21 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Menechino as a hitting coach of the Marlins:

2018: #1 in GB% 

2017: #1 in GB%

2016: #1 in GB%

2015: #1 in GB%

2014:: #1 in GB%

2013: #1 in GB%

Alright, I'm on board. Time for a new hitting coach.

On 5/22/2022 at 3:34 PM, reiks12 said:

On 5/22/2022 at 3:37 PM, reiks12 said:

Menechino as a hitting coach of the Marlins (Only seeing data since 2015):

2018: SECOND TO LAST in Launch Angle

2017: LAST in Launch Angle

2016: LAST in Launch Angle

2015: LAST in Launch Angle

FIRE HIS ASS NOW!!!!!!!

I don't know how much of a difference firing him midseason will do but Sox have to try something different. These numbers are STARTLING. They have fire FM & run the other direction if they have any hope of saving this season.

Looking over progression of players:

LUIS ROBERT

Consistent numbers in Barrel%, HardHit% from 2020 to 2022. The difference is his launch angle has decreased since his rookie campaign, from 16.7 in 2020, to 13.7 in 2021, and finally 6.1 in 2022.

His GB% has increased by 15% since 2021, its now at 52.30%.

Robert is swinging out of the zone more this season than his other years (43%-48%). When swinging out of the zone, Robert connects at a 63.20% clip, up from 47% in 2020 and 56.20%. This would explain his K% going way down. In 2020 and 2021 he would swing through pitches out of the zone, however now hes connecting resulting in balls in the dirt. 

We compare Robert to Mike Trout, but he would have a long way to go. Trout's LA fluctuates from the 13s to the low 20s. His GB% is in the mid 20s. Trout chases outside the zone half as many times as Robert. 

They need to work with Robert on laying off pitches out of the zone and by increasing his LA on pitches in the zone. If they can do that Robert is going to mash for xbhs. 

Andrew Vaughn

LA decreased from 9.7 in 2021 to 5.5 today.

GB% increased from 43% to 47%

Like Robert, Vaughn has seen an increase in his O-Contact%, an increase of 7%.

Lower K%

Increase of HardHit%

Having a good year, but if he can increase his LA hes going to blow out a lot of pitchers. 

Jose Abreu

His GB% has been increasing every single season, its now up to 50%, 4% higher than last year.

His LA has decreased by 2 this season, sitting at 8.5

Abreu has increased his contact% compared to previous seasons while also striking out less

He swings at balls out of the zone 5% less than other seasons

His HardHit% is at 57%, much higher than previous seasons

Abreu is not getting any lift on the balls hes hitting, if he did he would have a year like in 2020. 

Yasmani Grandal

Decreased his LA to 12.5, down by 2 points from last season.

His GB% has increased by 4% since last year, and 8% the year before that.

Lowered his K% significantly, while simultaneously increasing his Swing% (10%!)

Swings at balls out of the zone more by 4%, and a 15% increase from 2020.

Hes hitting the ball less hard than last year, a decrease of 9%!

His BB% has decreased from 23% to 12%

Wow, so Grandal is swinging at pitches out of the zone more, decreasing his walks. When he does make contact its weak and in the dirt half the time. Grandal needs to go back to being selective and wait for his pitch. Thats all he has to do.

Tim Anderson

TA is having a remarkable season

He dropped his K% by half (22% to 11%). He is hitting the ball harder than ever (43%). 

His LA is 5, a small increase from last season

GB% sitting at 51%, in line with career

Chasing way more than previous seasons, 48% (up 7% from 2021), but hes also connecting 10% more on those swings.

I am wondering if TA is setting the tone for this offense, its like everyone is trying to hit like he is. The team needs to understand that TA is his own player, and to not try and emulate him. Honestly that is what this offense looks like they are doing. They need to play to their individual strengths which is hitting the shit out of the ball.

The team is seeing a decrease in LA and increase in GB%. They are striking out less this season while swinging at pitches out of the zone more. Menechino's strategy is this: Don't do too much with your swings, just make good contact. Unfortunately this is playing against the strengths of many A-Tier talented players on our club. Robert, Abreu, Vaughn, Eloy, and Grandal need to play to their strengths. They are not Tim Anderson, nor should they be. 

Moncada and Eloy havent played much this season, but so far their GB% are much higher than in previous years. Eloy's LA this season was 3 and his GB% was 66%..... so when he returns he better turn that around. Moncada is just much weaker, his HardHit% is way down back to Covid levels. 

Edited by reiks12
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 5/22/2022 at 3:34 PM, reiks12 said:

On 5/22/2022 at 3:37 PM, reiks12 said:

Menechino as a hitting coach of the Marlins (Only seeing data since 2015):

2018: SECOND TO LAST in Launch Angle

2017: LAST in Launch Angle

2016: LAST in Launch Angle

2015: LAST in Launch Angle

FIRE HIS ASS NOW!!!!!!!

Ok you convinced me. I'm on board. Fire his arse right now. 

TLR: Frank and Howie, we are making some quick changes to the coaching staff. Unfortunately, we are going to have to let you both of you go.

Frank And Howie: No, no, no don’t do that we promise, we will turn Leury the Legend into a hitting machine. 

TLR: We’ll if you say so, we are impressed with the plan. Here’s a 3 year guaranteed contract for both of you and congrats! We can’t wait to show off our new and improved future utility infielder to the whole league.

Edited by maloney.adam

On 5/20/2022 at 7:56 AM, wegner said:

Barber's piece is without a doubt one of my favorite classical works.  I too thought of this scene when I saw Platoon at the top of your list.  Well done, Sir.

The best movie soundtrack that went hand in hand with the movie is Baby Driver in my eyes. Also Atomic Blonde.

27 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The best movie soundtrack that went hand in hand with the movie is Baby Driver in my eyes. Also Atomic Blonde.

Totally agree with you on Baby Driver.  The getaway scene to "Bellbottoms" is especially outstanding.  I Didn't see Atomic Blonde.

One of my favorite soundtracks is Rain Man....yes I'm getting old.

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Times have changed. Apparently now it's the hitting coach's fault if a roster is full of ground ball hitters. We are only a decade removed from constant calls for Greg Walkers head for lift and pull.

But when the hitting coach had similar issues in Miami, it makes you wonder if he’s part of the problem and not part of the solution

19 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Times have changed. Apparently now it's the hitting coach's fault if a roster is full of ground ball hitters. We are only a decade removed from constant calls for Greg Walkers head for lift and pull.

Every Sox hitter has increased their GB% over the last few years. These werent groundball hitters before. 

If you are in the camp that says hitting coaches dont mean much, then why are teams like the Twins and Giants hiring them by the boatloads? 

Just now, wegner said:

Totally agree with you on Baby Driver.  The getaway scene to "Bellbottoms" is especially outstanding.  I Didn't see Atomic Blonde.

One of my favorite soundtracks is Rain Man....yes I'm getting old.

Atomic Blonde is spy thriller set  when the Berlin Wall was about to be torn down and in Berlin.  So the music from that era of rock had a lot of European club type new wave dance flavor and so they played a lot of early to late 80's stuff like New Order, Flock of Seagulls, Peter Schilling, Depeche Mode, Bowie, Nena, Siouxsie and the Banshees, After the Fire. So if you can stomach that type of music, of which some of it was played in German, which I had never heard before and you like Charlize Theron you'd probably like it.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Atomic Blonde is spy thriller set  when the Berlin Wall was about to be torn down and in Berlin.  So the music from that era of rock had a lot of European club type new wave dance flavor and so they played a lot of early to late 80's stuff like New Order, Flock of Seagulls, Peter Schilling, Depeche Mode, Bowie, Nena, Siouxsie and the Banshees, After the Fire. So if you can stomach that type of music, of which some of it was played in German, which I had never heard before and you like Charlize Theron you'd probably like it.

I will check it out thanks.  I like a good deal of that music...even in German as long as they took a pass on 99 luft balloons.

7 minutes ago, wegner said:

I will check it out thanks.  I like a good deal of that music...even in German as long as they took a pass on 99 luft balloons.

LOL they didn't. But the Peter Schilling song Major Tom I think they play it in German too and Der Commissar. I would've included Nina Hagen singing the German version of White Punks on Dope in the soundtrack from 1978 . Might not have fit the time period but awesome by the Tubes and Nina Hagen did it justice singing it in German.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I never been a big fan of blaming coaches but even the eye test  and Stone and Bennetti was telling me the team is making  more contact and striking out less but the power is gone and the walks have vanished. If everything @reiks12 has posted doesn't convince you that a change is needed , nothing will.

Lots of our hitters were young and impressionable when Menechino was hired and it's those guys that drive you crazy with the GB rates. It works fine for Tim and Luis Robert , guys with quick bats who can let the ball get deep on them. To an extent it's also working well with Vaughn since he's still in his MLB infancy and has looked a little better against RHP by going to RF.

But you need guys who know how to wait for a pitch in their zone to pull and clobber it, not keep looking for outside pitches to put in play to the right side. The Sox aren't utilizing doubles and HR's down the lines. They've become a bunch of weak opposite field hitters. We could use a little lift and pull now. If the K rate goes up so be it. I'll take a truckload full of HR's and less double plays. All that contact hitting just means we keep hitting into the shifts on the ground and flying out to the deepest parts of the ball park or 60 % of the field.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1