The Lost Art of the Squeeze Bunt

CentralChamps21

In a tie game in the bottom of the 10th with the bases loaded and one out, Moncada and Abreu failed to get the winning run home.

Why was a squeeze bunt not on with Moncada?

A decently executed squeeze bunt is going to score the run easily, even with the infield playing in.

I understand that sacrifice bunting is counterproductive most of the time, but it seems like the squeeze bunt has been thrown out with it.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

In a tie game in the bottom of the 10th with the bases loaded and one out, Moncada and Abreu failed to get the winning run home.

A decently executed squeeze bunt is going to score the run easily, even with the infield playing in.

I understand that sacrifice bunting is counterproductive most of the time, but it seems like the squeeze bunt has been thrown out with it.

The hardest pitch to execute a bunt on is high velocity.  Trying to bunt on 101/102 that moves.  Not going to work especially with guys who normally don't bunt.  I don't care how much you have Abreu practice it, it isn't going to work.  

4 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Moncada hasn't had a sac bunt since 2019. He has 3 his entire career. 

The infield was playing in, a force was at every base. You also have to start Pollock at 3rd so if Moncada misses the bunt on a 100+ MPH pitch, Pollock's most likely out at home. There's a ton of risk in squeezing in that situation. 

Edited by chw42

There are lots of reasons not to,  including all the DP possibilities. But since we don't have a game to watch, let's look at one more possibility.

You send everyone and he misses. Now it's 2 out with runners on 2nd and 3rd. Now a sac fly ends the inning instead of being a game winner. 

I think with no outs I like attempting the bunt. Basically he will have two chances for the game winner. I don't like it as much with one out. 

Benetti's comment in  Game 2 that the bunt was from "some other time"  (i.e., TLR's time)

and questioning it, proved wrong. That add-on run made possible with the bunt was important.

Bunting in the appropriate situation will be  part of baseball long after Benetti is gone.

54 minutes ago, Texsox said:

There are lots of reasons not to,  including all the DP possibilities. But since we don't have a game to watch, let's look at one more possibility.

You send everyone and he misses. Now it's 2 out with runners on 2nd and 3rd. Now a sac fly ends the inning instead of being a game winner. 

I think with no outs I like attempting the bunt. Basically he will have two chances for the game winner. I don't like it as much with one out. 

As a general proponent of squeeze bunts, I can go along with this.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 9:00 AM, Harry Chappas said:

That would require managing decisions and TLR seemed to cease doing that after he decided a soft tossing leftie was the answer to end that game.

I mean....we had a 6 run lead.  Going to Banks wasn't the issue.  Moncada not fielding a routine ground ball was.  As was Liam's inability to put away 2 separate hitters to end hte game. 

Note - I am in no way defending TLR's management style or moves.  Dude sucks in everyway.

Edited by ChiSox59
*dont wanna be called a TLR stan

I wouldn't bunt there with two of the team's better hitters at the plate. They'd have screwed up the squeeze bunt I'm pretty sure. Managers shouldn't be bunting at all any more. The metrics people have deemed it wrong so it's wrong and no reason to have it in the playbook any more.

On 5/10/2022 at 9:13 AM, wegner said:

If Tshirts sold outside the stadium are to be believed....Chicks don't dig the bunt.  I love a walk off bunt myself but it's not sexy enough for most......

I think wins are very sexy.