Carlos Rodon... What could the Sox gotten in trade?

DanofDuPage

18 hours ago, DanofDuPage said:

Carlos Rodon has gotten off to a fast start with the Giants. We have seen that before like last year. Hurt in other years. Today he is down 4-0 to the Cardinals in the 2nd.  Just couldn’t finish a season. The Sox gave up on Carlos and let him walk. Over the last couple of years they could have gotten a quality player in trade. What is Carlos Rodon worth?

If you want to know what the Sox could have gotten for Rodon, you need to specify the exact point in time you are referring to. Trade value is all about years of control, health, and performance. All three of those things varied greatly over the course of Rodon's tenure with the Sox.

So if you want to know what Rodon is worth, which point in time are you asking about?

38 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Some guy called into the post game show complaining that they let Rodon go.  Seemed especially strange timing considering what a night Cueto had.  Was it you, dan of dupage?

Undoubtedly had a 5-6 player trade proposal to being Rafael Palmeiro back to the Cubs...

Edited by caulfield12

I just noticed Rodon’s ERA is up to 3.49. I guess one really bad start will do that to you. Giants sure haven’t been babying him at all as he’s #12 in most pitches thrown in MLB thus far. Wonder if he’ll hold up this year unlike last year. Not even Memorial Day yet so we’ll find out over the next couple months how that’s looking.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Green Line said:

Some guy called into the post game show complaining that they let Rodon go.  Seemed especially strange timing considering what a night Cueto had.  Was it you, dan of dupage?

Sorry not me this time. I guess at least 2 Sox fans wanted to get something for Rodon.

7 minutes ago, DanofDuPage said:

Sorry not me this time. I guess at least 2 Sox fans wanted to get something for Rodon.

All Sox fans would have loved to get something for him, but this isn't OOTP.  He is a guy who had major injuries and hadn't had an actually good season in five seasons before last year.  He came off of TJS in 2019, so both that and 2020 were washouts where he showed nothing.  2018, he had a FIP near 5, and his strikeout rate and stuff fell off pretty hard, probably because he was nursing an injury which turned into his TJS a year later.  2017 he was hurt again with only 12 starts and didn't even make 70 innings.

Taking all of that into account, the entire world had a crack at him in the 2020-21 offseason, and literally no one was willing to offer him anymore than what Vince Velazquez got as a free agent.  If he had trade value, he would have been signed for  A LOT more than $3 million and an invite to spring training.  Pitchers with trade value get a LOT more, both in terms of years and dollars.

So as you attack everyone for saying the obvious, when do you think they should have traded him and what value do you think he had pre-2021?  I sure don't see it, but let's actually hear you logic instead of your hurt feelings.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

All Sox fans would have loved to get something for him, but this isn't OOTP.  He is a guy who had major injuries and hadn't had an actually good season in five seasons before last year.  He came off of TJS in 2019, so both that and 2020 were washouts where he showed nothing.  2018, he had a FIP near 5, and his strikeout rate and stuff fell off pretty hard, probably because he was nursing an injury which turned into his TJS a year later.  2017 he was hurt again with only 12 starts and didn't even make 70 innings.

Taking all of that into account, the entire world had a crack at him in the 2020-21 offseason, and literally no one was willing to offer him anymore than what Vince Velazquez got as a free agent.  If he had trade value, he would have been signed for  A LOT more than $3 million and an invite to spring training.  Pitchers with trade value get a LOT more, both in terms of years and dollars.

So as you attack everyone for saying the obvious, when do you think they should have traded him and what value do you think he had pre-2021?  I sure don't see it, but let's actually hear you logic instead of your hurt feelings.

I don’t have any hurt feelings. You presented good points. You also didn’ t Make any stupid remarks. I believe that we missed the boat. He was offered and signed with the Giants pretty fast at 2 years $44,000,000. He has pitched well till his last outing. They saw something, what did we miss? $44 million is a lot to pay someone who is worthless. A QO should have been made. I see a low budget team like the Brewers get Willy Adams for a couple of relievers. Luis Urias was part of a package from the Padres. Either would be better than what we have at 2nd base. The Brewers have won their division 4 or 5 years in a row. They picked up JBJ for a year and turned him into Hunter Renfroe. He has hit 9 homers this year and would look nice in right field for the Sox. Deals are made all the time. 

Just now, DanofDuPage said:

I don’t have any hurt feelings. You presented good points. You also didn’ t Make any stupid remarks. I believe that we missed the boat. He was offered and signed with the Giants pretty fast at 2 years $44,000,000. He has pitched well till his last outing. They saw something, what did we miss? $44 million is a lot to pay someone who is worthless. A QO should have been made. I see a low budget team like the Brewers get Willy Adams for a couple of relievers. Luis Urias was part of a package from the Padres. Either would be better than what we have at 2nd base. The Brewers have won their division 4 or 5 years in a row. They picked up JBJ for a year and turned him into Hunter Renfroe. He has hit 9 homers this year and would look nice in right field for the Sox. Deals are made all the time. 

So we were supposed to trade him in 2021 and punt on the playoffs?  My whole argument was he had no trade value until 2021, and in 2021 he was too valuable to trade.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DanofDuPage said:

And the Sox let their #1 starter walk after the season and got nothing. The Giants picked him up fast. No QO just let him walk. He has value. 

He didn't have value when the Sox could have afford to trade him. The QO is a completely different thing.

2 minutes ago, DanofDuPage said:

Rodon wasn’t going to sign another 1 year contract. The QO would have been $18.4 million. He would have turned it down and the Sox would have gotten the 80th pick in the draft and another $800k into the Sox bonus pool.

That is correct. You’re just being confusing because your initial post (and posts after) say they should have traded him.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

7 minutes ago, DanofDuPage said:

Rodon wasn’t going to sign another 1 year contract. The QO would have been $18.4 million. He would have turned it down and the Sox would have gotten the 80th pick in the draft and another $800k into the Sox bonus pool.

Again, this is not the same as trading him.  Those are two completely different things.

• Thanks 3