Carlos Rodon... What could the Sox gotten in trade?

DanofDuPage

Carlos Rodon has gotten off to a fast start with the Giants. We have seen that before like last year. Hurt in other years. Today he is down 4-0 to the Cardinals in the 2nd.  Just couldn’t finish a season. The Sox gave up on Carlos and let him walk. Over the last couple of years they could have gotten a quality player in trade. What is Carlos Rodon worth?

30 minutes ago, DanofDuPage said:

Carlos Rodon has gotten off to a fast start with the Giants. We have seen that before like last year. Hurt in other years. Today he is down 4-0 to the Cardinals in the 2nd.  Just couldn’t finish a season. The Sox gave up on Carlos and let him walk. Over the last couple of years they could have gotten a quality player in trade. What is Carlos Rodon worth?

He was a free agent and thus not the property of the Sox to trade, so what they could have gotten was nothing.

But to answer the OP, they were never going to trade him last year...it wouldn't have made any sense for a playoff contender to sell off their best pitcher in-season.  It would have been unprecedented.  Not even the Rays have done something like that, they were trying to deal Glasnow but he was injured, that was a totally financial-based decision.

And most could feel the second half decline already coming based on his previous workload.  By July 31st, he was already a major question mark for the Sox and the rest of baseball.

4 minutes ago, DanofDuPage said:

Another ignorant reply. So over all the years Rick Hahn never had anyone interested in Carlos Rodon? Your answer has no relevance. Bow Wow!

When has he ever had two consistently healthy full seasons?

He was like the pitching version of Eloy Jimenez until the first four months of 2021, when his career/future was really on the line...back to the wall.

Like, when were you going to trade him? Last year? Because otherwise, he had no real value.

This is like my mom randomly texting me yesterday that the Sox should trade Engel and Mendick (for Montas) to make room for Burger and Sheets. 

Rodon didn't have trade value his last couple of years here. 

It would take him getting through a full season of pitching like this and staying healthy before I truly regret not giving him 2 years/44 mil.

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Keuchel basically averages 10 MPH less on his FB and could only dream of having that slider (when he's ON), but okay, sure.

The point I was trying to make was he looked like dog crap and he did. I wasn't comparing his pitching style or types of pitches. 

10 hours ago, DanofDuPage said:

Another ignorant reply. So over all the years Rick Hahn never had anyone interested in Carlos Rodon? Your answer has no relevance. Bow Wow!

They’re actually giving you good responses. Dude tossed like 30 innings combined between 2019-2020 (was a free agent after the short 2020). What do you think that’s worth?

24 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

They’re actually giving you good responses. Dude tossed like 30 innings combined between 2019-2020 (was a free agent after the short 2020). What do you think that’s worth?

Exactly. He was so in demand, on the open market he commanded the exact same as Vince Velaszquez.

12 hours ago, DanofDuPage said:

You missed over the last couple of years what could the Sox have gotten. I know he was a free agent last year.

You missed that he was injured before last year a lot

• Like 1

Carlos Rodon  had absolutely zero trade value in the last few years except for when they needed him most last year.  He was hurt in 2019 and 2020.  He was a free agent in the winter of 20-21, and got a $3 million offer as a starting pitcher.  That right there is the definition of zero trade value.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DanofDuPage said:

Ignorant reply. 3rd pick in the draft. Lefty. Also has thrown a no hitter. He has value. What could the Sox have gotten?

With his injury history it is unlikely he would have had much trade value.  I would imagine he would return little more than a minor league lotto ticket prior to last season. 

11 hours ago, Richie said:

Rodon didn't have trade value his last couple of years here. 

It would take him getting through a full season of pitching like this and staying healthy before I truly regret not giving him 2 years/44 mil.

I still would have taken that risk myself over letting walk for nothing.