GT: Guardians at White Sox, Game 2 - 7:10 CT

Quin

1 minute ago, Spumoni said:

You would still have 52 gamethreads of people edging closer towards the cliff.

Take a gander at the gamethreads -- just threads in general -- from the 99-win, wire-to-wire, 11-1 postseason World Series championship season of 2005.  It was gutwrenching.  It was conventional wisdom that the Sox were a moribund offensive team of chokers who "couldn't beat the good teams" to save their lives.  It was not really that fun here then, and it won't ever be.

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, yes.  6 innings pitched and 0 ER is 100% doing your job.  Funny comment, especially coming from you, since you don't think he should throw over 110-120 innings. 

Yeah and guy also had to pitch over 2 errors in those 6 innings. He was excellent.

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Right.  I live and die by this team as much as the next guy, but sometimes you need to take a step back.  Its been a rough 28 games, truthfully.  But things can't get a whole lot worse in terms of offensive and injuries and we're still afloat, even with the Twins playing well above their means.  

Sox are in fine shape.  Plenty to be concerned about, to be sure.  But considering all circumstances, just fine. 

It isn't just 28 games. It was the second half of last year plus these 28. There is a pattern of bad defense, players playing out of position, injuries, bullpen meltdowns, etc. I'm okay with 14 and 14 but not like this. 

16 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Take a gander at the gamethreads -- just threads in general -- from the 99-win, wire-to-wire, 11-1 postseason World Series championship season of 2005.  It was gutwrenching.  It was conventional wisdom that the Sox were a moribund offensive team of chokers who "couldn't beat the good teams" to save their lives.  It was not really that fun here then, and it won't ever be.

The 2005 season was very fun. Gamethreads will always be a roller coaster, but again 2005 was fun. 

28 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, yes.  6 innings pitched and 0 ER is 100% doing your job.  Funny comment, especially coming from you, since you don't think he should throw over 110-120 innings. 

Again,if you read my comment it's not a criticism of him specifically but the idea of 6 innings being "doing his job."

And it's not that I think he shouldn't throw that many innings, it's physiology.

The team will not let him go much more than that based on previous years. They will start skipping him in the rotation. 

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Baseball is suffering... you are right.

Gio owns Clevland, so that's good. I just wonder how they're going to fuck this one up after he throws a gem. 

when I think of this team this is the image in my head: 

You Stay Classy, Ozzie - Dirt Dogs - Boston Red Sox Nation

Does anyone know what's up with Graveman? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

The 2005 season was very fun. Gamethreads will always be a roller coaster, but again 2005 was fun. 

2005 was not always fun on this board, in or out of gamethreads, particularly in mid September. 

Edited by Greg Hibbard

Oops looks like Sox might hit Naylor tonight. That means automatic ejection of the pitcher and a brawl. I would think it's certain Sox throw at him.

This from Yahoo story by Jason Owens: "Again, his excitement was understandable. It's also the kind of thing that can irk baseball's traditionalists, who generally don't take kindly such displays of exuberance. Players have done less than Naylor and found themselves facing a high and tight fastball in retaliation. Because a 98-mph projectile thrown at an opponent's head seems like a reasonable response to some people. White Sox manager Tony La Russa is most certainly a traditionalist. The Guardians and White Sox play again on Tuesday. Stay tuned."

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Oops looks like Sox might hit Naylor tonight. That means automatic ejection of the pitcher and a brawl. I would think it's certain Sox throw at him.

This from Yahoo story by Jason Owens: "Again, his excitement was understandable. It's also the kind of thing that can irk baseball's traditionalists, who generally don't take kindly such displays of exuberance. Players have done less than Naylor and found themselves facing a high and tight fastball in retaliation. Because a 98-mph projectile thrown at an opponent's head seems like a reasonable response to some people. White Sox manager Tony La Russa is most certainly a traditionalist. The Guardians and White Sox play again on Tuesday. Stay tuned."

That is a terrible write up.  Anyone who knows anything at all about baseball knows that the one time Tony loses his shit is when it comes to throwing at players.

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

Again,if you read my comment it's not a criticism of him specifically but the idea of 6 innings being "doing his job."

And it's not that I think he shouldn't throw that many innings, it's physiology.

The team will not let him go much more than that based on previous years. They will start skipping him in the rotation. 

I stand by my stating that Kopech did his job. In the game as it is played today, starters are only infrequently called on to go more than 6 innings and even then it is becoming rare to see starters going 100 pitches. Gio might very well 'do his job' tonight and the Sox still take a loss if the team can't put an entire game together.
<--- A fan of signing both Graveman and Kelly in the off-season. Now if we could find a peak Andrew Miller we'd be well ahead of the game. ReyLo?

6 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

I stand by my stating that Kopech did his job. In the game as it is played today, starters are only infrequently called on to go more than 6 innings and even then it is becoming rare to see starters going 100 pitches. Gio might very well 'do his job' tonight and the Sox still take a loss if the team can't put an entire game together.
<--- A fan of signing both Graveman and Kelly in the off-season. Now if we could find a peak Andrew Miller we'd be well ahead of the game. ReyLo?

I'm not saying he didn't necessarily.  Just questioning the concept.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Dude had a baller game, good for him … losers stfu, sour 🍇 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, shago said:

Dude had a baller game, good for him … losers stfu, sour 🍇 

I don't know about targeting the head, but going hard and well inside is part of the game - right?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

In fact, literally every baseball player in the history of the sport has "done less" than Naylor, since he is the first player in the history of baseball to have multiple 3+ run home runs after the 8th inning and the first player in the history of baseball to have 8+ RBIs in a game where all came after the 8th inning. He could have done shirtless backflips off of the visitors dugout and it'd still be hard to argue he hadn't earned the right, and certainly throwing at him would still be as unlikely as it would be fucking stupid.

I swear half of these writers write these articles to pressure managers into throwing at people so they can write outraged articles the next day about throwing at people. Or, failing that, ask the manager after the game why they didn't throw and write outraged articles about how the manager isn't sticking up for his team. 

• Like 2