It's time to put Jose out to pasture

ron883

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Do you guys think that they bring back Abreu next year? 

Yes.   I go back and forth on whether they should; jose leaving certainly would solve some roster issues.  But he's also still a really good bat, and we aren't really in the position to giving those away.  I just hope they go year by year, and  certainly don't overpay like last time, even though his 2020 MVP probably make the deal worth it in the end.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yes.   I go back and forth on whether they should; jose leaving certainly would solve some roster issues.  But he's also still a really good bat, and we aren't really in the position to giving those away.  I just hope they go year by year, and  certainly don't overpay like last time, even though his 2020 MVP probably make the deal worth it in the end.  

If they bring back Abreu, they almost have to trade Eloy. Idk what kind of value he has. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Sure, but they need to keep Vaughn the fuck out of RF. LF/1B/DH only for Vaughn. 

Honestly, if he could stay on the field I'd prefer that Eloy play LF over Vaughn. 

Eloy's days in LF should be mostly over.  AV as a whole has been fine in out the OF in the overall sample.  The  first couple weeks this year were rough but he's been fine since.  He has a middle of the pack defensive LF last year - people tend to forgot that most LF aren't good defenders.  He is fine out there; you can always move him in to 1B a couple years.  

1 hour ago, HOFHurt35 said:

So Abreu is on pace to another 25+ HR and 90 RBI season. 

No one else on this glorified core will come even close to that.   

Burger , Robert and Vaughn could get close to that.

Abreu 9, HR just passed Burger yesterday for the team HR lead and only has 5 more RBI despite 106 more PA. Of course Burger was never consider part of the core but hey we'll take a late addition.

Vaughn, 6 HR, would have to pick up his HR pace a bit, but is tied with Abreu in the team RBI lead and 77 less PA.

Robert, 6 HR, 22 RBI would also have to pick up the pace in both categories and is 50 PA behind Abreu.

The Sox need some kind of combination of the old and new Robert. The new Robert hits for a high BA , K's less . The old Robert slugged better, I miss that guy who could pull the ball 490 ft.  Most blame the new stance . He does seem to have much weaker contact with it. It's a shame his OPS is only .715 and slugging in last year Moncada territory at .400.

Hell, the decline of Robert  and Moncada is reason alone to fire Menechino. Throw in the terribly high GB rate for Eloy when he actually plays and that's a lot of firepower from core pieces MIA.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, soxfan3530 said:

This offense struggles so much with consistency and we want to trade the one guy who is consistent every year...

I assume most were willing to trade him in July if and when the playoff hopes fell below a reasonable rate (10%?).

I assume most are willing not to resign him because at the time of the post you have about 5 players (Abreu, Vaughn, Eloy, Grandal, Sheets, maybe even Burger?) in the system for two spots 1B/DH, and only one of them was actually out of contract.  

24 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If they bring back Abreu, they almost have to trade Eloy. Idk what kind of value he has. 

Eloy?  Right now he has none.  He is worth significantly less than his existing contract.  You'd be better off selling high on another player and gambling on Eloy.  

1 minute ago, GREEDY said:

I assume most were willing to trade him in July if and when the playoff hopes fell below a reasonable rate (10%?).

I assume most are willing not to resign him because at the time of the post you have about 5 players (Abreu, Vaughn, Eloy, Grandal, Sheets, maybe even Burger?) in the system for two spots 1B/DH, and only one of them was actually out of contract.  

Eloy?  Right now he has none.  He is worth significantly less than his existing contract.  You'd be better off selling high on another player and gambling on Eloy.  

Sell high on who though?  Vaughn?  Graveman or Hendriks?  Giolito?  Abreu?  Burger?

17 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Someone here posted about how a lot of guys seem too comfortable on this team and they should deal someone next offseason to sort of send a message to everyone else (@bmags maybe?). I feel like dealing Eloy for nothing would accomplish that, not that I support it as there is still room for everyone.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

51 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Do you guys think that they bring back Abreu next year? 

I think the bigger question is does Jose want to do another year. Before this season he was sounding a bit like this could be his last season if his love of the game wasn't there, but maybe his good recent form will change his mind.

11 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Someone here posted about how a lot of guys seem too comfortable on this team and they should deal someone next offseason to sort of send a message to everyone else (@bmags maybe?). I feel like dealing Eloy for nothing would accomplish that, not that I support it as there is still room for everyone.

I want to bench Yoan for Burger when Eloy gets back.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’m good with it for now. Honestly if you’re not gonna bat Moncada like 7/8th consistently and you think he’s hurt, IL him.

At some point you gotta stop caring about what a guy was ranked as a prospect and actually play the guys are playing well.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Jose has Rick Hahn by the balls. He gets to play when he wants, at the position he wants, on the team he wants.

Like others have said he has earned the right to have a say in the decision process. 

Some people have ripped organizations for not having loyalty and treating like a business. This is an instance were loyalty should be observed.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

It may come to that. They need to find some way to get him going. I don't know if it's playing more,  taking time off, an IL stint. Something.