5/17 Sox @ Royals Game 2 | 6:10PM CT

13 minutes ago, Dan Pasqua said:

But TLR is still the manager

I hate La Russa as a manager, to be clear - I just don’t think he has an outsized effect on outcomes. People blasted his G1 lineup and the Sox won. People blasted one of his Cubs lineups - and they won. People have studied the impact a manager has on win total and it’s not that big. Do I want a different manager? Absolutely. 

The bottom line is we have four extraordinarily capable starters after Lynn is healthy and proven commodities all over the lineup. If they just start hitting at career norms this team is drastically better. 

We are playing extremely bad baseball, and still sporting a .500ish record. I still like our chances, TLR or no. 

• Like 2

TLR is not scrappy, fundamental, intuitive or good at analytics or situation baseball.  Dude has no clue how to put out a lineup, assemble a coaching staff, get team motivated or have a spirited and fun dugout.  He is only good at killing momo as soon as it comes along.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

To continue the Braves comparison, the WS champs were 31-37 against teams with a winning record.

The Braves have a competent Front Office and Ownership group, capable of bringing in quality talent to fill in for injuries, including their top player (Acuna).

You think the Sox are winning a World Series if Robert goes down for the season, like Atlanta did? The Braves brought in four quality outfielders. Hahn brought in Jake Lamb, Nick Williams, Brian Goodwin and Billy Hamilton.

/ End Discussion

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The Braves have a competent Front Office and Ownership group, capable of bringing in quality talent to fill in for injuries, including their top player (Acuna).

You think the Sox are winning a World Series if Robert goes down for the season, like Atlanta did? The Braves brought in four quality outfielders. Hahn brought in Jake Lamb, Nick Williams, Brian Goodwin and Billy Hamilton.

/ End Discussion

No matter what happens this season, whether we are good for two months and 15 over .500 or we are scuffling along at .500, we absolutely must add the right pieces at the deadline. Hahn did not succeed last year but literally no one in baseball thought the acquisitions of Tepera, Kimbrel, or Hernandez were duds. Everyone loved it on here, everyone loved it around baseball. I don’t see how anyone could see those failures coming. Some things don’t work out despite making the right moves. I believe Hahn is capable of making right moves this year, and hopefully the variance runs hard the other way. 

1 minute ago, Green Line said:

Yeah, don't see and don't hear cranks like Ozzie who just snipe from the sidelines.

Those tweets were directed at La Russa, after La Russa berated, benched, and was just fine with Minnesota throwing at Yermin for hitting a home run.

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

/ End Discussion

And players that are at the end of their careers. Thinking they still have enough left in them. Lol

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

Cool, bye

That's fine.  Giolito's already got one foot out the door.

Then what? Hope for another extension with Robert before his future value shoots through the roof?

Kopech? Cease?  Vaughn?

Long term deals with 1B that are not superstars and pitchers with TJ histories...basically everyone now that starts...don't usually end up well.

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Those tweets were directed at La Russa, after La Russa berated, benched, and was just fine with Minnesota throwing at Yermin for hitting a home run.

Yes... and since then they've made up and TA very publicly called for Tony to return in 2022.  Again, what point do you think this proves.

1 hour ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

Wasn't a dumb send. Benintendi's arm is not good. Just got a good throw that time. The way this team is hitting, rather chance that with 2 outs.

Surprised you wrote this. I mean, cmon. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know he was going to be out by the proverbial mile. Just no reason to send him. The chances of Robert putting the ball in play and finding a hole were way better than sending leadfoot Harrison.

5 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

No matter what happens this season, whether we are good for two months and 15 over .500 or we are scuffling along at .500, we absolutely must add the right pieces at the deadline. Hahn did not succeed last year but literally no one in baseball thought the acquisitions of Tepera, Kimbrel, or Hernandez were duds. Everyone loved it on here, everyone loved it around baseball. I don’t see how anyone could see those failures coming. Some things don’t work out despite making the right moves. I believe Hahn is capable of making right moves this year, and hopefully the variance runs hard the other way. 

But we used to say the exact same thing with every FA class...and usually ended up disappointed.

Almost nobody liked his offseason, and payroll flexibility won't be high now with Cueto added and averaging 21000 per game.

10 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Seems like a bit of revisionist history there...I do not remember everyone here being happy with those trade deadline acquisitions last year.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Yep the send was ok, Harrison’s angle wasn’t.  If he had a better turn, that throw might hit him.

Would you guys look at the replay and tell me it was a good send? My gosh. Disagree fully. Robert prolly would have slashed a double off a reliever who wasn't missing bats and a team that sucks.

Once again, other than some high profile tiffs with NBA superstars...when has a star player/captain in MLB called publicly for a manager to replaced or even?questioned him strongly/called him out?

Very very rare.

Unless you know the GM and especially ownership group have your back.

But TLR is a HoFer and is backed by Reins for free which everyone in baseball knows.

So you're going to risk all that...and for what?  A trade?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brijames1957 said:

I'm convinced nothing will change with the White Sox until JR is no longer the owner. Until then this is what we will have to watch. 

If someone else buys the team they'll probably relocate it out of Chicago.  JR's loyalty to this city will be hard to replicate.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

Seems like a bit of revisionist history there...I do not remember everyone here being happy with those trade deadline acquisitions last year.

Hernandez had huge power numbers but regression came quickly on both sides. Tepera fine.  Like he was a traitor to the Indians for playing well for a hated rival almost. It was weird especially with that option. Clearly not a good fit for whatever reason in our clubhouse.

But quite a few of us came out against Kimbrel being forced into 7th and 8the inning work.

Of course, he's once again 7/7 in converting saves this year so far.

Edited by caulfield12

20 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

/ End Discussion

Ok, so back to the topic at hand…we’re agreed that regular season record against good teams is far from determinative?  I’ll stick with the original goalpost if you don’t mind.

17 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Problem is they have very little to trade.  They didn’t have enough to get Manaea, for example.  Prices should be lower at the deadline, but remember there will be more teams looking to buy and all of them will have better farm systems.

1 hour ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

He just mumbles and you can’t understand wtf he is saying anyways

He is too old to be managing a big league team. Sad but true. You can't stop Father Time as much as you want to. He needs to step down. I love his career and am all for him pulling the strings still, but he's too old for this. Many people stop working around 65. Tony is 12 years past that. My gosh. And big league managers work 15 hour days for six months of the year. 

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, elrockinMT said:

Sending the runner home was absolutely the right play

With all due respect, no way! It was conceding the game basically. Did u listen to Ozzie postgame?

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Problem is they have very little to trade.  They didn’t have enough to get Manaea, for example.  Prices should be lower at the deadline, but remember there will be more teams looking to buy and all of them will have better farm systems.

Sheets and Burger are decent trading pieces, in my opinion.