Menechino is movable

brijames1957

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I thought Jerry Goldsmith's Soundtrack from Hoosier was the best compliment to the movie, really helped bring one back to the 1950s, and was the best complimentary piece.

That said, the best scene / song pairing was Elias' death in Platoon, as backed by Adagio For Strings.

Barber's piece is without a doubt one of my favorite classical works.  I too thought of this scene when I saw Platoon at the top of your list.  Well done, Sir.

• Thanks 1

When I got home last night, my better half was watching "Moneyball".  Not the greatest movie but I sat down with it on in the background.  What I thought was funny and never caught before, when Beane trades away Giambi and Pena, he also sends some guys to the minors.....one of those guys was Menechino.  I laughed when I heard that and thought of this thread.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, wegner said:

When I got home last night, my better half was watching "Moneyball".  Not the greatest movie but I sat down with it on in the background.  What I thought was funny and never caught before, when Beane trades away Giambi and Pena, he also sends some guys to the minors.....one of those guys was Menechino.  I laughed when I heard that and thought of this thread.

Clearly we need to hire Carlos Pena as our hitting coach. 

Also hard not to think of those teams without Giambi's brother and that crazy play at that plate with Jeter and how it played such a role in his eventual fate in life.

Edited by caulfield12

25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You were just telling us yesterday that they were worse.

What I said was based on how they're playing so far, they're overperforming their run differential. 

They're not going to have 6 regulars hovering around a .600 OPS all season. 

The fact that they're .500 after how bad they've been with offense and relief pitching is GOOD and actually encouraging. 

They'll get their shit together eventually. The only question will be whether or not it will be too late when they turn it around. 

There also is the possibility that Abreu/Grandal/Pollock are just old and cooked. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They're not going to have 6 regulars hovering around a .600 OPS all season. 

Probability theory probably supports this. However, every time one rolls a die the odds of a specific number coming up are exactly the same. i.e. with a perfectly balanced cube in unchanging conditions, there is no physical reason that a 3 (or whatever), cannot keep coming up over and over for days, weeks, months...
<------ taking a break from real work to ponder the mysteries of this phenomenon.

On 5/15/2022 at 7:11 PM, brijames1957 said:

Something has to be done to shake this team up. It's not just the total lack of hitting it's the lack of any change whatsoever in their approach to hitting. No one is even attempting to work the count, or shorten their swing, or maybe try hitting the opposite way. It's just doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Which I do believe is the definition of insanity. 

The team is at or near the bottom of every offensive statistic. 5 of the 9 starters today are hitting sub .200. The only reason your not 10 or more games out of first is because you are in the worst division in baseball. 

well, this team was over rated to begin with

VERY GOOD:

Hardhit: 2nd (behind NYY)

Exit Velocity: 4th

Barrel %: 6th

VERY BAD:

Launch Angle: 26/30

OSwing%: 1/30

BB%: 1/30

Groundball%: 3/30

Swing%: 2/30

Team is flailing at everything. When we make contact its right into the ground. This has been an issue since last year. I noticed that Menechino was the hitting coach for the Marlins from 2011 to 2018, im going to do a little deep dive into their offense during that time and see if there are a few similarities. 

Edited by reiks12
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Menechino as a hitting coach of the Marlins:

2018: #1 in GB% 

2017: #1 in GB%

2016: #1 in GB%

2015: #1 in GB%

2014:: #1 in GB%

2013: #1 in GB%

1 minute ago, reiks12 said:

Menechino as a hitting coach of the Marlins (Only seeing data since 2015):

2018: SECOND TO LAST in Launch Angle

2017: LAST in Launch Angle

2016: LAST in Launch Angle

2015: LAST in Launch Angle

FIRE HIS ASS NOW!!!!!!!

It's too bad Sox management didn't have this information when they hired him.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

It's too bad Sox management didn't have this information when they hired him.

Years of Jimenez, Moncada, Vaughn, Robert, completely wasted by terrible hitting philosophy and hiring an 80 year old drunk to lead them. What a joke this org is

Edited by reiks12
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1