GT 5/13: Yankees @ SOX, 7:10 pm CT, NBCSC

7 minutes ago, RG23SoxFan said:

I guess anything can happen but getting our asses kicked by the Yankees doesn't convince me we will lose 4 of 5 or all 5 to KC.  

They'll probably go 3-2 or 2-3

These games aren't even competitive and it's hard to take the Sox seriously for anything. 

Abreu, Grandal and Pollock falling off a cliff this year is another chapter in "of course they did" of White Sox fuckery. 

If the Sox didn't have bad luck, they wouldn't have any luck at all. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So 25 runs in 18 innings with 8 home runs and that’s with Keuchel coming up?

The Yankees might be sharpening their knives in anticipation of Keuchel, but may be looking forward to getting a test from Kopech's 4-seam. This series is practice for them

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They'll probably go 3-2 or 2-3

These games aren't even competitive and it's hard to take the Sox seriously for anything

That sounds about right.  To me all the White Sox can focus on now is getting everyone back and try to win a weak division.  Do I think they are a serious contender? Absolutely not, but if I am going to be a fan I am going to hope to get in the playoffs and see what happens. 

1 minute ago, RG23SoxFan said:

That sounds about right.  To me all the White Sox can focus on now is getting everyone back and try to win a weak division.  Do I think they are a serious contender? Absolutely not, but if I am going to be a fan I am going to hope to get in the playoffs and see what happens. 

If they're not going to be a contender for the world series I'd rather they just miss altogether. Whatever. 

Maybe missing the playoffs with a 194M payroll would be enough to piss Jerry off and fire Hahn/Williams

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

If they're not going to be a contender for the world series I'd rather they just miss altogether. Whatever. 

Maybe missing the playoffs with a 194M payroll would be enough to piss Jerry off and fire Hahn/Williams

I can't agree or understand the logic to miss altogether.  Jerry isn't firing anyone no matter the payroll.  I have seen a lot of weird things happen in October, first step is to get there.  Going to hope they get everyone back and start playing better.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RG23SoxFan said:

I can't agree or understand the logic to miss altogether.  Jerry isn't firing anyone no matter the payroll.  I have seen a lot of weird things happen in October, first step is to get there.  Going to hope they get everyone back and start playing better.

The Sox do not suck in the way the Pirates or Reds suck. They are not bad at baseball. They suck in the way the Twins suck.  They're good, but nowhere near good enough. It's frustrating as fuck. I don't deny that this team has talent, but they're not talented enough to win anything but maybe the ALC. 

Maybe a playoff miss will be the catalyst for the FO realizing what needs to be done and they can have an offseason next winter like they did from 2004-05. If anything, next year should be the last try with this group. If they can't get it done, they need to tear it down and start over again.  

If Minnesota beats the shit out of Cleveland this weekend, idk what to think, because as of right now I think Cleveland has more staying power than Minnesota. I do think that the Sox do not have anyone as good as Byron Buxton though. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The Sox do not suck in the way the Pirates or Reds suck. They are not bad at baseball. They suck in the way the Twins suck.  They're good, but nowhere near good enough. It's frustrating as fuck. I don't deny that this team has talent, but they're not talented enough to win anything but maybe the ALC. 

Maybe a playoff miss will be the catalyst for the FO realizing what needs to be done and they can have an offseason next winter like they did from 2004-05. If anything, next year should be the last try with this group. If they can't get it done, they need to tear it down and start over again.  

If Minnesota beats the shit out of Cleveland this weekend, idk what to think, because as of right now I think Cleveland has more staying power than Minnesota. I do think that the Sox do not have anyone as good as Byron Buxton though. 

If you were trying to get max value out of Gio, this year is the time.

There's the conundrum.  Only Robert, Vaughn, our Top 3 starters and maybe Moncada could get you something...but Yoan needs to prove he can stay healthy and produce.

It's certainly not like we can trade guys like Hendriks or Grandal or Pollock for anything but some salary relief.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If you were trying to get max value out of Gio, this year is the time.

There's the conundrum.  Only Robert, Vaughn, our Top 3 starters and maybe Moncada could get you something...but Yoan needs to prove he can stay healthy and produce.

It's certainly not like we can trade guys like Hendriks or Grandal or Pollock for anything but some salary relief.

Giolito really is a conundrum. At this point, I'd hang on until at least the offseason. I know they'll get less than they would in August but I can't see them trading him then unless Minnesota runs away and hides with the division like the Sox did last year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

The Sox have to win the Central to make the playoffs. There isn't any WC coming out of the Central. 

They are going to have to make some changes soon as far as Abreau and the log jam of DH's on the team as well as upgrading 2B somehow. 

If Lynn comes back strong and the rest of the starters stay healthy they should at least be in the hunt to win the division.

At this point that is all you can hope for. Just make the playoffs and see what happens. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't disagree with most of what your saying, but I don't want to miss the playoffs to test the FO in the offseason.  All it would probably mean is disappointment of missing the playoffs and further disappointment watching the FO not really doing anything to address it in the offseason.  As you have mentioned they are not serious contenders and that is because the organization as a whole isn't serious about contending.  That Harrison and Pollock were the answers to 2B and RF respectively and they let Rodon walk away tells me they aren't serious about winning.  When healthy(which pretty much never happens) I still think they are the best in this bad division.  Reinsdorf led organizations do just enough to keep fans interested, nothing more. 

29 minutes ago, tray said:

No salary cap = noncompetitive baseball.

The Yankees have how many WS titles these last twenty years?  The Dodgers?

One each.  And LA's was in the strange abbreviated 60 game Covid season.

There does need to be a salary floor though.

Edited by caulfield12

The White Sox did just fine against the Yankees this past August.

Seems that both teams did opposing 180s this offseason, though.

The White Sox had a much lower payroll than NY at that time.  Now with a Top 6-7 payroll we're totally non competitive against the Yankees or Astros.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

If we miss the playoffs they will fire the hitting coach, the bullpen coach and maybe the assistant trainer. That's it! TLR is going nowhere. We have shown NO ability to play 21st century baseball (e.g. focus on OPS, launch angle, shifting, etc.). We have a team of DH's and "high floor, low ceiling draft picks designed to "win now". They won't blow anything up and there's no help on the way anytime soon from the lowest rated farm system in baseball. This team as constituted either figures it out or we're stuck in the mud because Jerry isn't buying us out of our troubles. 

P.S. The only way Hahn loses his job is if there is any truth to the wrongful termination lawsuit in which he's named.  It won't be for performance. 

1 minute ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

If we miss the playoffs they will fire the hitting coach, the bullpen coach and maybe the assistant trainer. That's it! TLR is going nowhere. We have shown NO ability to play 21st century baseball (e.g. focus on OPS, launch angle, shifting, etc.). We have a team of DH's and "high floor, low ceiling draft picks designed to "win now". They won't blow anything up and there's no help on the way anytime soon from the lowest rated farm system in baseball. This team as constituted either figures it out or we're stuck in the mud because Jerry isn't buying us out of our troubles. 

P.S. The only way Hahn loses his job is if there is any truth to the wrongful termination lawsuit in which he's named.  It won't be for performance. 

Jerry will stand by Hahn regardless of the outcome / settlement, same as he stands by other long time staff/cronies including La Russa. The one exception would be if Hahn was caught lying or withholding pertinent details from Jerry, which I doubt has happened. Hahn would not jeopardize current/future job prospects. 

Brian Ball was fired on October 26, after Tony was hired. Would be interesting to know whether Tony played a role in his termination. Tony's animal shelter is facing an age and racial discrimination case filed last Spring. Tony's wife and daughter resigned from the Board of "Tony La Russa's Animal Rescue Foundation" in protest of the two persons named in the lawsuit, the ED and Board President, remaining in their roles after their internal "investigation". Paging Rocky Wirtz. 

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/article/Why-Tony-La-Russa-is-staying-with-Animal-Rescue-16122035.php