5/11 Games

BamaDoc

Man, I can't believe what Sosa is doing and almost feel bad. In 2018 he was pretty much the only young prospect worth feeling good about. He's always been young for his level (and AA right now seems SUPER old compared to pre-COVID), and never failed, but also never really thrived. And so I feel like he only gets more attention when everyone else sucks because he'll be performing well. A little bit of Danny Mendick in him in that way.

But this is a BIG start. A Big jump. His swing looks really long to me, but it is not showing up so far in AA in a bad way, it's all good.

In year 2 in AA, he has cut his K rate down to 15%. That is below his career Krate of 18%. His K-rate is improving and that was the thing that initially stuck out about him.

This doesn't even include the Homer + 2b i'm pretty sure, but what I'm looking at has his ISO at .220. His ISO last year was .130 and that's around his career numbers. His Power is improving.

He has 12 walks this year when he only had 16 all of last year. He was walking at a 3% clip last year, and that is now 9%.

Look at this beautiful progression of pitches seen per at bat:

image.png

(Last row is 2022). 

So in summary, Lenyn Sosa has:

- Improved his power dramatically this year while

- cutting his k-rate dramatically this year while

- improving his walk rate dramatically this year

Seems good!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Man, I can't believe what Sosa is doing and almost feel bad. In 2018 he was pretty much the only young prospect worth feeling good about. He's always been young for his level (and AA right now seems SUPER old compared to pre-COVID), and never failed, but also never really thrived. And so I feel like he only gets more attention when everyone else sucks because he'll be performing well. A little bit of Danny Mendick in him in that way.

But this is a BIG start. A Big jump. His swing looks really long to me, but it is not showing up so far in AA in a bad way, it's all good.

In year 2 in AA, he has cut his K rate down to 15%. That is below his career Krate of 18%. His K-rate is improving and that was the thing that initially stuck out about him.

This doesn't even include the Homer + 2b i'm pretty sure, but what I'm looking at has his ISO at .220. His ISO last year was .130 and that's around his career numbers. His Power is improving.

He has 12 walks this year when he only had 16 all of last year. He was walking at a 3% clip last year, and that is now 9%.

Look at this beautiful progression of pitches seen per at bat:

image.png

(Last row is 2022). 

So in summary, Lenyn Sosa has:

- Improved his power dramatically this year while

- cutting his k-rate dramatically this year while

- improving his walk rate dramatically this year

Seems good!

All this improvement leads me ask a dangerous question: Are the Sox getting better at helping their hitters improve?  The Royals have changed their organizational approach and it has borne fruit.  Maybe the Sox are doing something similar?  Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished.

Future Sox had a good podcast with Sox Hitting Coordinator Andy Barkett recently talking about their philosophy. It’s a good listen. My hope is that the Sox organization is improving their development of prospects. Seems like the future Sox guys were impressed. 

37 minutes ago, Its all Robert said:

Future Sox had a good podcast with Sox Hitting Coordinator Andy Barkett recently talking about their philosophy. It’s a good listen. My hope is that the Sox organization is improving their development of prospects. Seems like the future Sox guys were impressed. 

Thanks. I'll give it a listen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

All this improvement leads me ask a dangerous question: Are the Sox getting better at helping their hitters improve?  The Royals have changed their organizational approach and it has borne fruit.  Maybe the Sox are doing something similar?  Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished.

I definitely think our PD has improved for hitting, but also think a big part of this is getting in younger talent that can improve their ceiling through the system.

And honestly shoutout to Paddy. Ramos had a decent bonus, but Sosa was a blip in the write-up.

Jose Rodriguez just showed up without us knowing about him at all.

These position players from lat am just did not get above A ball from 2012-2018 it felt like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Wow I did not know they had milb game feeds. Awesome

All you gotta do is go to the MILB game on gameday and take the ID at the end of the URL (in this case it's 666249) and paste it to the end of the baseball savant URL. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1