Cubs were broadcasting to every nursing home in America each afternoon. 

But it gets better. Where I'm hoping this is going is to allow me to buy an all platform, all access, no restriction, package. MLB.tv, You Tube, Apple TV, cable, ota, whatever. The performance will continue to improve with better hardware and Internet capabilities. 

But no doubt with current technology, streaming isn't as nice as cable or ota signals for live events. 

I'm trying to connect Chromecast to my Dishnetwork tv and I keep running into road blocks. But I'm so old school that a hard drive to me is a trip in a snowstorm! 😂

14 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

I'm trying to connect Chromecast to my Dishnetwork tv and I keep running into road blocks. But I'm so old school that a hard drive to me is a trip in a snowstorm! 😂

When we first cut the cable we were doing everything through a Roku stick and dumb TV. That was easy :wacko:

Now we kind of rotate through streaming services based on what we are binging at the moment. 

57 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

If Velazquez wins 12+ games with a sub 4 ERA this season, there are going to be alot of posters eating crow and apologizing to Hahn  :) 

Yes, if there’s one thing the Soxtalk anti-fans are good at, it’s admitting when they’re wrong 

9 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

That broadcast was pretty brutal. 

Not having Apple TV, I was outside looking in.  Actually following via my PC. Where did the broadcast originate from and who were the announcers?

15 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Yes, if there’s one thing the Soxtalk anti-fans are good at, it’s admitting when they’re wrong 

And we're exceptional at forgetting when others are wrong. That's never brought up years and years later 😃

11 hours ago, pcullotta said:

Old man yells at cloud moment coming:

Streaming sucks for Live sports. For three innings, just out of habit, I changed the channel to hockey after each half inning. Then I had to immediately go back to Apple TV and start up the stream again, and still missed a couple pitches.   

I know I'm old, but I appreciate cable for how quickly I can flip back and forth for live TV.  Movies/TV Shows are different, no commercials means leave it on and enjoy. Live sports with ads, I'm just used to being able to quickly change to something else, then come back in 2 minutes without any slowness. 

Sorry for the Abe Simpson moment. 

Yeah that is definitely one thing I miss with going all streaming. I did find out today that my AppleTV (the actual device) allows me to do PIP so I was able to put Apple+ baseball and the basketball/hockey and switch between them. That was nice.  I will have to explore my AppleTV more to see all the capabilities with that. 

There is also a multicast option but for some reason I could only get that with ESPN channels. That could be good come CFB season. 

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I would love that to happen and if it does, I will admit I was wrong about VV. However let's be clear here, this is actually more about Katz fixing VV and Katz should be thanked.

5 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I would love that to happen and if it does, I will admit I was wrong about VV. However let's be clear here, this is actually more about Katz fixing VV and Katz should be thanked.

Katz should also be thanked, but Hahn or any management brings in a player like VV with the idea that their system/ coaches can do this or that to help and hopefully turn that player around. So that credit has to start with team management, Hahn. And Hahn brought in Katz, so one way or the other, if VV works out, credit has to go to Hahn.

14 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Why not crediting both Hahn and Katz in that scenario?

2 hours ago, Spumoni said:

I’d be thanking Katz

Why are apologizing to Hahn, lol?

Does he apologize for Pollock, Keuchel, Harrison, McGuire, Leury, Sheets, etc.?  Not giving Rodon a QO?

The closest it will ever come to that is his rare admission basically calling himself an idiot about the Tatis deal.  Once.

But his truest impulse is to call us “lazy analysts” for pointing out Jimenez is injury prone and TLR making his “not real fans” assertions when someone questions him.

Apple TV sucks and not just because of the streaming flaws. The broadcasting crew of Melanie Newman & Chris Young were boring and pathetic. Sadly we have one more Apple game later this season. It will be refreshing to hear Benetti and Stone today.

Cease today against Pivetta 0-4/7.84. The Sox bats need to light him up!

Let's make it 5 in a row!

Don't Stop Now Boys!

37 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Why not crediting both Hahn and Katz in that scenario?

Trust me I will credit Hahn too. I have always been a huge Hahn supporter and never criticized Hahn on this board. I just think on paper the signing wasn't that great when you look at Velasquez's lifetime numbers. Hahn has made some unbelievable trades and signings, but this one is more about Katz than Hahn.

47 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Katz should also be thanked, but Hahn or any management brings in a player like VV with the idea that their system/ coaches can do this or that to help and hopefully turn that player around. So that credit has to start with team management, Hahn. And Hahn brought in Katz, so one way or the other, if VV works out, credit has to go to Hahn.

I have always been a huge Hahn fan and if VV is still solid at the end of the year, I will totally give credit to Hahn. However Katz is the man making this happen. If you look at VV's lifetime ERA of nearly 5.00 before coming here, along with his first few Sox starts, you will clearly see this is mostly due to Katz.

Btw, don't go too crazy with the Hahn credit on bringing in Katz. That credit goes more to Giolito. Yet I do agree Hahn gets a lot of credit for being smart enough to listen to Giolito. 

32 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why are apologizing to Hahn, lol?

Does he apologize for Pollock, Keuchel, Harrison, McGuire, Leury, Sheets, etc.?  Not giving Rodon a QO?

Kind of early to be lumping all these guys into one package. Pollock isn't performing at anything like his (later career) potential, but there is no good reason for him not to get in a groove and be a solid contributor. The guy can hit and still play the field competently. Bringing him over might not become the success one would like, but the trade was not a bad deal. 
BOOMER! 

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

Woah.  Do you mean to tell me that decisions are made by multiple people, not just one?

If it doesn't work we can't just blame a single person that's makes decisions without input from others?

/sarcasm rant (not targeted at this poster)

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 2