GT 5/13: Yankees @ SOX, 7:10 pm CT, NBCSC

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

Exactly what I was thinking. It’s the Kane County Cougars versus the Yankees.

Maybe the septuagenarian needs to understand who he is putting in the lineup… 

He hasn't done it since he's been here, why would he start now.

2 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

We are not contenders right now.

BUT its 162

We look like a minor league team compared to Yankees.

I never want to see another line up with Josh Harrison and leury Garcia and butch Mcguire....BUT it was be forced down my throat 

This series (so far) is showing how this team is not nearly as good as many thought.  I don’t think they’ll be much better once everyone gets back.  No spark, no life, no enthusiasm.

• Like 1

Just now, The Mighty Mite said:

He hasn't done it since he's been here, why would he start now.

Good point. Because that’s what a good manager does. But it’s okay, he’s a hall of fame manager. The media can’t question him because he’s a hall of fame manager.

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They weren't good enough last year either, and with the roster inflexibility/lack of surplus value on contracts, it's hard to see how they ever will get there. 

I hate to break it to you, Rodon wouldn't help this team much either. Starting pitching has been the team's biggest strength. The offense and bullpen are problems. I find it funny how that works given the discourse in the offseason. 

You forgot defense to add health, defense, manager/managing and lack of fundamentals/execution to the problems list...

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

This series (so far) is showing how this team is not nearly as good as many thought.  I don’t think they’ll be much better once everyone gets back.  No spark, no life, no enthusiasm.

They play like they are tired and confused . it's strange.

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

Just wait 'til Vaughn and Eloy are back.  Then we'll have all four of our DH's in the lineup at the same time!  LOL!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm gonna say that they were never going to spend $22M on Rodon with Keuchel taking up 18M in payroll. Keuchel was going to start for 2-3 months. 

It's the opposite of what a good team would do. 

The 22M is currently being spent on Big Energy, Cueto, VV, and Joe Kelly. What are the chances that quartet of players matches the WAR Rodon is at right now? Almost non existent, I would think.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

The 22M is currently being spent on Big Energy, Cueto, VV, and Joe Kelly. What are the chances that quartet of players matches the WAR Rodon is at right now? Almost non existent, I would think.

Penny wise and dollar foolish. 

This is what I meant about lighting money on fire around the margins rather than ponying up for difference makers. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Just wait 'til Vaughn and Eloy are back.  Then we'll have all four of our DH's in the lineup at the same time!  LOL!

With DH Burger at second...

(We also could have used Sonny Gray instead of letting him go to the Twins.)

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

This team has way bigger issues than not having Rodon on the roster.  As much as we all hated the off-season it’s not like they were realistically signing any middle of the order studs, not many were FAs anyway.  You’ve got a roster full of bum slayers that can’t play D right now.  Your 4 highest paid players are all god awful or hurt right now.  This team isn’t competing for a WS until Jose, Dallas and Yaz are gone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Penny wise and dollar foolish. 

This is what I meant about lighting money on fire around the margins rather than ponying up for difference makers. 

Yeah, absolutely. I think everyone on here would agree that relievers and utility players is the least efficient way to spend your money.

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Not bringing back Rodon is fine if they actually spent that money wisely. They didn't. 

Kopech has been nearly as good as Rodon. 

Blame the Keuchel contract. That's where Rodon's money went. 

A rotation of Gio, Kopech, Rodon , Cease and Lynn as your top 5 starters looks pretty damn good to me. Maybe you still invest in VV as depth on minor league deal and do whatever you have to do with Keuchel. That kind of rotation will get you pretty damn far if any other money was spent on Eduardo Escobar and another LHH for RF if you don't pick up Kimbrel's option or give so much to an injured reliever and leave other relievers to sign last .

• Like 1