Eloy Supposedly Back in Two Weeks

Heads22

55 minutes ago, brijames1957 said:

I will get crucified for this I'm sure but I would trade Eloy after he is back. He is just basically a DH on a team full of them. Someone has to go. He isn't an outfielder. He can't play 1B can he? You have Sheets who can DH and play 1B. You have Vaughn who can DH, play 1B and play the outfield as least as well as Eloy. 

FWIW, Andrew Vaughn has been absolutely awful in the OF this year. Eloy in his limited time in 2021/2022 has been substantially better than Vaughn out there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

If Eloy gets hurt again within 2-3 weeks after his return, I'd classify him as a bust. He's at that stage in my mind. Sad cause he looked like a monster prospect, can't stay healthy.

Now it's up to him. If he rakes and stays healthy thru the postseason, he'll be rightly considered one of baseball's top prospects still.

29 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

FWIW, Andrew Vaughn has been absolutely awful in the OF this year. Eloy in his limited time in 2021/2022 has been substantially better than Vaughn out there. 

He wasn’t awful in a much larger sample on 2021 tho. AV is also not a risk to 3 of our best assets.

1 hour ago, brijames1957 said:

I will get crucified for this I'm sure but I would trade Eloy after he is back. He is just basically a DH on a team full of them. Someone has to go. He isn't an outfielder. He can't play 1B can he? You have Sheets who can DH and play 1B. You have Vaughn who can DH, play 1B and play the outfield as least as well as Eloy. 

Not crucifying the take, but you simply cannot trade Eloy right now. We’re talking literal pennies on the dollar. 

23 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He wasn’t awful in a much larger sample on 2021 tho. AV is also not a risk to 3 of our best assets.

True, but I also don't believe AV ever had even a 2 week stretch in the OF last year where he performed as bad as he did in April.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, greg775 said:

If Eloy gets hurt again within 2-3 weeks after his return, I'd classify him as a bust. He's at that stage in my mind. Sad cause he looked like a monster prospect, can't stay healthy.

Now it's up to him. If he rakes and stays healthy thru the postseason, he'll be rightly considered one of baseball's top prospects still.

Don't write him off too soon. Everyone said the same thing about Jorge Soler and he enjoyed a bit of a career resurgence.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

He’s def looked bad out there. No doubt. 

That works for me. 

He has been better in the past, but if he is as bad out there as he has been so far this year for the future, he’s basically unplayable out there in anything other than emergency stretches.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Begging the question of why is he still a 'prospect' at this stage of his career?

9 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

Begging the question of why is he still a 'prospect' at this stage of his career?

Suspect.

That said, trading him to a larger market club who can take on that salary risk and write it off...means we somehow likely ending up facing him in the playoffs.  He's basically like David Ortiz in his late Twins' career...well, hopefully minus PEDs and future sicario hit job attempts.

On 5/11/2022 at 11:52 PM, caulfield12 said:

You just basically stole Hahn's trademark line for why they're not making any significant moves at the trade deadline.

Send on along to Scott Merkin for a "puff piece" about how much stronger this team will be in the 2nd half.

They had 20,000 fans against a prime opponent on a perfect May evening. If they limp along at a .500 clip the next several weeks, 2022 attendance and revenue will be lower than anticipated. They will be selling either at the deadline (White Flag 2.0) and / or during the offseason to recoup the revenue shortfalls to cover Hahn's mismanaged 7th highest payroll in MLB. 

29 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They had 20,000 fans against a prime opponent on a perfect May evening. If they limp along at a .500 clip the next several weeks, 2022 attendance and revenue will be lower than anticipated. They will be selling either at the deadline (White Flag 2.0) and / or during the offseason to recoup the revenue shortfalls to cover Hahn's mismanaged 7th highest payroll in MLB. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

It's ludicrous for a team that had World Series or bust aspirations to be where they are right now in terms of ticket sales.  Weather or not, they clearly did the very worst job of any of the contending teams not named the Rays in motivating their fanbase to be excited about the upcoming season.

We were essentially forced to motivate ourselves.

Most importantly, foisting TLR on this team and fanbase...is basically cutting the nose off to spite one's face.  It's the chickens coming home to roost.  Every time Hahn or Stone have an opportunity to smooth things over, they insult us and somehow, almost inexplicably, pour more gasoline on the fire.

Edited by caulfield12

14 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Except hasn't Eloy been an outfielder in professional baseball organizations for 6-7 years now? Vaughn is only doing it for a place on the team until Abreu is done.

14 hours ago, greg775 said:

Greg I think your posts are 95% dogshit but this is in the 5%. I agree whole heartedly

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

It's ludicrous for a team that had World Series or bust aspirations to be where they are right now in terms of ticket sales. 

Maybe this was fake news but I read this week 2/3 of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck. So I can totally understand why attendance is down. I know there are deals to be had, but for the most part, going to a baseball game is now something the average south sider can't afford. We've been through this before, but how many people on the southside can afford tickets to a good seat, parking, and a couple food items? Yes there are deals, but the basic idea of going to a game (most normal people don't hunt for deals; if they want to go to an event they just go) is something most fans do not even consider.  So 20,000 is about right. I'd say 10 to 15000 of those fans have some disposable income to work with. (Not to get political but do 2/3 of americans really live paycheck to paycheck? At least at this stage I've been blessed to avoid being in that group, knock on wood).

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/11/two-thirds-of-americans-live-paycheck-to-paycheck-as-inflation-climbs.html

Sox have historically relief heavily on walk up crowds on weeknights and when the weather is nice, especially in April/May.

Fans can no longer walk up and go to the game without a credit card and a cell phone, since they permanently ended box office in person sales. Fans can’t buy concessions with cash.

Also, fans in the past were able to avoid excessive Ticketmaster fees by buying in person. A pair of $20 tickets ($40) is $59.60 after $14.80 in Ticketmaster fees, and an additional $4.80 in Cook and Chicago taxes charged above the ticket price. (The Cubs, and at this point a majority of teams have the same onerous policies and fees).

Fees (and for many games actual ticket prices) are lower buying from Stubhub. This helps the secondary market, but depresses ticket sales beyond the Season Ticket and Group Sales base.

17 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Sox have historically relief heavily on walk up crowds on weeknights and when the weather is nice, especially in April/May.

Fans can no longer walk up and go to the game without a credit card and a cell phone, since they permanently ended box office in person sales. Fans can’t buy concessions with cash.

Also, fans in the past were able to avoid excessive Ticketmaster fees by buying in person. A pair of $20 tickets ($40) is $59.60 after $14.80 in Ticketmaster fees, and an additional $4.80 in Cook and Chicago taxes charged above the ticket price. (The Cubs, and at this point a majority of teams have the same onerous policies and fees).

Fees (and for many games actual ticket prices) are lower buying from Stubhub. This helps the secondary market, but depresses ticket sales beyond the Season Ticket and Group Sales base.

I had no idea.