Hahn’s 2022 Offseason (So Far)

I’m going to keep this very simple and fact based, but will acknowledge this is an incredibly early post audit and things could greatly change by the end of the season.

• AJ Pollock ($11.5M, -0.4 fWAR, 63 wRC+, 5th %tile OAA)
  • Leury Garcia ($5.5M, -0.4 fWAR, 38 wRC+, 11th %tile OAA)
  • Josh Harrison ($4.0M, -0.1 fWAR, 58 wRC+, 37th %tile OAA)
  • Reese McGuire ($0.7M, -0.1 fWAR, 7 wRC+, 42 %tile framing)
  • Kendall Graveman ($8.0M, 0.5 fWAR, 1.94 FIP, 2.76 xFIP)
  • Joe Kelly ($7.0M, 0.0 fWAR, 6.42 FIP, 7.79 xFIP)
  • Vince Velasquez ($3.0M, 0.0 fWAR, 5.51 FIP, 4.63 xFIP)
  • Johnny Cueto ($3.2M, 0.2 fWAR, 1.75 FIP, 2.67 xFIP
  • Total = -0.3 fWAR for ~$9M of pro-rated spend

In total, Hahn committed $43M in payroll this year, gave up Kimbrel & Collins, and passed on offering Rodon a QO to acquire these eight players and it’s hard to imagine getting a worse return on investment.  Outside of Graveman (who has been excellent) and one quality start from Cueto, every other guy has been replacement player or worse so far.

Now to be clear, I expect most of these guys to improve.  That being said, Harrison looks completed cook and a total waste of $5.5M (including his buyout).  Committing three years to Leury is an inexcusable move for a versatile, but below average player.  And that looks even worse with Yogurt & Sosa off to strong starts and Popeye also not too far off.  Finally, only adding Velasquez when you say you need SP depth coming out of the lockout should be a fireable offense.  We could all see this pain coming expect for Hahn apparently.

Regardless of all that, there are so many better things we could have done with $43M and Hahn continues to find the way to spread his dollars across multiple needs that should be filled by a minor league system cheaply (utility guys, relievers, swing men) instead of adding legit impact talent.  Let’s hope Pollock turns things around soon as he’s the only guy Hahn added that has an impact type ceiling.

• Thanks 1

Just now, bmags said:

Looks like every Hahn offseason since 2013

It’s pretty wild that it keeps happening over and over.  I figured Hahn would finally push some chips in once we hit the peak of the competitive window and instead the dude went with another spread the wealth type offseason.  And unfortunately instead of using that money on a legit SP and a solid everyday 2B, we’ll need to tap into an improving, but still weak farm system to address our needs at the deadline.  If Bryan Ramos is still a part of this organization by August 1st color me surprised.

How long have we been critical of Hahn’s major league scouting?  And his love of wasting stupid amounts of money on the fringes instead of paying up for impact talent?  Ugh.  Add 2022 to the long list of failed off-seasons.  

Largest payroll in team history and struggling to stay around .500.  Bang up job finishing that rebuild Hahn & Co. 

I generally am not an anti-Hahn guy.  I think he did a pretty good job rebuilding this core and if healthy, the team is pretty stacked. You can't have 26 all stars.  All teams sign role players.  Even the Dodgers wanted Harrison! 

Buuuuuutt both of the last 2 offseason were PUTRID.  I think you have to do full scale changes to the FO and coaching staff is this team doesn't make a drastic turnaround AND a run in the playoffs.  Then again, this is the White Sox. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I generally am not an anti-Hahn guy.  I think he did a pretty good job rebuilding this core and if healthy, the team is pretty stacked. You can't have 26 all stars.  All teams sign role players.  Even the Dodgers wanted Harrison! 

Buuuuuutt both of the last 2 offseason were PUTRID.  I think you have to do full scale changes to the FO and coaching staff is this team doesn't make a drastic turnaround AND a run in the playoffs.  Then again, this is the White Sox. 

I’ve generally been in his corner during the rebuild and think he had a good vision of building from the ground up.  But I have lost all respect for him post TLR.  He shares responsibility for this mess and this FO should not be in charge of righting the ship. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Where would Harrison have played?  Was that before they resigned Turner at third?

Just don’t get the need for Harrison with younger/cheaper/better Gavin Lux and Chris Taylor on that roster.

He would have been the very last guy on the bench.

Hit the organization where the wallet is…Don’t go to the games against the really good teams and the Cubs series which always sells out. Just keep the stadium empty every game. Cut off watching the games on TV and spending on any merchandise or food/beverages in the stadium. Keep doing this until he is forced to sell the team to an owner that wants to put a team on the field that consistently wins.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Thanks 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Where would Harrison have played?  Was that before they resigned Turner at third?

Just don’t get the need for Harrison with younger/cheaper/better Gavin Lux and Chris Taylor on that roster.

You'd have to ask the Dodgers FO who offered him a contract. 

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Probably platoon with Lux. Whatever Hanser Alberto is doing now.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I’ve generally been in his corner during the rebuild and think he had a good vision of building from the ground up.  But I have lost all respect for him post TLR.  He shares responsibility for this mess and this FO should not be in charge of righting the ship. 

But what was the vision beyond adding a talented collection of Cuban players (along with Jimenez) to build around Tim Anderson?

Do we have any positive calling card or identity for this current team?

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Probably platoon with Lux. Whatever Hanser Alberto is doing now.

Seems to be a pretty significant gap to Harrison’s deal.  We certainly overpaid Leury and Joe Kelly as well…nobody was willing to offer anything close to those deals for those three in particular.

“Alberto's contract is worth $1.85 million guaranteed, with a $1.6 million salary in 2022 and a $2 million club option for 2023. If that option isn't exercised by the team, Alberto will receive a $250,000 buyout”2022年3月23日

• Thanks 1

Just now, bighurt574 said:

I'm no expert on the Dodgers but I doubt they were slotting him in as their everyday 2B.  

Right.  He's not really for the Sox either.  I've said it before and I will say it again, Harrison would be a fine bench player.  The process used to make him and Leury nearly everday players is and was awful.  Unfortunately, there just weren't are good fits for 2B on the FA market after Semien.  Who, by the way, has also been dreadful while getting paid a shit ton of $. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Right.  He's not really for the Sox either.  I've said it before and I will say it again, Harrison would be a fine bench player.  The process used to make him and Leury nearly everday players is and was awful.  Unfortunately, there just weren't are good fits for 2B on the FA market after Semien.  Who, by the way, has also been dreadful while getting paid a shit ton of $. 

Although he’s hurt right now, easily the smartest answer was Joey Wendle.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

This is pretty much exactly how I feel.  Glad he shook things up after 10+ years of status quo and pulled in some of the most exciting young talent we've ever seen in this organization, but pretty much everything else around the margins has been horrific, and he doesn't really have anyone to blame but himself (Tony wasn't telling him how to spend that money).

Edited by Spumoni
  • Like 1