Glad to see Dallas has pride

greg775

I try to be positive and supportive of management but this stuff drives me crazy.  MLB announced starting June 21st, 2021 that the umpires would be checking pitchers for doctoring baseball substances.   DK had pitched 26 games with the White Sox before June 21, 2021 and had an ERA of 3.01 (not just great in 2020...his ERA on June 15th 2021, the start before the check, was 3.78).  The 24 starts since then (I thew out the suspended game on June 26 2021 as it was half in and half out) his ERA is 7.18.   Come on...is this not obvious to everyone?  How can the White Sox not see this??   It's not like it's a small sample size or explained by a slump or injury.  DK is a Cy Young candidate when he's cheating and he's the worst pitcher in baseball when he's not and it's very frustrating to watch the White Sox come to any other conclusion.  Yes he shut out the Yankees for 15 outs a few weeks ago (his ERA is 7.54 without that start) but it's not like he was even good then...7 baserunners in 5 innings. Honestly...resign Rodon, bullpen game, minor leaguer spot starts, VV...almost any other scenario comes up better than DK and yet every fifth game here he comes again.  It drags me over to the "organizational stupidity" majority side here on Soxtalk.  

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I try to be positive and supportive of management but this stuff drives me crazy.  MLB announced starting June 21st, 2021 that the umpires would be checking pitchers for doctoring baseball substances.   DK had pitched 26 games with the White Sox before June 21, 2021 and had an ERA of 3.01 (not just great in 2020...his ERA on June 15th 2021, the start before the check, was 3.78).  The 24 starts since then (I thew out the suspended game on June 26 2021 as it was half in and half out) his ERA is 7.18.   Come on...is this not obvious to everyone?  How can the White Sox not see this??   It's not like it's a small sample size or explained by a slump or injury.  DK is a Cy Young candidate when he's cheating and he's the worst pitcher in baseball when he's not and it's very frustrating to watch the White Sox come to any other conclusion.  Yes he shut out the Yankees for 15 outs a few weeks ago (his ERA is 7.54 without that start) but it's not like he was even good then...7 baserunners in 5 innings. Honestly...resign Rodon, bullpen game, minor leaguer spot starts, VV...almost any other scenario comes up better than DK and yet every fifth game here he comes again.  It drags me over to the "organizational stupidity" majority side here on Soxtalk.  

They hired Duncan's son as head of analytics, a position he knew nothing about until the hiring. A buddy hire to quell the anger of the fanbase after seeing what the Indians, Rays, and less fortunate teams have been doing in their system. Hes working hard at it now, but has admitted he cant talk to TLR about anything analytics. Currently hes being tutored in statistics by a professor. Sounds silly doesnt it?

Thats our organization. The FO is probably unaware of what you just wrote, and as long as they continue to fill Jerrys and their own pockets with money they dont care. 

2 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

They hired Duncan's son as head of analytics, a position he knew nothing about until the hiring. A buddy hire to quell the anger of the fanbase after seeing what the Indians, Rays, and less fortunate teams have been doing in their system. Hes working hard at it now, but has admitted he cant talk to TLR about anything analytics. Currently hes being tutored in statistics by a professor. Sounds silly doesnt it?

Thats our organization. The FO is probably unaware of what you just wrote, and as long as they continue to fill Jerrys and their own pockets with money they dont care. 

But this isn't even analytics. Everyone knew that some pitchers would be effected.   Everyone.  If you asked which Sox pitcher would likely be damaged by this...someone should have suggested...how about that guy that won his Cy Young while pitching with the Astro-cheaters?  The guy with marginal stuff but with unbelievable command of it.  Katz should have said...we need to watch DK closely.  Then immediately he was terrible and he for months he was terrible...they KNEW this...they didn't pitch him in the playoffs.  This spring he was terrible.  The first few starts he was terrible.  It's about to be June and he's still marching out there every fifth start.  So stupid.   

1 hour ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I don't know how to isolate that from run of the mill aging, but he's awful either way.  

Did his spin rates and the like really change that much?  I'm not sure he's even the type of guy who'd be super affected by that.  

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No but the injured reliever Hahn signed who came back May 9th is injured again, for maybe another month even though he was placed on the 15 day IL so there's that.

Wake me up when Dallas is shit canned so I can celebrate.

55 minutes ago, bighurt574 said:

I don't know how to isolate that from run of the mill aging, but he's awful either way.  

Did his spin rates and the like really change that much?  I'm not sure he's even the type of guy who'd be super affected by that.  

Better command due to sticky stuff?

2 hours ago, bighurt574 said:

He went from Cy Young to Jaime Navarro.  There was no slide. He flipped like an upside turtle.

2 hours ago, bighurt574 said:

1028F2A6-254F-4534-B56D-545D900115ED.jpeg
It’s almost impossible to see anything game by game so here’s monthly. 

The season to season changes look way bigger than anything that happened in June of last year. There are some changes over time but if you can point to any factor and say “here’s the clear signal!” Then you’ve seen something I haven’t. The 2020 spin rate spike is interesting though as that was his last dominant stretch.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Better command due to sticky stuff?

That's the only thing I can think of. His spin rates basically didn't change. 

Weirdly enough, a lot of the high spin rate guys aren't really having problems anymore post crackdown. 

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

1028F2A6-254F-4534-B56D-545D900115ED.jpeg
It’s almost impossible to see anything game by game so here’s monthly. 

The season to season changes look way bigger than anything that happened in June of last year. There are some changes over time but if you can point to any factor and say “here’s the clear signal!” Then you’ve seen something I haven’t. The 2020 spin rate spike is interesting though as that was his last dominant stretch.

Um so, as someone who reads charts, this is what I see.

image.png

54 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Um so, as someone who reads charts, this is what I see.

image.png

Do you see how you put the vertical line after July 2021? Here’s game by game last year. His spin rates peaked in July after the checks.

19F1DE02-F530-4DBD-BAF2-7C7AF9B39F62.jpeg

21 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Why would the sets of data show two different things?

They don’t. Both show:

1. Extra checks start in June ‘21.
2. Keuchel’s spin rate goes up for 6 weeks, highest of his career.
3. Your vertical line to start August 
4. Spin rate starts declining.
5. Decline continues into ‘22.

If you can make sense of that in terms of the ban and gear checks, please do so. I can’t.