Old Sock Drawer, ex Sox player discussion

elrockinMT

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

They regularly reinforce themselves from their minor leagues, and then selectively add to their big league roster. This is absolutely key. It is why they beat us last year. It's why their payroll hasn't had to get out of control to stay competitive - only 2020 did they have a higher (projected) CBT number than the White Sox this year. 

Sox have a core of Eloy, Robert, Moncada, Cease, Kopech, Vaughn, TA locked up for years. They shouldn’t need major reinforcements unless those guys fail to produce. They’ll definitely need to invest in starting pitching again in the near future if they don’t extend Giolito though. And hopefully guys like Colas and Cespedes become solid contributors as guys like Pollock and Abreu move on.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Sox have a core of Eloy, Robert, Moncada, Cease, Kopech, Vaughn, TA locked up for years. They shouldn’t need major reinforcements unless those guys fail to produce. They’ll definitely need to invest in starting pitching again in the near future if they don’t extend Giolito though. And hopefully guys like Colas and Cespedes become solid contributors as guys like Pollock and Abreu move on.

Bro this thread is about the failure to invest in starting pitching

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You seem to have trouble grasping what I mean by "investing" even though you saw what I posted about all the starting pitchers signed during the off season and all my posts about resigning Rodon. Are you intentionally being disingenuous ?

The Giolito, Kopech and Cease moves were start of the rebuild moves. Lynn was cheap when they traded for him for just 1 year and resigned him for 2yrs/$38M. Kopech, as good as he might be, is an infant in terms of starting pitching time. Big time teams with hopes of winning a World Series sign big time pitchers. Cubs did it with Lester and Astros  traded for Verlander. Keuchel was good for  the Covid season and has sucked since then.

Who was this big time pitcher on the Braves World Series team that you speak of?

24 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Who was this big time pitcher on the Braves World Series team that you speak of?

Charlie Morton pitched like an ace for the Braves in 2021, and was signed from Tampa in the offseason. 

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

There are different ways to skin a cat of course but I guess you are being intentionally disingenuous.

The Brave were limping through the season and were 51-54 . Most importantly they didn't have the same guy as GM at the helm of the rebuild as the guy who had ruined the team in the 1st place. Anthopoulos had come to Atlanta four years earlier to clean up the mess left behind by the previous front office, whose illegal signings in Latin America cost the team 13 prospects, wrecked their ability to pursue premium international talent for two years and got the previous GM, John Coppolella, banned from baseball for life.

ANthopoulos made mid season gambles that paid off. Plus before the season started they signed Charlie Morton, Drew Smyly, Josh Tomlin and Marcell Ozuna to a team that had lost in the ALCS. They also had Freeman on a big money contract and had signed Acuna earlier to a $100M contract .

Do those off season moves or those $100M contracts  look anything like anything the Sox have done recently ? The Sox idea of investing is to invest in relief pitching in every situation. How long has LH hitting been an area of need for the Sox ? Who did they get at the  trade deadline last year and the past off season to fill that void ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

There are different ways to skin a cat of course but I guess you are being intentionally disingenuous.

The Brave were limping through the season and were 51-54 . Most importantly they didn't have the same guy as GM at the helm of the rebuild as the guy who had ruined the team in the 1st place. Anthopoulos had come to Atlanta four years earlier to clean up the mess left behind by the previous front office, whose illegal signings in Latin America cost the team 13 prospects, wrecked their ability to pursue premium international talent for two years and got the previous GM, John Coppolella, banned from baseball for life.

ANthopoulos made mid season gambles that paid off. Plus before the season started they signed Charlie Morton, Drew Smyly, Josh Tomlin and Marcell Ozuna to a team that had lost in the ALCS. They also had Freeman on a big money contract and had signed Acuna earlier to a $100M contract .

Do those off season moves or those $100M contracts  look anything like anything the Sox have done recently ? The Sox idea of investing is to invest in relief pitching in every situation. How long has LH hitting been an area of need for the Sox ? Who did they get at the  trade deadline last year and the past off season to fill that void ?

EXACTLY. The Braves did it different than the Dodgers who did it different than the Nationals who did it different than the Red Sox etc.

The White Sox are doing it different too. Can’t we give them a chance to see if it works first considering we’re only a couple years into the contention window?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

EXACTLY. The Braves did it different than the Dodgers who did it different than the Nationals who did it different than the Red Sox etc.

The White Sox are doing it different too. Can’t we give them a chance to see if it works first considering we’re only a couple years into the contention window?

What in this teams history, or even Rick Hahn's history...tells you that we should just give them a chance? 

What track record do they have to owe them that? 

1 hour ago, Tony said:

What in this teams history, or even Rick Hahn's history...tells you that we should just give them a chance? 

What track record do they have to owe them that? 

This is the first time I’ve ever seen the organization truly commit to a rebuild. In the past it was always patching together random parts in an attempt to compete. This was different. I’m willing to let the process play out.

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

This is the first time I’ve ever seen the organization truly commit to a rebuild. In the past it was always patching together random parts in an attempt to compete. This was different. I’m willing to let the process play out.

According to the Sox FO, as of 2021, we were officially out of the rebuild.  We're in the midst of our competitive window.  What "process" are you waiting to "play out"?  The process, at this point, is shit or get off the pot.  

Edited by mmmmmbeeer

16 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

According to the Sox FO, as of 2021, we were officially out of the rebuild.  We're in the midst of our competitive window.  What "process" are you waiting to "play out"?  The process, at this point, is shit or get off the pot.  

Did you expect a World Series in year 1 of the window? The process playing out is seeing if they can win a title before the window closes.

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Core is still intact for next season. Why would it shut after this season?

If it goes south some guys will get traded. 

If I had to guess, those guys would be Giolito, Lynn and Hendriks. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Did you expect a World Series in year 1 of the window? The process playing out is seeing if they can win a title before the window closes.

Their odds of winning it all past October, 2023, are decreasing by the minute.

TLR's presence alone is contributing to these falling odds.

Edited by caulfield12

On 4/21/2022 at 3:54 PM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

We’re out of the rebuild, and they have done the same patch work job they’ve done in the past. There’s no commitment to winning a title here. Dumpster dive back end of the rotation, dumpster dive second base, insisting on filling half the roster with first baseman playing out of position. 

4 minutes ago, T R U said:

We’re out of the rebuild, and they have done the same patch work job they’ve done in the past. There’s no commitment to winning a title here. Dumpster dive back end of the rotation, dumpster dive second base, insisting on filling half the roster with first baseman playing out of position. 

#Facts

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Starting tonight with a 1.04 ERA.

You can cancel the post game show. 

Two strikeouts. Hit 98.5 in the first.

I'm quite frankly sick of hard Carl trolling us with his outstanding pitching.