Sox Reportedly Calling up Davis Martin

Heads22

I couldn't find a lot of information on the guy. His stuff seems better than it was just a year ago. 

You can see his pitches here: https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?gamePk=666242.

This was his only start in Charlotte where they had Statcast. 

Fastball got all the way up to 96, sat close to 94. Throws his fastball about half the time, change up 25%, curveball 20% of the time, slider 5%. He also has a cutter and sinker but he rarely threw them. 

I think if he can exhibit some command he should do alright. His stuff seems better than Jimmy Lambert's. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I couldn't find a lot of information on the guy. His stuff seems better than it was just a year ago. 

You can see his pitches here: https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?gamePk=666242.

Fastball got all the way up to 96, sat close to 94. Throws his fastball about half the time, change up 25%, curveball 20% of the time, slider 5%. He also has a cutter and sinker but he rarely threw them. 

I think if he can exhibit some command he should do alright. His stuff seems better than Jimmy Lambert's. 

Solid velo at least. Let’s see what the kid can do! 

10 minutes ago, chw42 said:

He also works exclusively out of the stretch. He doesn't have the greatest command but makes it work. I was more impressed with the change up than the breaking pitches in the starts I've seen. Hoping for the best. He's easily the best option the Sox have in the high minors currently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

He also works exclusively out of the stretch. He doesn't have the greatest command but makes it work. I was more impressed with the change up than the breaking pitches in the starts I've seen. Hoping for the best. He's easily the best option the Sox have in the high minors currently.

Yeah his change up got a lot of whiffs in that game I linked up there. 

13 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Not counting Giolito right since he’s on the Covid IL?

That doesn’t clear a 40 man roster spot, only an active 26 man roster spot. Gio would need to move to the 60 day IL to clear a 40 man slot.

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That doesn’t clear a 40 man roster spot, only an active 26 man roster spot. Gio would need to move to the 60 day IL to clear a 40 man slot.

Hmm did that change? I remember being placed on the Covid IL did open up a spot on the 40-man roster before. It’s how the Marlins managed to have a 60 player 40-man roster a couple of years ago.

I currently see 42 guys on the 40-man roster, with Stiever being the only guy listed as 60-day IL so I'm going to assume this is still the case.

To open up a spot on the 40, they should be able to transfer Crochet to the 60-day IL.

Edited by Bob Sacamano