Glad to see Dallas has pride

greg775

Dallas upset he got pulled after five with a pitch count at 86. Glad to see veteran pitchers like me sick of not letting pitchers go deep. Like Dallas said he's a "pitcher." By gosh let them pitch, MLB. Kudos to Dallas K for a nice outing.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/white-sox-dallas-keuchel-early-hook-little-disappointed?cid=sm_npd_rsn_chi_twt_mn

• Thanks 1

Keuchel had an ERA of almost 9 third time through the order last season. He turned the average hitter against him into Aaron Judge. He's lucky to play for one of the few managers in baseball that would ever let him see the lead-off hitter for a 3rd time.

edit - I probably should have mentioned that had Keuchel been managed like he should have been during the 2nd half of last season, the Sox almost certainly would have had the 2 seed thus giving them HFA vs Houston. Stuff like that on the margins really matters, and it's exactly what Tony has been getting wrong (mostly) for 2 years.

Edited by maxjusttyped
  • Like 11

He is correct about the bullpen workload. As James Fegan reported yesterday:

https://theathletic.com/3311264/2022/05/14/the-white-sox-are-playing-too-many-hard-games-to-avoid-hard-bullpen-decisions/

While La Russa touted before Thursday’s game that the Wednesday postponement provided him with a full bullpen, the Sox entered Friday with Liam Hendriks, Kendall Graveman, Matt Foster and José Ruiz all on pace for more than 75 appearances on the season. In other words, through 30 games, the Sox had four relievers on pace to record what would have been the fifth-most appearances in baseball last season. And really, only a knee strain and injured list stint knocked Aaron Bummer off the same pace.

A good portion of the responsibility rests on the sputtering hitters.

The Sox' 10 of 16 2022 wins have been close games (1-3 runs) with only 1 "blow out" 5+ run win. The Sox won 32 blowout games (5 + run wins) last season.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

https://theathletic.com/3311264/2022/05/14/the-white-sox-are-playing-too-many-hard-games-to-avoid-hard-bullpen-decisions/

The Sox' 10 of 16 2022 wins have been close games (1-3 runs) with only 1 "blow out" 5+ run win. The Sox won 32 blowout games (5 + run wins) last season.

13 of the 16 wins have been close games (1-3 runs). 

• Like 1

Dallas did his job yesterday.  He struggled in his last inning and after this game has a season line of a 5.54 ERA and a WHIP of 1.96.  Also third time through the order woes as noted above.  He might have gone back out if he had a nice 1,2,3 inning but he didn't.  I am glad he is a competitor but whining to the media doesn't need to happen.  Hopefully, he expressed his feelings to his manager and pitching coach.  But frankly, the statistics don't care about his feelings.  

9 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

This is also true and will become an even bigger problem when the 14 man pitching staff is reduced to 13. When people scream in the game threads about using other guys in situations that they don't agree with the amount of high leverage situations cannot only be picked up by the best guys.

While we also scream about the position playing resting too much, it's crucial with the reduction in the staff coming that the Sox score more runs because the if close games continue we are going to see more of the bottom relievers being used in situation we don't like.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Dude is a little too feisty for a guy that just became a MLB pitcher again two weeks ago

S'why we all love him.  Seriously, he did 5 shoutout innings with his junk stuff, which should make all of us happy.  The three walks are only an indication that he tries and needs to paint the corners   They worry me less than Hendriks's close to zero walks which tell me that he throws everything down the middle.  I thought that would get him beat last night and it almost did, esp. since he was near 100% of his flat fastball.

4 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

About 20% through the season and he still has 134 more to go.

6 starts.  Theoretically 24-26 left.  Pace right now is 24, fwiw.

If he had pitched 4 more innings so far and also was to take the full 32 starts, he’d be right there on the doorstep. 

On 5/15/2022 at 11:00 AM, Stinky Stanky said:

S'why we all love him.  Seriously, he did 5 shoutout innings with his junk stuff, which should make all of us happy.  The three walks are only an indication that he tries and needs to paint the corners   They worry me less than Hendriks's close to zero walks which tell me that he throws everything down the middle.  I thought that would get him beat last night and it almost did, esp. since he was near 100% of his flat fastball.

No. His shutout innings only give him the opportunity to pitch again on the MLB level. Which should never happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

So are we sticking to the narrative Sox have nowhere to go but Kuechel? I have a suggestion where he can go though?

Nowhere to go from within the organisation because of the lack of depth and it is unlikely they will trade for one.

Pretty sad that the sox system is so thin that they don't have a guy who can give them 5 innings with a 4.5 era. 

I wonder if it would make sense to use an opener for dallas as long as you need him. 

Have an opener go the first 5-6 batters so dallas starts with the bottom of the lineup and only goes through the heart of the order like once or twice at best.