It's time to put Jose out to pasture

ron883

.616 OPS, 87 wRC+, sub .300 OBP. Jose has been a decrepit pile of garbage this season. It's no surprise since he is pretty darn old. 

How long are we going to play him EVERY single game while batting him 3rd or 4th? When Vaughn returns, he should absolutely bat ahead of Jose. Tony's veteran privilege is a fucking joke. I imagine Jose could suck all year and Tony would play him EVERY game at the 3rd or 4th spot in the lineup. An even worse concern is if Jerry signs him for a couple more years because "loyalty", just like he did with Konerko.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1
  • TLR 1

3 minutes ago, ron883 said:

.616 OPS, 87 wRC+, sub .300 OBP. Jose has been a decrepit pile of garbage this season. It's no surprise since he is pretty darn old. 

How long are we going to play him EVERY single game while batting him 3rd or 4th? When Vaughn returns, he should absolutely bat ahead of Jose. Tony's veteran privilege is a fucking joke. I imagine Jose could suck all year and Tony would play him EVERY game at the 3rd or 4th spot in the lineup. An even worse concern is if Jerry signs him for a couple more years because "loyalty", just like he did with Konerko.

Robert should be hitting 3rd before Abreu now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ron883 said:

2 HRs tonight minimum. Thanks Ronny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Haha I just made a similar post in the Ground Ball thread. 

9 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Robert and Vaughn should be hitting in front of Abreu! This is not time for blind loyalty. He has been a great and loyal white Sox star for many years, giving us a ton of enjoyment and huge results. However it's time to move on and get prospects at trade deadline. We have depth at first base and will be fine. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ron883 said:

If you keep making the same thread and point every year, it's bound to be accurate eventually.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Robert and Vaughn should be hitting in front of Abreu! This is not time for blind loyalty. He has been a great and loyal white Sox star for many years, giving us a ton of enjoyment and huge results. However it's time to move on and get prospects at trade deadline. We have depth at first base and will be fine. 

Not sure if this part is implying that we trade him, but we're definitely not getting any prospects if we do. Aging RH 1B have zero value in today's game; his value to this club (leadership, even just a bench coach) is way more than it is to any other team. 

Best case scenario is he takes a "wise old vet" approach and cedes some ABs while taking more time on the bench.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

This would be my lineup when health until (if) Abreu turns it around

Anderson (R)

Robert (R)

Moncada (S)

Vaughn (R)

Abreu (R)

Eloy(R)

Grandal (S)

Pollack (R)

Leury (S)

That's about the best balance you can have with our lack of lefties.

Of course it will never happen but TA should not be leading off vs RHP.

Is Jose just unlucky? greg eyetest time. Don't know his BABIP but when I watch, he usually hits the ball, just right at somebody. Albeit most are routine grounders or pop ups. I do think he could use a good hitting coach about now. I do not think he's done. I think he has a bad approach for whatever reason.

As far as Ron's initial post ... just wondering if there has ever been a Sox player you stuck with as a fan all the way through his career? Jose seems like a bad guy to bury considering he's had a fine career. You have the right to despise him but I just wondered if there's every been a Sox player you stuck with all the way through, good times to bad. I worship Jose in a non religious sense so to speak and that's that.

Edited by greg775

7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Is Jose just unlucky? greg eyetest time. Don't know his BABIP but when I watch, he usually hits the ball, just right at somebody. Albeit most are routine grounders or pop ups. I do think he could use a good hitting coach about now. I do not think he's done. I think he has a bad approach for whatever reason.

As far as Ron's initial post ... just wondering if there has ever been a Sox player you stuck with as a fan all the way through his career? Jose seems like a bad guy to bury considering he's had a fine career. You have the right to despise him but I just wondered if there's every been a Sox player you stuck with all the way through, good times to bad. I worship Jose in a non religious sense so to speak and that's that.

The problem with Jose (and other slow guys) is that the infield can play deeper, which allows them to get to more ground balls, and still throw him out. With someone like Robert or Engel, they have to play in a bit more, which allows a few more grounders to get through.

Slower guys really need to focus on hitting the ball in the air.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

I really really needed this thread.  Now I can finally feel good about my comment - this will be the last week the Sox are around .500 - after this week - I expect them to go on a sustained tear/run! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I would love to see them mix it up a bit. If Grandal were hitting, I’d like to see him hitting 3rd. Get a couple guys up there in the first that can take pitches.

Moncada should lead off vs RHP. There's not even a decent argument for anybody else other than "TA always leads off"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Thank you Ron. The slump should be ending now very soon.

• Like 1

I believe I heard on the radio he's still near the top of the league in barrells this season. If that is the case, it sounds like he's been a bit unlucky. Not sure where to find that stat, but I'm sure someone else can confirm. 

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

This would be my lineup when health until (if) Abreu turns it around

Anderson (R)

Robert (R)

Moncada (S)

Vaughn (R)

Abreu (R)

Eloy(R)

Grandal (S)

Pollack (R)

Leury (S)

That's about the best balance you can have with our lack of lefties.

Pollock Pollock Pollock