Menechino is movable

brijames1957

1 minute ago, harkness99 said:

i hate our offense... but lets be real

Do players even listen to hitting instructors?

The Sox are one of the top ground ball hitting teams in baseball. Nobody else hits more to the opposite field than the Sox do. It's clear that the players are listening to Menechino and it's not working. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

i hate our offense... but lets be real

Do mlb players even listen to hitting instructors?

In the minors perhaps but when they get here.... don't think there is a lot of influence.

The teams that make the playoffs every single season spend a lot of money on hitting coaches, what does that tell you? 

48 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

The teams that make the playoffs every single season spend a lot of money on hitting coaches, what does that tell you? 

Not much to be honest.

Certain teams pay more for everything including established stars who are definitely not changing their hitting approach when they get there.

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

The Sox are one of the top ground ball hitting teams in baseball. Nobody else hits more to the opposite field than the Sox do. It's clear that the players are listening to Menechino and it's not working. 

I agree the white sox have a horrible approach to hitting - but it's been going on for a decade and much more complex than just a hitting coach who I think many of the players don't even listen to.

I'm fine with firing him, but it would change little. 

Problems go way deeper.

5 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

I agree the white sox have a horrible approach to hitting - but it's been going on for a decade and much more complex than just a hitting coach who I think many of the players don't even listen to.

I'm fine with firing him, but it would change little. 

Problems go way deeper.

Except Chino has a track record prior to joining the Sox (with the Marlins) that his teams are in the top of the league when it comes to ground balls, that’s not a coincidence. I agree that organization as a whole has a terrible approach, but Menichino was an awful hire. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

Certain teams pay more for everything including established stars who are definitely not changing their hitting approach when they get there.

that is completely wrong and outdated. MLB players change their approach all the time. Here is an article on Crawford's unbelievable 2021, and how the MULTIPLE hitting coaches for the SF Giants worked with numerous hitters to have career offensive years. The 2021 Giants squad had a major offensive approach change.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/giants/how-adjustments-turned-giants-brandon-crawford-all-star

The Twins also have multiple hitting coaches and have been making trades for players that compliment their organizational philosophy. They develop CURRENT MLB hitters to improve their swing plane:

https://theathletic.com/2874847/2021/10/07/twins-reassign-their-hitting-coach-with-designs-on-updating-their-organizational-philosophy/

Also worth noting how the Twins are loading up on hitting coaches to fill their MILB teams.

People underrate the role of the modern day hitting coach. Times have changed and analytics are being utilized more than ever in improving production at the plate. The Twins will always have lineups full of "who?" that will produce. We will always see the same teams near the top like the Astros who lose their stars but are easily replaced with depth from their WELL COACHED minor leagues. 

5 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

that is completely wrong and outdated. MLB players change their approach all the time. Here is an article on Crawford's unbelievable 2021, and how the MULTIPLE hitting coaches for the SF Giants worked with numerous hitters to have career offensive years. The 2021 Giants squad had a major offensive approach change.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/giants/how-adjustments-turned-giants-brandon-crawford-all-star

The Twins also have multiple hitting coaches and have been making trades for players that compliment their organizational philosophy. They develop CURRENT MLB hitters to improve their swing plane:

https://theathletic.com/2874847/2021/10/07/twins-reassign-their-hitting-coach-with-designs-on-updating-their-organizational-philosophy/

Also worth noting how the Twins are loading up on hitting coaches to fill their MILB teams.

People underrate the role of the modern day hitting coach. Times have changed and analytics are being utilized more than ever in improving production at the plate. The Twins will always have lineups full of "who?" that will produce. We will always see the same teams near the top like the Astros who lose their stars but are easily replaced with depth from their WELL COACHED minor leagues. 

key thing you said there - well coached minor leagues and re-assigning coaches to implement a system I agree with.

The white sox system of hitting was shit  for years before Chino got here.

Edited by harkness99

11 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

key thing you said there - well coached minor leagues and re-assigning coaches to implement a system I agree with.

The white sox system of hitting was shit  for years before Chino got here.

Except the 2021 Giants veteran players all had career years with completely altered swings. They improved on LA and hitting the ball on the barrel of the bat more than any other team in the league. 

https://theathletic.com/2791974/2021/08/26/the-2021-giants-are-lucky-how-to-refute-the-friend-or-co-worker-who-keeps-telling-you-that/

You are standing by "you cant teach an old dog new tricks" which isnt the case anymore. Maybe 10+ years ago, but not now. 

It has only been 69 PA so hard to say if Yermin altered his approach, but check this out:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/yermin-mercedes-606213?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

lowered his GB%, hitting the ball more on the sweet spot (drastic increase). 

• Like 1

Imagine thinking in an era where there's so much focus on launch angle, exit velocity, hard hit balls, etc., where you have phenomenal video on swings from every angle imaginable, that hitting coaches aren't a HUGE part of the organizational development.... Jesus Christ. As has been pointed out, several teams have MULTIPLE hitting coaches. The White Sox, PER USUAL, are way behind the times. 

Menenchino is an absolute fucking joke, with a track record of TERRIBLE hitting teams. And here we are.

• Thanks 1