Carlos Rodon... What could the Sox gotten in trade?

DanofDuPage

11 minutes ago, DanofDuPage said:

It is the same. Get something for him. My original question is what is he worth?Sox did him a favor and let him walk. That cost them an extra draft pick. I still believe he had trade value. But get something . The Giants are thrilled to have him.

You’re still failing to answer the question “when” did he have trade value? When are you saying they should have traded him?

Edited by Bob Sacamano

16 minutes ago, DanofDuPage said:

It is the same. Get something for him. My original question is what is he worth?Sox did him a favor and let him walk. That cost them an extra draft pick. I still believe he had trade value. But get something . The Giants are thrilled to have him.

There is a difference.

There was literally no plausible time in the last four seasons for the Sox to trade Carlos Rodon.

The QO is a completely different discussion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Again what is he worth. Yes the QO matters.

2014 Drafted

2015 Called up. He has trade value

2016 9/10 record. 28 Starts 4.04 era. He has trade value

2017 12 Starts. Hurt but still has trade value

2018 20 Starts 6-8 record Bad Sox team he has trade value

2021 come back year 13-5  record 2.37 he has trade value

2022 Giants get a bargain. Sox get nothing

The Sox absolutely should have offered Rodon the QO for the draft pick alone.  However, previous to his semi break out 2021, one in which he was on fumes at the end, Rodon was not worth much on the open market.  He came back for $3M and shined the first time he was relatively healthy in years.  Years.  He had zero trade value the past few years and looked like an oft injured busted high pick.  The White Sox would never have considered trading him in the years prior to his injury plagued seasons, nor would any team.  There is no argument to be had here.  Recouping draft pick compensation is not equal to him having tangible trade value that would have yielded much of anything in return.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DanofDuPage said:

2014 Drafted

The rebuilding 2018 Sox probably wanted to keep the young Rodon in hopes of him becoming 2021 Rodon.

2021, no way he was being traded.

So...this comes down to, yes, he should have gotten the QO, which like, 80% of this board agrees with.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Quin said:

The rebuilding 2018 Sox probably wanted to keep the young Rodon in hopes of him becoming 2021 Rodon.

2021, no way he was being traded.

So...this comes down to, yes, he should have gotten the QO, which like, 80% of this board agrees with.

Rodon started the 2018 season on the injured list with a serious shoulder injury that knocked him out for several months. Someone might have given you a pittance for him at that point once he got back, but teams also don't mess with shoulder injuries and his stats at the trade deadline had some red flags (4.5-5.0 FIP at the time). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanofDuPage said:

2014 Drafted

The title of the thread is quite literally What could the Sox have gotten in TRADE.  So the QO discussion is a move of the goalposts.

The answer to the thread title is essentially nothing before he turned into Cy Young last year.  Once he turned into Cy Young, he was too important to the team to trade.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DanofDuPage said:

2014 Drafted

Why in God's name would you trade him when he had limited value after 2018 and when you're just entering your contention window?

I mean it wouldn't even be the equivalent of Soler for Wade Davis because you weren't even going to get that much back for him.

If I recall correctly there was a little bit of chatter about whether we could trade Rodon in 2018, and I think the general consensus (possibly dominated by me) was that he'd bring back so little that it wouldn't be worth moving him - that the remote chance that you might get a year of really good pitching from him if he was ever healthy was likely worth way more than what you'd get for trading him at the time.

In 2017 people might have talked about it, but he had 2 major injuries, a biceps injury followed by the shoulder problem, so it just wasn't practical once the rebuild started to try trading him until he was healthier.

On 5/16/2022 at 10:41 AM, Tnetennba said:

I still would have taken that risk myself over letting walk for nothing.  

Losing Rodon really isn't this team's issue right now. Kopech has slid into the rotation and done exceptionally. The injuries to Lynn and the rest of the guys still out - along with the slow starts with our bats and reoccurring bullpen struggles would not be any different. I am not sure he moves the needle for this team as much as (some) people think he would. We're a .500 team right now and deservedly so. Once Lynn is healthy, assuming he still resembles the guy we saw last season, our rotation is our greatest strength. It should be in the mix for being one of the best in baseball.

Our rotation is in very good shape. 

I don't regret letting Rodon walk - as much as I regret going into the season with other question marks (which we short changed) that are proving to be holes. Now, we're in the position of having to probably mortgage a portion of our future away in order to fill those weak spots at the deadline, if we wish to truly contend for a WS title this season. 

Edited by Richie

37 minutes ago, Richie said:

Losing Rodon really isn't this team's issue right now. Kopech has slid into the rotation and done exceptionally. The injuries to Lynn and the rest of the guys still out - along with the slow starts with our bats and reoccurring bullpen struggles would not be any different. I am not sure he moves the needle for this team as much as (some) people think he would. We're a .500 team right now and deservedly so. Once Lynn is healthy, assuming he still resembles the guy we saw last season, our rotation is our greatest strength. It should be in the mix for being one of the best in baseball.

Our rotation is in very good shape. 

I don't regret letting Rodon walk - as much as I regret going into the season with other question marks (which we short changed) that are proving to be holes. Now, we're in the position of having to probably mortgage a portion of our future away in order to fill those weak spots at the deadline, if we wish to truly contend for a WS title this season. 

Suffice it to say we would have had 1 likely 2 more victories compared to Lambert and VV starts.

Record in VV starts 3-3.

10 9 9 runs total allowed across those three losses, obviously bullpen played a part.

7 5 3 earned runs allowed in losses.  The 7 cancels out the recent Rodon outing against STL.

Lambert went 3 2/3 and 2 ER in a 2-1 loss to CLE.  3 and 2 in a 5-1 loss to Seattle.

So that's a team record of 3-5. 4-5 including Cueto's start, 4-6 record with Davis Martin's last night.

Of course that doesn't include Keuchel because he would have still been in the rotation with Lynn out.

So I would feel confident with Rodon's similar #'s to SFG that we would instead be 4 games over rather than merely .500, a full two game shift.

Edited by caulfield12

• 2 weeks later...

Rodon was at 94-97.

Likely to be a dreaded dead arm period these last few starts.

The Reds have actually been scoring a lot of runs the last 2-3 weeks, especially at Great American Ballpark.

We will see where he is at the end of July.

His FIP and FIP+ were well under 3 coming into that game.

1.5 fWAR x $8.5 means he has already been worth nearly $13 million.   

Will Pollock VV Harrison Leury Grandal/McGuire and Keuchel even equal 1.5 fWAR for the entire 2022 season?

Edited by caulfield12

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Rodon was at 94-97.

Likely to be a dreaded dead arm period these last few starts.

The Reds have actually been scoring a lot of runs the last 2-3 weeks, especially at Great American Ballpark.

We will see where he is at the end of July.

His FIP and FIP+ were well under 3 coming into that game.

1.5 fWAR x $8.5 means he has already been worth nearly $13 million.   

Will Pollock VV Harrison Leury Grandal/McGuire and Keuchel even equal 1.5 fWAR for the entire 2022 season?

Dead arm and we’re only in May? That doesn’t bode well for him over the next 4 months…So much for him having built up a lot more innings and stamina than Kopech prior to this season..

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Dead arm and we’re only in May? That doesn’t bode well for him over the next 4 months…So much for him having built up a lot more innings and stamina than Kopech prior to this season..

Every pitcher goes through it for 2-3 starts...just the timing has been thrown off by the abbreviated spring training schedule.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Every pitcher goes through it for 2-3 starts...just the timing has been thrown off by the abbreviated spring training schedule.

Last season when he hit his dead arm period it wasn’t until July and he never recovered the rest of the season…