Old Sock Drawer, ex Sox player discussion

elrockinMT

4 minutes ago, almagest said:

3 2/3 7 ER for Rodon. Just taken out of the game. Doesn't really have the slider today.

Now 8 ER.

Went back and looked through the velocity readings.  Mostly 97 that inning, one 98.2.   Doesn't seem like any kind of injury/fatigue.

All the way up to a 3.49 ERA, which is probably about average for the NL and is going to be misread to say that he hasn't been an excellent pitcher his first 6 starts before hitting a wall and apparently not having his slider to get hitters off his FB and change.

Since he's having a good year, this tweet caused me to look up how well Luis Gonzalez has done against RHP this year. He's currently slashing .377/.420/.541 against them. Obviously that isn't sustainable, but every time I watch part of a Giants game he seems to be doing good things. It sure would be nice having him as a 4th outfielder or possible RF option right about now.

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

Joc hitting 3 HR's in a game is the type of thing that makes you wonder if they're working in the juiced ball again. But man, he would have made a big difference on the White Sox this year.

oh well.

He has a really strong arm too.

Cheaper and younger than Pollock. Could easily have platooned with Engel.

8 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Since he's having a good year, this tweet caused me to look up how well Luis Gonzalez has done against RHP this year. He's currently slashing .377/.420/.541 against them. Obviously that isn't sustainable, but every time I watch part of a Giants game he seems to be doing good things. It sure would be nice having him as a 4th outfielder or possible RF option right about now.

4th outfielder? Wish our org could develop players so he could be our starting RF.

And my god going by that chart this is the worst left handed hitting club in MLB history? Unbelievable 

On 5/25/2022 at 8:17 PM, reiks12 said:

4th outfielder? Wish our org could develop players so he could be our starting RF.

And my god going by that chart this is the worst left handed hitting club in MLB history? Unbelievable 

4. Luis González, OF, Giants (2 first-place votes)
The Giants claimed González off waivers from the White Sox last season and, after releasing him prior to the non-tender deadline, re-signed him to a Minor League contract last December. The 26-year-old opened this season in the Minors, but he quietly has been one of San Francisco’s best hitters since his callup on April 22, posting a .338/.385/.475 slash line while seeing time at all three outfield spots. He’s even made three pitching appearances, two of them in consecutive games

mlb.com

On 5/25/2022 at 1:24 AM, caulfield12 said:

Joc Pederson with three homers all with runners on base...last time someone beat that was Willie Mays with 4 in 1961.

Almost like an ex Sox with how much Sox talk "ink" has been spilled on him.

But he's not. We can make "Caulfield's Thread About Joc Pederson" or you can just post about him in the MLB thread, but like, this thread is explicitly about former Sox players.

Rodon slides to 4-4 with a mid 3’s ERA.  Surprising to lose to Cincy, though.

Kimbrel back to throwing 97, knuckle curve at 87-89.   Gave up two runs in non save situation (6-2 lead), but managed to putting the tying run at the plate for the last two hitters.  Escaped.

2 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

The list of relievers who signed 1 year deals over the off-season that are currently having equivalent or better years than Kelly & Graveman is quite long.

old friends Daniel Hudson & David Robertson are amongst them

Robertson even was at 94 tonight for some of his pitches...he's going to fetch a decent prospect at the TDL in August.