GT 5/13: Yankees @ SOX, 7:10 pm CT, NBCSC

1 hour ago, RG23SoxFan said:

I don't disagree with most of what your saying, but I don't want to miss the playoffs to test the FO in the offseason.  All it would probably mean is disappointment of missing the playoffs and further disappointment watching the FO not really doing anything to address it in the offseason.  As you have mentioned they are not serious contenders and that is because the organization as a whole isn't serious about contending.  That Harrison and Pollock were the answers to 2B and RF respectively and they let Rodon walk away tells me they aren't serious about winning.  When healthy(which pretty much never happens) I still think they are the best in this bad division.  Reinsdorf led organizations do just enough to keep fans interested, nothing more. 

I think it’s more a combination of hubris and incompetence in the FO than not being serious about winning.  Trading for Kimbrel last season when we needed a RF instead of a closer was sheer incompetence.  Atlanta traded for 3 outfielders and won the World Series.  We keep bringing in relievers and leave the big hole in everyday position players at 2B and RF.  Where we need the rebuild is with the FO and the field manager TLR.

First of all, the FO fucked up the off-season. But with this sort of start,  I think we all know that if it was any other manager other than the one hired directly by  the owner, the only conversation in town would be …when is the manager getting fired? Hopefully the FO will begin looking for a fall guy for their own failure. Not that TLR doesn’t suck in his own right.

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The White Sox did just fine against the Yankees this past August.

Seems that both teams did opposing 180s this offseason, though.

The White Sox had a much lower payroll than NY at that time.  Now with a Top 6-7 payroll we're totally non competitive against the Yankees or Astros.

No they didn't

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The White Sox did just fine against the Yankees this past August.

Seems that both teams did opposing 180s this offseason, though.

The White Sox had a much lower payroll than NY at that time.  Now with a Top 6-7 payroll we're totally non competitive against the Yankees or Astros.

The Sox have won 1 of their last 10 games against the Yankees going back to 2019 (including going 1-5 in 2021). There's no point from last year where they did fine against them.

Edited by Sarava

47 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

No they didn't

They won the most memorable game of the entire regular season.

Much better than 1 of 4 or getting swept four in a row.

White Sox scored 17 runs, the Yankees 20.   Two 2 run losses is nothing to be embarrassed about.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

White Sox scored 17 runs, the Yankees 20.   Two 2 run losses is nothing to be embarrassed about.

You're putting a Rick Hahn-esque type of spin on this. For the last 4 seasons, the Sox are the Yankees bitches. There's a serious matchup problem here.

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They won the most memorable game of the regular season on a walk off HR because the Yankees bent them over late

They lost 2/3 in August. They got swept in May

4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

They won the most memorable game of the regular season on a walk off HR because the Yankees bent them over late

They lost 2/3 in August. They got swept in May

Once again, I was only talking about their "home" series last August, compared to this year's ongoing one.

25-11 outscored is quite the dramatic difference between Field of Dreams iconic walk off and two 2 run losses any way you slice it.

The two teams were considered peers then. This is master and servant.  We don't even belong on the same field with them now.

The Sox are 4 games over the .500 mark since last years All Star break plus 1-3 in the playoffs. Unfortunately it looks like that's what we have on our hands, basically a .500 team with some serious flaws. The handwriting was on the wall and during the off season the FO refused to address the needs of the team, shame on them.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

20 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Once again, I was only talking about their "home" series last August, compared to this year's ongoing one.

25-11 outscored is quite the dramatic difference between Field of Dreams iconic walk off and two 2 run losses any way you slice it.

The two teams were considered peers then. This is master and servant.  We don't even belong on the same field with them now.

They didn't "do just fine" against the Yankees last August any way you slice it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

They didn't "do just fine" against the Yankees last August any way you slice it

Considering the fact they're getting their asses kicked all over the stadium this year...you can describe it however you want to your heart's content.

Nobody thought we didn't belong on the field, that's for sure...most asserted the Sox were the better team at that point, still basking in the glow of the Kimbrel trade and the fast glide to the ALCS.