5/18 Sox @ Royals | 7:10PM CT

Spumoni

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I had some fun with stats just now while walking the dog. I want to submit to you that yes, it is vital to play with urgency now.

We have noted repeatedly how the White Sox offense is underperforming their expected results based on contact more than the rest of the league. Turns out that is also true for the Twins, by a nearly comparable amount to the Sox. Furthermore, based on expected statistics, the Twins pitching is better than the White Sox and their hitting is better than the White Sox, and to top it off the white Sox have baseball’s worst defense. 

In other words, if things like Abreu and Grandal correct to their contact profiles, the Twins are still better. 

A couple things are left though. The Sox do have Lynn coming back and perhaps more pitching upside. The White Sox also have overplayed their run differential so they aren’t as far out as they could be.

The difference between these teams though - both teams have winning records against the AL East and West, the White Sox gained a bit of ground against the Cubs. The difference right now is that the White Sox have a terrible record against the AL Central.

Both teams on expected stats look like decent teams, but right now the Twins look better in all aspects of the game. The White Sox not only have ground to make up, but they have to do so against a schedule comparable to the Twins’s remaining schedule. 

I will submit to you that if the white Sox play like this and get Lynn back, they will still miss the playoffs. Rather, the team that wins the head to head matchups and specifically handles the weak and banged up teams in the AL Central will win the division. 

Every game punted against the AL central is a game where ground could be made up. The Twins have taken advantage of this so far and the white Sox have not. 

Final point - there will be no October baseball if the White Sox do not play substantially better. If the Twins go all out to win the Central and the White Sox save themselves for the wild card round, the Twins will be in the playoffs and the White Sox will not.

Good analysis.

Just now, Heads22 said:

I said it before, Leury is just fine in small doses, when used like a normal manager would use him

you'll get the same amount of production from him whether he plays 2-3x per week or 6-7. there will always be diminishing returns the more he plays. Completely agree.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I was going to avoid the game tonight. Promised myself a break. I was planning on a favorite bottle of wine and listen to some Steely Dan. Had it all planned. . .

I'm Tex and I'm a Soxaholic. What's the first step to recovery? 

Emotional detachment?  Being dead inside?  IDK

If I figure out the first step I’ll let you know. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

I said it before, Leury is just fine in small doses, when used like a normal manager would use him

I would really like to see how he would do in the role we’ve been told for years he’s perfect for, which is that of the super-sub.  

He’s yet to date ever served in that role.

Just now, Thad Bosley said:

I would really like to see how he would do in the role we’ve been told for years he’s perfect for, which is that of the super-sub.  

He’s yet to date ever served in that role.

Yeah dude was a super sub during and before the rebuild and now he’s a main guy somehow

• Capn12 unpinned this topic