Cleveland at Sox-Game one, 7:10 CT

10 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

The bottom five of that order is pretty brutal.  Hopefully Grandal, Sheets, and Pollock get their act together soon, like now.

We keep saying Moncada and Vaughn back will give you only one hole in the lineup but it's still seemingly 3-4 weak spots per game.

Sheets Pollock Leury McGuire Harrison Burger Engel Mendick.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Seriously, what is the obsession with Reese McGuire? 

Better defensively and we're long on catchers, short on DH's. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Better defensively and we're long on catchers, short on DH's. 

Between Abreu, Grandal, Sheets and Vaughn when he's healthy they aren't short on DH's

28 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Should have Engel in RF, Sheets DH and Grandal start at C.

Definitely today for Engel. IIRC he's had a good career vs Plesac

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

They're really tempting fate having both catchers in the game so much, especially with on at DH. (unless they changed the rule with the universal DH)

43 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Defense. SB were 100% against Kopech last year.

There is more to the game than just hitting.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

If you were wondering...

• Grandal and McGuire have nearly identical framing numbers according to Baseball Savant, but both are good.
  • McGuire has one passed ball and 9 wild pitches in 126 innings.
  • Grandal has two passed balls and 6 wild pitches in 114 innings.
  • Grandal has yet to catch a base stealer. McGuire has caught 3 base stealers.

Would be interesting to see the FIPs of the pitchers they receive, but not sure how to get that stat.

• Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Between Abreu, Grandal, Sheets and Vaughn when he's healthy they aren't short on DH's

You're forgetting Burger Jimenez and the former Z man now hitting cleanup for Blue Jays.  We can throw Yermin back in there for good measure.

And actually, while we're on the DH subject, Pollock is looking increasingly like a typical Sox DH that can neither hit nor field but still gets penciled into a starting spot somewhere.

• Like 1

Just now, KipWellsFan said:

If you were wondering...

• Grandal and McGuire have nearly identical framing numbers according to Baseball Savant, but both are good.
  • McGuire has one passed ball and 9 wild pitches in 126 innings.
  • Grandal has two passed balls and 6 wild pitches in 114 innings.
  • Grandal has yet to catch a base stealer. McGuire has caught 3 base stealers.

Would be interesting to see the FIPs of the pitchers they receive, but not sure how to get that stat.

How many total did he have last year again?

I guess another aspect of this is that managers don't like to pull some guys who are contributing beyond the box score when the team is on a winning streak like this.  At least the guy hustles and he clearly has the  respect of the pitching staff.  And he's SO much better blocking pitches in the dirt and bunting, lol.

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Play the OF where?  The Sox don't need Mendick in the OF unless we're talking about an in-game emergency.

If you have two equally talented players the one with more versatility is usually the choice. 

24 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Abreu is covering 1st. Vaughn isn't healthy. So who do you want on the field Sheets or McGuire? 

37 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Defense. SB were 100% against Kopech last year.

There is more to the game than just hitting.

I agree with this 100%.

However, it's not a good look for Hahn and Co to be paying a PT catcher $18 million this year and next season.   Especially on a team always "limited in financial resources" and also with a surplus of DH / 1B candidates. 

10 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

However, it's not a good look for Hahn and Co to be paying a PT catcher $18 million this year and next season.   Especially on a team always "limited in financial resources" and also with a surplus of DH / 1B candidates. 

Maybe not, but I'd rather them use whatever resources they do have in a manner that gives them the best chance to win.  Definitely not ideal though.

1 hour ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I agree that it should be Engel in there for defense with the current options. But I guess giving Grandal a lot of rest from catching early in the season can be a positive?

9 minutes ago, Spumoni said:

Maybe not, but I'd rather them use whatever resources they do have in a manner that gives them the best chance to win.  Definitely not ideal though.

I still have a hard time believing that McGuire catching this much gives them the best chance to win.  But at this point, I am no longer convinced this is just an early season thing.  Looks like we're gonna get 350+ PA of .150 McGuire. Dude has an OPS+ of 7!! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I agree that it should be Engel in there for defense with the current options. But I guess giving Grandal a lot of rest from catching early in the season can be a positive?

With the weird hamstring tendon surgery he had who knows how it will effect him. Probably good to rest him from catching more.

• Like 1

I wonder if this is preventative care for Grandal's knee or if he is having some swelling etc.  Last year when a ton of guys were injured, I think he gutted it out perhaps more than he should have.