Types of Losses

Texsox

Last night was a heartbreaker for me. Martin learned the hard way why wins are a horrible stat for pitchers. But I was thinking about types of losses because I can think this year we'll be getting plenty of practice. I can think of a couple different types.

Good loss. You play hard but get out played by a pitcher that is just throwing lights out. It's a 5-3 type game. Your team put out a good lineup. You scores some runs. 

Frustrating. Six run lead in the ninth and can't hold it. A Frankenstein lineup of Ozzie proportions. Lots of runners left on base. Key errors. Fans reach over to grab a ball that might have been an out. 

Bad loss. Bad call by an ump. Lucky break to the opposition. 

Heartbreaker. See last night. 

What am I missing?

21 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Last night was a heartbreaker for me. Martin learned the hard way why wins are a horrible stat for pitchers. But I was thinking about types of losses because I can think this year we'll be getting plenty of practice. I can think of a couple different types.

Good loss. You play hard but get out played by a pitcher that is just throwing lights out. It's a 5-3 type game. Your team put out a good lineup. You scores some runs. 

Frustrating. Six run lead in the ninth and can't hold it. A Frankenstein lineup of Ozzie proportions. Lots of runners left on base. Key errors. Fans reach over to grab a ball that might have been an out. 

Bad loss. Bad call by an ump. Lucky break to the opposition. 

Heartbreaker. See last night. 

What am I missing?

Playing by numbers loss- when the whole team seems to be going through the motions when batting and make little league fielding errors.

• Like 1

Some people on this site and elsewhere have said that if this team doesn't do well this year there will be big changes in the off season. I'm beginning to wonder if this team continues to struggle if this front office makes some  drastic changes to this team at the trading deadline.  It might be another white flag trade. Maybe when Eloy comes back he can add some punch to this offense. Then again, when is he coming back?

1 minute ago, WBWSF said:

Some people on this site and elsewhere have said that if this team doesn't do well this year there will be big changes in the off season. I'm beginning to wonder if this team continues to struggle if this front office makes some  drastic changes to this team at the trading deadline.  It might be another white flag trade. Maybe when Eloy comes back he can add some punch to this offense. Then again, when is he coming back?

No need to white flag it.  Retool on the fly... they need to make a big, big trade and shake things up now.

1 hour ago, Green Line said:

No need to white flag it.  Retool on the fly... they need to make a big, big trade and shake things up now.

I wouldn't trust Hahn to trade baseball cards. If LaRussa has input to hell with that idea too.

This is all Reinsdorf's fault but he could give Hahn the green light on firing LaRussa. I'd sure like to know just how much Jerry interferes with Hahns job. I'd like to think it's not that much besides setting a budget so I could say fire Hahn too since his track record figuring out how to build a winning team is pretty bad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Green Line said:

Who would we use to get this 'big, big trade'? The farm is empty and the young players like Sheets and Burger wouldn't get much in return, even more experienced players like Eloy or Moncada wouldn't get much in return. The only players who would get much in return are Anderson, Robert, Giolito and probably Vaughan, and if you are trading them away it is more than a retooling. The biggest 'trade' would be to trade in the manager and get one who is vaguely competent.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chimpton said:

Who would we use to get this 'big, big trade'? The farm is empty and the young players like Sheets and Burger wouldn't get much in return, even more experienced players like Eloy or Moncada wouldn't get much in return. The only players who would get much in return are Anderson, Robert, Giolito and probably Vaughan, and if you are trading them away it is more than a retooling. The biggest 'trade' would be to trade in the manager and get one who is vaguely competent.

Anyone considered expendable or tradable is likely at their lowest point in trade value, so you’d be selling low.  Which defeats the purpose.  Eloy would be tops on my list to trade but he’s a tarnished asset right now.  You can’t sell low on guys and expect a quality return. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I wouldn't trust Hahn to trade baseball cards. If LaRussa has input to hell with that idea too.

This is all Reinsdorf's fault but he could give Hahn the green light on firing LaRussa. I'd sure like to know just how much Jerry interferes with Hahns job. I'd like to think it's not that much besides setting a budget so I could say fire Hahn too since his track record figuring out how to build a winning team is pretty bad.

Tony's not getting fired you can stop that thought, it's not happening.  He will only leave on his terms, Jerry wouldn't want to "make another mistake" that he needs to make amends for.  Not sure how many remember Tony's last years with the Sox but the majority of fans were not in his corner when the Hawk fired him.  Tony more than any other manager at the time is responsible for all the pitching changes and the games dragging on endlessly because of all the moves he made with his bullpen.

4 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I don’t think there are going to be any wholesale changes until this current window closes

I mean that's possibly this summer. That said as noted no point in selling low. We need to just wait and see, which isn't a sexy answer but sometimes doing nothing is the move.

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I mean that's possibly this summer. That said as noted no point in selling low. We need to just wait and see, which isn't a sexy answer but sometimes doing nothing is the move.

Nah, I think it's definitely too early, I don't think it's on their mind at all. Too many key pieces with lots of control remaining. Even if they let their free agents go, this team would at least be a contender in the Central through 2024 as-is:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C4dU46AiC_pt1GtzakmASUg9UD_UnpG32kdRZ3clOnk/edit#gid=1520401900

7 hours ago, almagest said:

You can score seven runs in a game? Huh! Learn something new every day.

only max 2 per inning 'doh

2 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Nah, I think it's definitely too early, I don't think it's on their mind at all. Too many key pieces with lots of control remaining. Even if they let their free agents go, this team would at least be a contender in the Central through 2024 as-is:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C4dU46AiC_pt1GtzakmASUg9UD_UnpG32kdRZ3clOnk/edit#gid=1520401900

White Sox CBT History
The White Sox payroll has never exceeded the threshold for MLB's competitive balance tax.

8 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

only max 2 per inning 'doh

White Sox CBT History
The White Sox payroll has never exceeded the threshold for MLB's competitive balance tax.

I’m not sure what your point is. 

• Love 1