Moncada to be back on Monday

CentralChamps21

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

xWOBA doesn't account for the 2022 baseballs, so it means nothing. 

There are barrels going for outs this year. 

When there's enough of a sample size and they're only comparing it against 2022 batted balls, I'll listen. 

The balls are part of it, the mean drag coefficient on the balls are about .1 higher meaning they go about 5 feet shorter on average than the balls last year. And about 10 feet shorter than the juiced balls the league was using from 2017-2019. 

Weather also plays a part. The Sox have basically been stuck playing in below 50 degree weather all year. Some games with heavy winds blowing straight in. 20 degrees change in temperature usually brings about 5 more feet of carry on a fly ball. Warmer weather should help the Sox out a bit. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Like I said, the whole thing with Moncada is that people expected a guy capable of putting up 7+win seasons and they got 4-5 wins. 

Moncada is statistically one of the best 3B in all of baseball.

Period.

End of story.

In Jake's 110 PAs through the last couple of seasons, he has a 0.1 bWAR, and a 0.3 fWAR.  Even if you multiply those times 5 to make a full season, a year of Jake Burger equals about a month and a half of Yoan.. even this poor diminished Yoan.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

You realize Burger would take a 3rd baseman spot. None of those other guys would take a 3rd base spot, so what are you trying to prove? That the Yankees need a guy at 3rd but not at 2nd? 

Oswaldo Cabrera or Leury Garcia and you're thinking the Yankees would rather have  Oswaldo than a MLB ready player?

He also seems to forget that one of the runners up for signing Josh Harrison was.... drumroll...

The LA Dodgers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Period.

End of story.

In Jake's 110 PAs through the last couple of seasons, he has a 0.1 bWAR, and a 0.3 fWAR.  Even if you multiply those times 5 to make a full season, a year of Jake Burger equals about a month and a half of Yoan.. even this poor diminished Yoan.

Yeah, he's still a top 10 3B and that position is loaded throughout baseball. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, he's still a top 10 3B and that position is loaded throughout baseball. 

I don't get why the position being loaded takes away from being in the top 10.  Wouldn't that mean being in the top 10 of a position loaded with talent mean you are bringing more value to the table?

Burger is a great human by all media accounts. He's got MLB potential that we all hope he reaches. I hope he eventually is better than Moncada. But he's not there yet. That's not a bad thing, it's not an insult, he just has a way to go. 

Moncada isn't a first ballot HoF guy. That's not an insult. He has a ways to go. We shouldn't be ripping on either one of these guys to make the other one seem better.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

You realize Burger would take a 3rd baseman spot. None of those other guys would take a 3rd base spot, so what are you trying to prove? That the Yankees need a guy at 3rd but not at 2nd? 

Oswaldo Cabrera or Leury Garcia and you're thinking the Yankees would rather have  Oswaldo than a MLB ready player?

Just that Leury, Harrison, Sheets, Mendick, Engel wouldn't even be rostered by the Yankees.  That's 5 players we are rostering that wouldn't even crack the Yankees roster or any of the World Series contenders for that matter. (Yes I realize 2 are there bc of injury but still that is atrocious roster creation)

Donaldson

IKF

DJL

Rizzo

Torres

Gonzalez 

Stanton 

Judge

Hicks

Gallo

2 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

That's Moncada's numbers from last year 🤣

So based on your own logic, why should we be rioting over Burger being sent down to AAA?

Even if you think this somehow validates your "Moncada is a bad 3B" argument (it doesn't), explain to me why you have such a hard-on for Burger?

Edited by Spumoni

12 minutes ago, Spumoni said:

Jake Burger, who prior to being sent down was faltering badly, has per baseball reference a projected total of... 14 HR and 45 RBIs over 162 games.

So essentially the same power numbers without the walks, batting average or especially defense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Polar Bear said:

Just that Leury, Harrison, Sheets, Mendick, Engel wouldn't even be rostered by the Yankees.  That's 5 players we are rostering that wouldn't even crack the Yankees roster or any of the World Series contenders for that matter. (Yes I realize 2 are there bc of injury but still that is atrocious roster creation)

Donaldson

IKF

DJL

Rizzo

Torres

Gonzalez 

Stanton 

Judge

Hicks

Gallo

Look at the Yankee 40 man. You have guys that have zero MLB experience. Of course they would prefer the depth a MLB ready player gives them. 

I appreciate your love of the Burger but your passion has clouded whatever baseball sense you have. 

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Period.

End of story.

You obviously don't know what a prospect is.  

How is Witt doing....crap

How is JRod doing....crap

How is Kelenic doing....crap

Propects need consistent playing time to allow for them to make the necessary adjustments and learn what major league pitchers are doing.  Maybe you aren't a real baseball fan since you have a delusional expectation that a prospect is going to come up and be a superstar from day 1 

Just now, Polar Bear said:

Propects need consistent playing time to allow for them to make the necessary adjustments and learn what major league pitchers are doing.  Maybe you aren't a real baseball fan since you have a delusional expectation that a prospect is going to come up and be a superstar from day 1 

This is a very impressive goal post move.  You have also unwittingly made another great argument for Yoan Moncada as the Sox 3B.

• Like 1

Just now, Texsox said:

Look at the Yankee 40 man. You have guys that have zero MLB experience. Of course they would prefer the depth a MLB ready player gives them. 

I appreciate your love of the Burger but your passion has clouded whatever baseball sense you have. 

I disagree.  Show me a team that is competing that would roster half the guys on our team (hell TB wouldn't and they are cheaper than we are)

Just now, Polar Bear said:

So once Burger is here you'll argue to sit him so the next prospect gets consistent playing time? 

If there was a hole at third then it makes sense to play a prospect. There isn't a hole there anymore. So how Burger gets those consistent ABs against other prospects he'll be facing in the coming years.

1 minute ago, Polar Bear said:

SS2K math class

2 + 2 = 65682829219017636

You literally just made the argument that prospects struggle.  Yoan Moncada is not a prospect.  Jake Burger is.  You got anything more than HR and RBI from one year yet?

2 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I disagree.  Show me a team that is competing that would roster half the guys on our team (hell TB wouldn't and they are cheaper than we are)

Every one would swap their bottom ten guys for mlb ready players. 

6 minutes ago, Texsox said:

For the record, Jake wouldn't be on the Yankees roster either, but sure, let's go with this non sequitor more.

Just now, Texsox said:

So once Burger is here you'll argue to sit him so the next prospect gets consistent playing time? 

If there was a hole at third then it makes sense to play a prospect. There isn't a hole there anymore. So how Burger gets those consistent ABs against other prospects he'll be facing in the coming years.

We have a 3B prospect worthy of playing in the bigs? Maybe in 4 years if Burger were struggling as bad as Moncada has the last 2 seasons and Burger could move to 1st or DH and Kath killed it in AAA the year before then there we would have a comparable situation...

At which point yes, I would say move Burger off of 3B and let the prospect play, especially if our bench consisted of the garbage it does now